GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I would say I lean towards the optimistic side of the spectrum regarding this rebuild. Not voodoo optimistic but in the 67-75 percentile range as compared to the average Sox fan.

But if the Sox uncork two 9-figure deals (Iím talking $100 million, not $200 million) within the next two off-season, Iíll be floored. One, okay. Two is not happening.
Note that I didn't say it will happen, just that there is room for them in the payroll. But you're right, I was being a bit careless with my words when I suggested the Sox had room for multiple $200 million players. I should have said there's room for multiple big annual salaries ($25 million+) in the payroll. It's doubtful they will be signing more than one 6-10 year contract which is what it takes to get to the $200 million figure.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I hope Hahn just says no to those $50-90 million guys. If that is the upper limit on spending, then weíre firmly entrenched in that Royals/Aís/Marlins/Pirates group, and we should just swing trades to get the guys we need.
It's not the upper limit on spending, my point is there are literally only 3 players that will be getting over $100mil in the next 2 offseasons: Cole, Rendon, and Betts. With so few options, it leaves variables that are out of the Sox control to land one of those guys.

Guys like Grandal, Bumgarner, Castellanos, Odorizzi would be very useful in filling in the remaining holes.

Trades will always be a possibility and a likelihood, just will be hard to predict.

I also don't see as much of a need as others at this point for mega star to be brought in based on how well 2019 went for Anderson, Moncada, Giolito and Robert; with Eloy, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, and Madrigal all with showing big potential in the last 12 months.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
It's not the upper limit on spending, my point is there are literally only 3 players that will be getting over $100mil in the next 2 offseasons: Cole, Rendon, and Betts. With so few options, it leaves variables that are out of the Sox control to land one of those guys.

Guys like Grandal, Bumgarner, Castellanos, Odorizzi would be very useful in filling in the remaining holes.

Trades will always be a possibility and a likelihood, just will be hard to predict.

I also don't see as much of a need as others at this point for mega star to be brought in based on how well 2019 went for Anderson, Moncada, Giolito and Robert; with Eloy, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, and Madrigal all with showing big potential in the last 12 months.
We have our Castellanos. His name is Jimenez. I really hope our GM has learned not to spend on DHs.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With Bummer around, Rodon probably would not even have to work that often.

Assuming another legitimate bullpen arm is not added, this would be my ideal bullpen going into next year.

RH bridges:
Fulmer
Ruiz
Cordero
Herrera

LH bridges:
Fry
Rodon
Bummer

Closer:
Colomť

I would much rather see another proven arm brought in to replace one of the Fry/Fulmer/Ruiz/Cordero projects, but I donít know who is looking to make a Colomť-type trade for anything we have. Maybe a swap of an overpaid reliever for Yolmer?
Eccch. Fulmer and Ruiz should be on the outside looking in. Rodon and Herrera canít be counted on. Sox have been fairly good about FA reliever acquisitions, so I hope they make two.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
We have our Castellanos. His name is Jimenez. I really hope our GM has learned not to spend on DHs.
I agree but for different reasons. I think we have enough bats to cover DH going forward. With in theory Leury and Sanchez/Mendick on the bench next year they could use a rotating DH with Collins/Mercedes/Abreu as the primary guys and others filling in when they are getting a day off from the field and yes that can include Eloy but I think the team expects to leave him in LF going forward and personally I think that's a fine decision.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-11-2019, 10:25 AM

I think the Sox are in denial about Eloyís ability to play left and Andersonís ability to play short, never mind Collinsí ability to catch. Defense will be this teamís Achilles heel until the Sox move those players to less demanding assignments.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
People around here might think that Eloy is DHing next year, but those in charge of the Sox do not.

Castellanos just started playing RF last year only, and has gotten better since. His bat is good enough to warrant playing OF on an everyday basis and can outproduce any defensive shortcomings.

I'm not even close to handing significant ABs next year to Collins at DH or C, he does not look the part of a run producing MLB hitter at this point.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think the Sox are in denial about Eloyís ability to play left and Andersonís ability to play short, never mind Collinsí ability to catch. Defense will be this teamís Achilles heel until the Sox move those players to less demanding assignments.
Or until they improve defensively, which is quite possible.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I agree but for different reasons. I think we have enough bats to cover DH going forward. With in theory Leury and Sanchez/Mendick on the bench next year they could use a rotating DH with Collins/Mercedes/Abreu as the primary guys and others filling in when they are getting a day off from the field and yes that can include Eloy but I think the team expects to leave him in LF going forward and personally I think that's a fine decision.
Collins has proven nothing at the MLB level, and Mercedes has zero ABs at the level and is 26. Not a combo you put together for a position that's only output is supposed to be offense.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

A Jimenez-*-Castellanos outfield would be the worst in the league defensively, even with Robert (or Engel) between them. Sox need to give their young pitchers a fighting chance.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Or until they improve defensively, which is quite possible.
Sure. And itís more likely they donít.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
A Jimenez-*-Castellanos outfield would be the worst in the league defensively, even with Robert (or Engel) between them. Sox need to give their young pitchers a fighting chance.
Eloy is better than he was in April, and seems to be improving. And again, Castellanos only started playing OF full time in 2018, and got way better this year.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Eloy is better than he was in April, and seems to be improving. And again, Castellanos only started playing OF full time in 2018, and got way better this year.
Maybe the Sox arenít the only ones in denial. Both are liabilities. Why would you design that in to the blueprint for your contending team?

A team might be able to survive one butcher in the outfield, but two? Did you not watch Delmonico and Palka?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Maybe the Sox arenít the only ones in denial. Both are liabilities. Why would you design that in to the blueprint for your contending team?

A team might be able to survive one butcher in the outfield, but two? Did you not watch Delmonico and Palka?
Yes I did, and those are different people than we are talking about. They were far slower and less athletic individuals, not to mention limited offensive upside.

I don't value corner OF defense nearly as high as others, and think a lot of the new defensive analytics are subjective and not the best indicator of future defensive abilities.

I prefer major offensive output from my corner OFers, than a Jason Heyward type guy.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Both are liabilities NOW. The question is whether they will improve enough that they won't be liabilities in the future.

To answer your question, no one would, which is why all teams work to improve their defense.