GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
I remember when John Wooden basically muzzled his players. Try to imagine Walton giving little more than one-word answers during interviews when he was at UCLA. It didnít make him appear very intelligent. Same went for Alcindor.
When I got home last night, I opened one of my old basketball books, and one page has an entry about Walton. It mentions how he stuttered as a player. It goes on to say, "Reporters joke that when he was playing you couldn't get a word out of Walton and now, on the air, he won't shut up."
Old 08-17-2019, 11:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Lighten up. Or do the baseball fun police extend to the broadcast booth, too?
I just think it's a shame we had another electric performance from Giolito that featured him striking out 11 and working out of some tight jams, and this took the focus off him and off a well-played game by the team.
You can say "it got the Sox some positive national media attention", but that attention is pretty hollow if you ask me. Nothing but a sideshow, and makes it look like they would rather people not care about the players or the game. I guarantee zero of those national media articles will mention Lucas Giolito. That isn't the way to build lasting fan interest. It would be like if they started screening movies on the Jumbotron *during* home games and then touted it as 'good national exposure' when the national media wrote about it.

...Also, you can call us the fun police, but I didn't find anything fun about it, and not just because I'm a diehard fan. If I were a casual fan I would have been bored unless I had some prior affinity for Bill Walton, and how many people watching a broadcast in Chicago would have that, given that he has zero Chicago connection?
Old 08-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
I just think it's a shame we had another electric performance from Giolito that featured him striking out 11 and working out of some tight jams, and this took the focus off him and off a well-played game by the team.
You can say "it got the Sox some positive national media attention", but that attention is pretty hollow if you ask me. Nothing but a sideshow, and makes it look like they would rather people not care about the players or the game. I guarantee zero of those national media articles will mention Lucas Giolito. That isn't the way to build lasting fan interest. It would be like if they started screening movies on the Jumbotron *during* home games and then touted it as 'good national exposure' when the national media wrote about it.

...Also, you can call us the fun police, but I didn't find anything fun about it, and not just because I'm a diehard fan. If I were a casual fan I would have been bored unless I had some prior affinity for Bill Walton, and how many people watching a broadcast in Chicago would have that, given that he has zero Chicago connection?
It's ONE GAME...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

LOVED Walton!!!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:00 PM
New At WSI

Once a year is about right. You have to have the correct mindset to watch him - if you're expecting anything resembling a normal broadcast, you'll hate it.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Can I just say that tonight's broadcast may be the most entertaining in team history?
No, the most entertaining time in Sox history was when Harry and Jimmy were doing White Sox games.

I didn't watch the game and have no idea why Walton was picked for it and it's nothing I'm going lose sleep over. I have to admit I never cared for the guy going back to his UCLA days, I always thought that if you looked up Dumb Jock in Websters, you might find a photo of Walton there.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-17-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's ONE GAME...
Seriously, it was one game with two teams that arenít going anywhere. I thought it was a good way to liven up the dog days of August a bit. Now would it work every year? No, probably not.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:30 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm with the people that couldn't stand it. I tend to skip through a lot of the standing around parts of the game now and had the sound off. Even with that I couldn't focus on the game because of the god damn split screen for about 60% of the game. I didn't have to hear him to be annoyed.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
I'm with the people that couldn't stand it. I tend to skip through a lot of the standing around parts of the game now and had the sound off. Even with that I couldn't focus on the game because of the god damn split screen for about 60% of the game. I didn't have to hear him to be annoyed.
I do agree the split screen was annoying. Maybe they were trying to remind people why the announcing was so atypical. Not like there was a ton of visual humor going on.

It was worse for me following on an iPad.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:26 PM
WSI Personality

Personally, I want Jim Ross to do a baseball game. He's a fantastic announcer and I'd want him to go full WWF for just one inning.

"Wait a minute....that's Yoan Moncada's music!"
Old 08-17-2019, 03:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
No, the most entertaining time in Sox history was when Harry and Jimmy were doing White Sox games.

I didn't watch the game and have no idea why Walton was picked for it and it's nothing I'm going lose sleep over. I have to admit I never cared for the guy going back to his UCLA days, I always thought that if you looked up Dumb Jock in Websters, you might find a picture of Walton there.
Harry and Piersall turned into bitter, hypercritical drunks at the end. Sorry, but IMO, there was nothing entertaining or lovable about either of them.

And you may not care for Walton or his style (such as it is), but there's no way you could have watched last night's broadcast and come to a rational conclusion that he's a "dumb jock,"

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 08-17-2019, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Harry and Piersall turned into bitter, hypercritical drunks at the end. Sorry, but IMO, there was nothing entertaining or lovable about either of them.

And you may not care for Walton or his style (such as it is), but there's no way you could have watched last night's broadcast and come to a rational conclusion that he's a "dumb jock,"
I knew Jimmy and played tennis and golf with him, he did not drink but as most know had other issues.
As far as Harry, I thought he was more critical in his first few years with the Sox, he had some run ins with Melton, Bart Johnson and a few others. I'm pretty sure that when Veeck bought the club in late 75 he had a talk with Harry and told him not to knock the players.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-17-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Both my wife and I avoided the game. Neither of us cared for the last appearance of the guy a couple of weeks ago. Found him annoying.

Sorry to miss another GS from McCann, but those are the breaks. Just not a fan of Bill Walton.

Hopefully, nobody at Sox HQ will go "Hey, what a great idea! We should do that every couple of weeks!!"
Old 08-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
Both my wife and I avoided the game. Neither of us cared for the last appearance of the guy a couple of weeks ago. Found him annoying.

Sorry to miss another GS from McCann, but those are the breaks. Just not a fan of Bill Walton.

Hopefully, nobody at Sox HQ will go "Hey, what a great idea! We should do that every couple of weeks!!"
I don't think there's any danger of that. Of course you could always watch the game with the sound off if he bothers you that much.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

I didn't watch the game and have no idea why Walton was picked for it and it's nothing I'm going lose sleep over.
I thought I read it was Benettiís idea. They worked together last year at the Maui Invitational.