GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2020, 03:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
To support Voodoo's point, the fact that the team had a grand total of 0 innings caught last year by anyone whose primary position was not catcher makes me think that "emergency third catcher" isn't a necessary roster spot.
I was just answering the question.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Does anyone have a Spring Training broadcast schedule? I mistakenly assumed all of our ST games would be on CNSC.

Here's the broadcast schedule, including games available to stream on whitesox.com and games that are on WGN radio. The next NBC Sports Chicago telecast isn't for another 2 1/2 weeks (March 13).
https://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/wh...e-6154ed44401a

Sullivan in the Trib remarks at the low number of televised spring training games:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...55u-story.html
Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

You can stream a lot of them for free, most are on TV or streamed
Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I do like the idea of a 3rd catcher so we're protected on days Grandal is DHing, Mercedes could be a nice late inning bat off the bench to pinch hit for Mazera or our 2nd baseman vs. LHP.
Agree.
He can hit; there should be a spot.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Here's the broadcast schedule, including games available to stream on whitesox.com and games that are on WGN radio. The next NBC Sports Chicago telecast isn't for another 2 1/2 weeks (March 13).

Sullivan in the Trib remarks at the low number of televised spring training games:
A lot of the bloggers started throwing a fit on Twitter this weekend about the lack of TV coverage.

I would have to think there's something more than "Let's not show these Sox games even though we could." Now, perhaps people will make enough noise that NBCSN will investigate how to put more games on TV next year. But I just have to think there's more to the story than just "we don't want to do it," which I think all the bloggers getting mad aren't thinking much about.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I was just answering the question.
My comment wasn’t directed at you, I was just responding to the last message in the thread. Sorry, should have clarified.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:10 AM
WSI Prelate

I’ve watched Heuer’s inning from Monday three times and I see why he breezed through to and found success in AA. His stuff is good and he uses his length well. Was excited for Hamilton, and even though that was rough, it was nice to see him on the mound.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Does anyone have a Spring Training broadcast schedule? I mistakenly assumed all of our ST games would be on CNSC.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 02-26-2020, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post

Perfect. Thanks!

I figured since CSNC broadcasted some of the ST games in past seasons so they have the equipment and personnel in place, and now they don't need to coordinate with Cubs games, and they aren't typically showing anything interesting at 2pm most days, that they would just show all of the ST games (or at least all of the home games) this season. Hopefully Sullivan's piece helps motivate them in the future.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Going to four games in the next week, and at least five more the rest of ST. So psyched.

Looking forward to Sunday’s split squad game, especially. Love seeing all those prospects.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
A lot of the bloggers started throwing a fit on Twitter this weekend about the lack of TV coverage.

I would have to think there's something more than "Let's not show these Sox games even though we could." Now, perhaps people will make enough noise that NBCSN will investigate how to put more games on TV next year. But I just have to think there's more to the story than just "we don't want to do it," which I think all the bloggers getting mad aren't thinking much about.
Well, broadcast costs SOME amount of money, ans presumably they don't think the money earned would cover the money spent. It is a business, after all.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Well, broadcast costs SOME amount of money, ans presumably they don't think the money earned would cover the money spent. It is a business, after all.
Honestly, local commercials cover broadcast cost fairly easily. Covering an entire crew’s month long trip expenditures makes it expensive, and there’s not enough prepared, trained and capable units to make it feasible as a skeleton crew gig. Still, it wouldn’t be astronomical to have feeds out of every game. Hell, they could just stream it with a two man camera crew and small production team.

Honestly, I think it’s a ploy to get people down to spring training. I don’t think the MLB cares to monetize ST outside of tourism.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Honestly, local commercials cover broadcast cost fairly easily. Covering an entire crew’s month long trip expenditures makes it expensive, and there’s not enough prepared, trained and capable units to make it feasible as a skeleton crew gig. Still, it wouldn’t be astronomical to have feeds out of every game. Hell, they could just stream it with a two man camera crew and small production team.
They could at least simulcast the "web-only" games. Those are already being produced so NBCSN really wouldn't have to do anything aside from insert some commercials.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
They could at least simulcast the "web-only" games. Those are already being produced so NBCSN really wouldn't have to do anything aside from insert some commercials.

Yeah and it's not just the number of games, but they're spread out rather thinly. There was the telecast on Feb. 24 and then not again on NBCSC until March 13 and then the final two ST games vs. the D-Backs(plus 2 "exhibition" games vs. AZ at Chase Field). I'm not expecting every ST game like the Cubs as they promote their new channel, but I don't get why so many games are relegated to web-only.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Future Sox takes a look at positive starts to Cactus League play for Rutherford, Madrigal, Vaughn, and Yermin Mercedes:
http://futuresox.com/2020/02/27/whit...s-in-glendale/

The Trib takes a look at Zack Burdi's return to action after injuries have derailed him for 2.5 seasons:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...7n4-story.html