Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Our future is so bright, we have to wear shades

TA7=on track for Batting Title (homegrown talent)
Abreu+ on track for RBI Title (not quite homegrown talent, arrived already developed).

Yeah, Hahn is clueless...ÖÖÖ.(insert eyeroll, the tag won't work).

Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Then thereís this Gioloto fella.....
Old 09-08-2019, 08:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Both Anderson and Abreu came to the Sox before the Sale trade. Consensus around here a month ago was that Hahn should have traded him for the sake of trading him, regardless of the return.

I have always liked Abreu, since I saw him in the cage in the mini-camp in Glendale before his first spring training with the Sox. I was happy they didn't trade him and hope the Sox re-sign him this offseason as he hits the free agent market.

I've always believed Anderson would hit. He is not unlike Starlin Castro who was the Cubs' best young player before their rebuild in that he looked like he was going to be so good at the plate but had defensive issues at short. Castro was untouchable during the Cubs rebuild until he played himself out of the distinction after the Cubs started winning. Anderson wasn't as highly regarded an offensive prospect, but he is developing into a better offensive player. He seems to have the tools to develop into a reliable defensive shortstop, and the future difference between him being a star on a contender and a tough out on a non-contending team sort of depends on whether he does.

Considering that Abreu has to sign with the Sox after the World Series and Anderson has to improve his defense, they really don't at this point support the title of this thread.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
TA7=on track for Batting Title (homegrown talent)
Abreu+ on track for RBI Title (not quite homegrown talent, arrived already developed).

Yeah, Hahn is clueless...……….(insert eyeroll, the tag won't work).
Abreu is the future?
You forgot another 90+ loss season in season 3 of the rebuild, the 7th losing season in a row. Brilliant, I call it.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Iím worried about the Tommy John rehab on our Pitchers Rodon, Koepech And Dunning. Itís truly worrisome how effective they will be, and how long before theyíre truly 100%. I look at Stephen Strasburg and Matt Harvey for some kind of a gauge or point of reference on what we can expect.

Iíd almost like to play it overly cautious with them and put all 3 in AAA next year and just let them pitch innings either in relief or starters with strict pitch counts and see how they do.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Abreu is the future?
You forgot another 90+ loss season in season 3 of the rebuild, the 7th losing season in a row. Brilliant, I call it.
Too bad the tags don't work.

The troll tag was invented for this post.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Iím worried about the Tommy John rehab on our Pitchers Rodon, Koepech And Dunning. Itís truly worrisome how effective they will be, and how long before theyíre truly 100%. I look at Stephen Strasburg and Matt Harvey for some kind of a gauge or point of reference on what we can expect.

Iíd almost like to play it overly cautious with them and put all 3 in AAA next year and just let them pitch innings either in relief or starters with strict pitch counts and see how they do.
Have not heard much about the progress of Dunning and it is too early for Rodon, but in interviews with Kopech and statements from the team, it sounds like physically speaking, Kopech is very close to 100% if not there already. Right now, according to Kopech and the team, it is the mental recovery where he needs to feel that he won't get hurt the first time he take the mound.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

What tag would you use for a poster calling Abreu part of a bright future?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
What tag would you use for a poster calling Abreu part of a bright future?
The evidence tag? Abreu has had a nice season. He has ben a great ROI.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post

Rodon absolutely should be in the bullpen for the rest of his Sox tenure. He should never be counted on to fill a rotation spot ever again. Dunning absolutely should start the season in AAA. I agree with you on both of them.

Kopech, however, had a sizable head-start in his recovery time. By all accounts, he should be restriction-free by February. I would at least give him a chance to win a spot in Spring Training. He can always go to Charlotte for fine-tuning if he doesnít look quite right by Opening Day.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

They work if you manually type in their name.

colondtrollcolon=
where "colon" = ":"
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
They work if you manually type in their name.

colondtrollcolon=
where "colon" = ":"
Thanks.

Doesn't seem to always work. I had to remove your tag and could not add another one even though I typed it.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 AM
WSI High Priest

I think the good news on the rebuild is the the blue chip prospects are hitting so far- I feel good about Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Robert and Madrigal along with Giolito, Lopez, Cease and Bummer. We've obviously been hit hard by injuries to important pieces of the rebuild- Kopech, Dunning, Rodon, Burdi, Adolfo and Burger especially.

I think Hahn did a good job with return on the big 3 trade pieces- Sale, Eaton and Quintana- BUT, the jury is 100% out on this team's ability to draft and then develop via the draft- especially position players- excluding the prospects received in trades or major international signings- it looks like this for position players:

Current 40 man roster-

Collins, Zavala, Sanchez, Anderson, Mendick, Adolfo, Basabe, Engel,

Other prospects in the Top 30-

Vaughn, Walker, Madrigal, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Sheets, Burger, Beard, Yolbert Sanchez, Mieses, Sosa
Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

There has certainly been progress but what frightens me is that the core of players the Sox can build around now is very reminiscent of the core they had in 2014 that they couldn't build around.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
There has certainly been progress but what frightens me is that the core of players the Sox can build around now is very reminiscent of the core they had in 2014 that they couldn't build around.
They had a core of young cost and time controlled players with the upside of Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Robert, Madrigal, Cease, Lopez, Giolito and Kopech in 2014?

Who were those players? I can't think of anyone outside of Sale, Quintana and Abreu.

They also had a salary cap of $88M by the end of the season which by the end of 2015 had climbed to ~$100M. They are entering arbitration talks this year with $25M on the books.