White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2020, 09:22 AM
WSI Personality

Default Kris Bryant loses Arbitration Grievance

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...996162048?s=19

Kris Bryant has lost his grievance, as expected. I wonder if he'll get traded now?
Old 01-29-2020, 09:50 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Thought this deserved its own thread so as not to have the other one fill up with this discussion. This is a major breaking news story for MLB, the players union and will have far reaching implications on the CBA and contracts offered.

Until the CBA gets redone this will basically allow teams to continue using the mid-April call up option to extend services another year. I do expect it to get addressed in the next CBA. I think the number of days that will qualify for a year will drop to ~90 with maybe one free September call up before the clock starts ticking.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-29-2020, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Thought this deserved its own thread so as not to have the other one fill up with this discussion. This is a major breaking news story for MLB, the players union and will have far reaching implications on the CBA and contracts offered.

Until the CBA gets redone this will basically allow teams to continue using the mid-April call up option to extend services another year. I do expect it to get addressed in the next CBA. I think the number of days that will qualify for a year will drop to ~90 with maybe one free September call up before the clock starts ticking.
Looks good for us to recoup Kopech's lost season of service time in a rehab assignment.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

I think this will be a major point of contention in the next CBA. I'm just glad the Sox haven't played games with Jimenez and Robert.
No one's ever gonna take my life from me
I lay it down
A ghost is born

WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
2012 WSI Tourney Pick'em Champion

https://www.facebook.com/ModernHistoryMusic
(my band)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM
WSI Prelate

He gone. I shall enjoy the Cub fans' reactions.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-29-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He gone. I shall enjoy the Cub fans' reactions.
I'm trying to not have to move this to the WTS section because it's got bigger ramifications than just whether Bryant remains a Cub.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Looks good for us to recoup Kopech's lost season of service time in a rehab assignment.
Is there anyone who knows how these things work who can tell us about how long Kopech would need to be in the minors for the Sox to get that year of service time back?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Is there anyone who knows how these things work who can tell us about how long Kopech would need to be in the minors for the Sox to get that year of service time back?
His first game was on 8/21/2018 so if they left him down until ~June 1st this year they'd get the year back (I think)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Unless a player is optioned to the minors before landing on the IL, rehab assignments still count as major league service time. Kopech has options remaining, so they can option him to Charlotte if they so desire when they finalize the 26-man roster.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Unless a player is optioned to the minors before landing on the IL, rehab assignments still count as major league service time. Kopech has options remaining, so they can option him to Charlotte if they so desire when they finalize the 26-man roster.
I didn't know that, but it does make sense. Optioning him down rather than calling it a rehab assignment seems like blatant manipulation of the service time rules....
Old 01-29-2020, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Phew. Good news for the Sox re: Madrigal. Also, the threat of service time manipulation is exactly why the Sox had the leverage to sign first Eloy and then Robert to long-term deals buying out their arbitration years and 1 year of free agency.

There might be hell to pay at the next CBA negotiation. But for now this is good for the franchise we follow.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-29-2020, 01:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Wholly preditable. Hopefully it will be addressed in the CBA, and I expect it will be.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM
WSI Prelate

I hope this doesn't lead to another strike -- not directly, but to some sort of labor impasse that leads to a strike. Bryant's was the most extreme case considering the spring he had and the circumstances of his call-up and the comments from the Cubs at the time, a ruling in Bryant's favor could have been limited. The Cubs obviously acted in bad faith. NLRB rulings in other industries would seem to work to Bryant's advantage in his grievance. A work-stoppage when the White Sox are getting to be good would not be without precedent.

Since the grievances of Curt Flood, there has always been a problem in equating baseball employment to slavery, and I certainly don't intend to do so. But my concern is that this ruling could have the sort of effect on baseball labor negotiations that the Dred Scott decision has on the future of slavery in the United States.

Of course, if Bryant is traded before the end of the Cubs control, the idea that keeping him in the minors at the start of his rookie season, which could have cost the Cubs the division that year, wouldn't have gotten Bryant that extra year in Chicago anyway.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:02 PM
WSI Guru

He'll get traded. It's only a matter of when.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:52 AM
WSI High Priest

It's the CBA's mess let them clean it up.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004