Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 PM
WSI Personality

Default Check in hats

Please point me to the correct thread if there is one, but for the life of me I can't figure out checking in on my MLB Ballpark app. Last year, I checked in, showed up at Revolution, and got a black hat. This year, on Opening Day, did the same but they told me I did not "win" the hat. Buddy of mine did and gave me his (south side hitmen logo). At the game yesterday, checked in (which always seems cryptic or not as easy if you buy tickets on StubHub vs. ticketmaster) and all I saw in My Offers was a discount on ticket upgrades. I saw tons of people with the Flying Sock hat that was Coca Cola and read later and see on ebay it's a check-in hat.

What's the trick to checking in and getting the swag? Those look pretty sweet and I wish I got one. I heard there was a guy with several who was trading for a water bottle (which I got) but I never found him.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoHoosier View Post
What's the trick to checking in and getting the swag? Those look pretty sweet and I wish I got one. I heard there was a guy with several who was trading for a water bottle (which I got) but I never found him.

There is no trick, other than going to a poorly attended game (maybe). There is a randomness algorithm in the check-in process that decides if your check-in wins. My wife and I have both gotten hats, sometimes one of us, sometimes we both get shut out. It seems like the fewer people at the game, the better the odds.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L

Next Game Sep 28
Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm fairly sure last year, they were just given to everybody who checked in. This year it's apparently more of a thing you have to win, but it's not exactly clear to me if it's random or a first-come-first-serve thing (when I was at a game earlier, my entire group got them, but then at a later game we all checked in and nobody got that offer at all).
Old 08-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I believe its 600 per game they are giving away. I've been lucky to get 2 of the free hats this season from checking in.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I believe its 600 per game they are giving away. I've been lucky to get 2 of the free hats this season from checking in.
This. There is only a certain amount given away at each game. Better chance when it's not a highly attended game and you can get in the park a little early.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
This. There is only a certain amount given away at each game. Better chance when it's not a highly attended game and you can get in the park a little early.
Correct.
I've been able to score a hat just once so far.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

This season there's been a different hat each month. I've got each except the July hat, though I've only been to a couple games each month. The flying sock hat is the August hat. There will be a new one in September.

When you see this month's hat on people at the ballpark, keep in mind they may have won it earlier in the month. So near month-end you're seeing the cumulative giveaways.

It's only related to checking in on the app. Does not matter who bought the ticket or how, and you do not need a ticket account. Use the MLB Ballpark app only -- it's supposed to link to your White Sox ticket account but my rep told me that it doesn't work properly. My seatmate has no ticket account at all (just reimburses me) and has gotten multiple hats, the Baines poster, etc.

Some random tips for whatever they might be worth: I've seen the people behind the counter give hats to people who did not get the offer but who accompany their friends who did, especially if it's near month-end and they are getting rid of them. I've also heard that people from out of town have wheedled a hat by pointing out how far they traveled, that everybody else in their group got one, etc.

One other thing: after checking in on the app when you get into the park, check your email now and then during the game (you provide your email address when you set up the app, of course). I've heard from a friend that they once got an email saying that they had an offer -- it was the hat in fact -- though for some reason that had not shown up in the "wallet" in the app. Who knows how that happens.

Last edited by SoxandtheCityTee; 08-27-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:42 PM
WSI Personality

Yep, I figured out the email trick after it was too late at the Father's Day game. I checked in, nothing seemed to happen, and after the game I saw I had an email saying I get a free #SOXDADS plastic cup. Wish I had seen it. I did check my email last Sunday at the game after I checked in and didn't get the hat. Not many people there either. Oh well. Not gonna pay $20 on ebay to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
This season there's been a different hat each month. I've got each except the July hat, though I've only been to a couple games each month. The flying sock hat is the August hat. There will be a new one in September.

When you see this month's hat on people at the ballpark, keep in mind they may have won it earlier in the month. So near month-end you're seeing the cumulative giveaways.

It's only related to checking in on the app. Does not matter who bought the ticket or how, and you do not need a ticket account. Use the MLB Ballpark app only -- it's supposed to link to your White Sox ticket account but my rep told me that it doesn't work properly. My seatmate has no ticket account at all (just reimburses me) and has gotten multiple hats, the Baines poster, etc.

Some random tips for whatever they might be worth: I've seen the people behind the counter give hats to people who did not get the offer but who accompany their friends who did, especially if it's near month-end and they are getting rid of them. I've also heard that people from out of town have wheedled a hat by pointing out how far they traveled, that everybody else in their group got one, etc.

One other thing: after checking in on the app when you get into the park, check your email now and then during the game (you provide your email address when you set up the app, of course). I've heard from a friend that they once got an email saying that they had an offer -- it was the hat in fact -- though for some reason that had not shown up in the "wallet" in the app. Who knows how that happens.