White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I wonder if Hulu Live is going to raise their monthly subscription fee for all Cubs viewing market subscribers to account for Marquee's carriage fee?
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. They might. I feel like a lot of streaming services are in a weird spot right now because so many media companies are launching their own services, which means the name of the game is creating and developing original content. I don't know if that is more or less expensive than buying the rights to stream content.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
They signed a contract with Hulu so that people with Hulu (with live TV) in Chicagoland can watch the games.

Hope Comcast holds out and doesn't raise everybody's no prices...
Everyone who switched to Hulu for Marquee is posting that they were notified that the channel won’t be launching on Hulu today and they hope to have it up by opening day
Old 02-23-2020, 05:29 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I have Directv. Yesterday, I noticed Marquee is in the channel lineup at 664 (right before Comcast Sports). For ****s and giggles, I clicked on it. It required me to subscribe.

I was not interested.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:11 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I have Directv. Yesterday, I noticed Marquee is in the channel lineup at 664 (right before Comcast Sports). For ****s and giggles, I clicked on it. It required me to subscribe.

I was not interested.

Thats good, I hope they do the same with comcast and give people a choice.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Thats good, I hope they do the same with comcast and give people a choice.
Yeah, I hope so as well. I'd rather not pay for the Cubs channel. It will be great to see them off NBC Sports Chicago / Comcast, though.

Too bad they aren't taking their biggest fan, Kaplan, with them.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
Yeah, I hope so as well. I'd rather not pay for the Cubs channel. It will be great to see them off NBC Sports Chicago / Comcast, though.

Too bad they aren't taking their biggest fan, Kaplan, with them.
Comcast will have Cubs coverage aplenty. That explains Kaplan. Just no games.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Doesn't look like things have gotten off to a smooth start.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/02/...etwork-launch/
Old 02-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Jon Greenberg had a write-up in The Athletic about the network's launch, he wasn't as harsh as Feder, but he had an interesting point in the comments section: There are some people in the Cubs organization who think that it is too late in the game to launch their own network as the RSN model is not as successful as it once was.

https://theathletic.com/1630060/2020...ch-or-can-you/
Old 02-24-2020, 03:08 PM
WSI Prelate

This issue doesn't affect me now, and I don't see it affecting me in the future. Still, it's like a terrible accident that I have to slow down and watch if only because of all the posts I've read in these forums about the White Sox White Sox pay channel of the early 1980s, alleging damage the idiocy of the concept did to the franchise.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
This issue doesn't affect me now, and I don't see it affecting me in the future. Still, it's like a terrible accident that I have to slow down and watch if only because of all the posts I've read in these forums about the White Sox White Sox pay channel of the early 1980s, alleging damage the idiocy of the concept did to the franchise.
I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison for a variety of reasons, but there are some similarities between the Sox launching their own station and how that turned out and what the Cubs are doing now.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison for a variety of reasons, but there are some similarities between the Sox launching their own station and how that turned out and what the Cubs are doing now.

The Sox were too early to the game — the Cubs are too late.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
The Sox were too early to the game — the Cubs are too late.
Spot-on.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Agreed. The broadcasting landscape is totally different now than when SportsVision launched in 1982. To be honest, I'll be quite surprised if Sinclair and Comcast don't come to an agreement soon. If not by opening day, then soon after.

I do wonder though, if the Cubs over-estimated how much money they'd make with their own sports network. When they set out to do this a few years ago, they probably figured they'd practically be printing money like the Yankees by imposing a $5 or more per month fee on basically every household in the Chicago TV market since pretty much everyone had cable. Now, cable companies are hemorrhaging subscribers, so that revenue stream is shrinking by the month. I also suspect Comcast doesn't feel like they need to cave into the Cubs demands on price, either. They've been playing hardball with companies over carriage fees (Starz and TCM have both been bumped from popular cable packages in recent months). Sure, Ricketts probably got a bunch of Cubs fans to call Comcast to do his negotiating for him, but Comcast must also realize that they might anger other customers with yet another rate hike - this time to accommodate a Cubs-only channel.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

As noted by many, things are changing. Even multi-unit buildings or complexes with bulk cable rates -- the safest, most captive customers from the cable company's point of view -- have an increasing number of residents who are, or are becoming, cord cutters. These people would prefer not to have to pay for cable too, but they are stuck with it. They complain vociferously whenever the cost of cable goes up: even though bulk rates are still usually much cheaper than single-family home cable rates, they don't want cable at all.

Associations with smaller numbers of units may be the first to cut the cord, and I can see even larger buildings jumping ship as the property management companies are finally forced to do the leg work on alternatives to just paying the cable company what it wants.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Sinclair/Cubs have reached a deal with Wide Open West (WOW) to carry Marquee on their system starting March 13. WOW provides cable service in several suburbs including Naperville and Arlington Heights.
https://670thescore.radio.com/cubs-m...riage-deal-wow