White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:10 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,333
Default The Sox have been historically awful this decade

I have some (okay, a LOT) downtime at work and was thinking just how bad the White Sox have been this decade and decided to take a look at how the White Sox performance in the 2010’s stacks up against their performance in other decades.

The season isn’t over yet, but right now the Sox are on pace for 73 wins (at least according to my math). If the Sox finished 73-89, they would finish the decade with a record of 744-876, good enough for a .459 winning percentage.

The only time the Sox posted a lower winning percentage over the course of a decade was all the way back in the 1930s.

The Sox finished the ‘30s with a record of 678-841-11, a .446 winning percentage.

As abysmal as the Sox were from 1930-1939, they at least managed to stumble their way into three winning seasons in 1936, ‘37 and ‘39.

The Sox have only had two winning seasons this decade.

Since the start of divisional play in 1969, the 2010s are the first decade since the 1970s that the Sox will have failed to make the post-season, though it is worth noting that if the current playoff format had been around 40+ years ago, the ‘72 White Sox would have won the AL Central.

By record, the best team of the past decade was Mark Kotsay’s 2010 White Sox, who won 88 games and finished 6 back of the Twins. (While that season’s most memorable moment was arguably Thome’s walk-off homer for the Twins, this is the game that will forever scar my memory).

The last time the Sox went an entire decade without winning 90 games was back in the 1940s and back then teams might not have even played 150 games.

So, long story short: It's been a pretty rough decade.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:19 PM
jamokes jamokes is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mokena,IL
Posts: 694
Default

This current front office has no worries about losing their jobs. That is the biggest problem.

Hey Rick Hahn, thanks for trading Tatis Jr for Shields.......SMH.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:24 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
Hey Rick Hahn, thanks for trading Tatis Jr for Shields.......SMH.
This, again!
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
This current front office has no worries about losing their jobs. That is the biggest problem.

Hey Rick Hahn, thanks for trading Tatis Jr for Shields.......SMH.
That is Reinsdorf’s fault. If he just pays full freight on Shields’s salary, Tatis is nowhere near that deal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:36 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,523
Default

Or if Reinsdorf hadn't let Hahn talk him into acquiring Shields back in the days when consensus on WSI was that there was nothing in the minor league system.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,810
Default

Yeah, Hahn also has to wear that gross miscalculation of Shields’s ability level. Unfortunately, though, this fish rots from the head. The allure of getting a $20 million pitcher for half the cost sealed that deal for both the miserly owner and the handcuffed GM who works for him.

Since Reinsdorf isn’t going anywhere, it’s time to let go of the Shields trade, the Machado failure, and all the rest. We really have only two choices: just root for what we have, warts and all, or abandon ship.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:49 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I have some (okay, a LOT) downtime at work and was thinking just how bad the White Sox have been this decade and decided to take a look at how the White Sox performance in the 2010’s stacks up against their performance in other decades.

The season isn’t over yet, but right now the Sox are on pace for 73 wins (at least according to my math). If the Sox finished 73-89, they would finish the decade with a record of 744-876, good enough for a .459 winning percentage.

The only time the Sox posted a lower winning percentage over the course of a decade was all the way back in the 1930s.

The Sox finished the ‘30s with a record of 678-841-11, a .446 winning percentage.

As abysmal as the Sox were from 1930-1939, they at least managed to stumble their way into three winning seasons in 1936, ‘37 and ‘39.

The Sox have only had two winning seasons this decade.

Since the start of divisional play in 1969, the 2010s are the first decade since the 1970s that the Sox will have failed to make the post-season, though it is worth noting that if the current playoff format had been around 40+ years ago, the ‘72 White Sox would have won the AL Central.

By record, the best team of the past decade was Mark Kotsay’s 2010 White Sox, who won 88 games and finished 6 back of the Twins. (While that season’s most memorable moment was arguably Thome’s walk-off homer for the Twins, this is the game that will forever scar my memory).

The last time the Sox went an entire decade without winning 90 games was back in the 1940s and back then teams might not have even played 150 games.

So, long story short: It's been a pretty rough decade.
It's been very depressing especially when I look back to my youth and grew up watching 16 straight years of winning baseball in the GO-GO era with a trip to the 1959 WS. I'm not getting any younger and for selfish reasons I'm praying this rebuild is a success and I see the Sox bring us another World Championship. At one point the franchise was about 300 games over .500 in their time as a charter member of the American League starting in 1900. It has now dwindled down to 53 games over. We've had enough of losing baseball and deserve better.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-12-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:58 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
It's been very depressing especially when I look back to my youth and grew up watching 16 straight years of winning baseball in the GO-GO era. I'm not getting any younger and for selfish reasons I'm praying this rebuild is a success and I see the Sox bring us another World Championship. At one point the franchise was about 300 games over .500
for their time as a member of the American League starting in1900, it has now dwindled down to 53 games over. We've had our share of losing.
It is amazing how historically inept this franchise has been, especially in the '30s. Even when they were over .500, they still never finished closer than 19 games out of first. I don't know how much the Depression hurt the Comiskeys, but unlike Connie Mack's A's, the Sox didn't have stars that they could sell to other teams for lots of money to re-invest in the farm system or whatever existed back then.

Had the Black Sox not happened, I wonder how the Sox would have fared in the '20s?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,523
Default

Machado would have been a bigger, decade-long albatross-like fiasco if the White Sox had signed him than as a rallying point for the anti-ownership wing with inflated dreams of what might have been. Shields is history.

That this has been such a bad decade is a combination of management not knowing how to build a winning team, giving up for a scorched-earth rebuild that still leaves the White Sox behind where they were when they didn't have the baseball acumen to fill out a starting rotation without trading for Shields and signing designated hitters whose greatest skill was striking out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,740
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
If the Sox finished 73-89, they would finish the decade with a record of 744-876, good enough for a .459 winning percentage.
Assuming that you are starting the decade in 2010 (it officially started in 2011), you are awfully generous to current management, considering that the Sox were 252-234 the first 3 years of the decade.
Things changed in 2013 when.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:08 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,084
Default

Well the second half of this is on purpose, remember.

I used to feel so bad for Chris Sale, arguably the franchise's best player of all time, that he played here during literally the worst time in human history to be the star of the Chicago White Sox. I'm glad he got his championship.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Well the second half of this is on purpose, remember.

I used to feel so bad for Chris Sale, arguably the franchise's best player of all time, that he played here during literally the worst time in human history to be the star of the Chicago White Sox. I'm glad he got his championship.
As great as Chris Sale is, I don't think he's in the discussion about the best player in franchise history. However you know who is in the discussion? Luke Appling. In his 20-year career he played on five winning teams and only once played on a team that finished as high as third place and only once did he play on a team that was only 8 games back.

Ted Lyons also played on some real lousy teams.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,946
Default

Look forward; stop living in the past.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 7,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzegorz View Post
look forward; stop living in the past.
+1. Our future is bright.
__________________

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:29 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
It is amazing how historically inept this franchise has been, especially in the '30s. Even when they were over .500, they still never finished closer than 19 games out of first. I don't know how much the Depression hurt the Comiskeys, but unlike Connie Mack's A's, the Sox didn't have stars that they could sell to other teams for lots of money to re-invest in the farm system or whatever existed back then.

Had the Black Sox not happened, I wonder how the Sox would have fared in the '20s?
The Black Sox scandal hurt the franchise for 30 years, especially the in the 20s, when the club had to replace some damn good players like Jackson, Cicotte, Weaver, Felsch and William's, players like those don't grow on trees and are very hard to replace. Next was the 30s and depression and the Sox had to rely on their Soda Pop business which was run out of the commissary under the stands down the right field line. Meanwhile the Cubs made 3 trips to the WS in the 30s and were the darlings of Chicago. The war years were next and again to survive the Sox counted heavily on the Football Cardinals rental money along with the Soda Pop business. Fortunes finally turned for the Sox in 1951 and lasted until 1968 when just like that the Club fell on hard times for 4 straight years until the Richie Allen years.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-12-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.