White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quick summaries

Dash lost 1-0 had 3 hits.
Vaughn had 2 of them

Stiever had a nice outing 6.0 IP 4H 1 ER HR 2 BB 6 K

Kincannon had a scoreless inning

Kannapolis won 5-4 Osik and Sosa both had 3 H Osik had another HR and 2 R and 2 RBI Hus OPS is up to .895

Perez started but only made it through 4.1

New guy, Cableb Freeman pitched very well in relief. He's a 2019 draft pick, and had his first outing at A after going through AZL and GTF already. This year. Overall he has 37 K in 22+IP he had 4 tonight in his 2.1 scoreless though he walked a guy and hit another. His .150 BAA and .88 WHIP are obviously very good and he's only 21

Birmingham lost 5-3 in 11 after scoring 2 in the bottom of the 9th to tie.

Rugherford had 2 hits

Flores had his best outing so far since returning 6.0 IP 6 H 2 BB HR 2 ER 10 K
Sousa pitched a scoreless inning in his first appearance in AA
Heuer gave up 3 H and 2 R (1 earned) and struck out 1 pitching the 11th.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-30-2019, 07:49 AM
WSI Personality

Luis Gonzalez went 0-6 with 4 K's. He's done nothing this season to indicate he can play at AA or higher. Kind of disappointing; in 2018 he showed flashes of being a potential decent OF bench piece.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Luis Gonzalez went 0-6 with 4 K's. He's done nothing this season to indicate he can play at AA or higher. Kind of disappointing; in 2018 he showed flashes of being a potential decent OF bench piece.
He's actually looking better in the second half posting a .752 OPS compared to .612 the first half. He will definitely repeat AA I'm guessing but he's still only 23 so there's still time, but it's getting late.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
When did Sousa get promoted to AA? He and Arobio were both college relievers, trying to climb the ladder as relievers. Not many make it but the Sox seem to think there's value to be had by drafting those college relievers.
He's also one of the players slated to play in the fall league. According to his MiLB page, he was promoted on Monday. I'm not sure why they'd make such a move with less than a week to go in the minor league season. He had great numbers at W-S this year, but he's a bit old for that level even though he was drafted just last year. He's 24 and will be 25 at the start of next season.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Quick summaries

Dash lost 1-0 had 3 hits.
Vaughn had 2 of them

Stiever had a nice outing 6.0 IP 4H 1 ER HR 2 BB 6 K

Kincannon had a scoreless inning

Kannapolis won 5-4 Osik and Sosa both had 3 H Osik had another HR and 2 R and 2 RBI Hus OPS is up to .895

Perez started but only made it through 4.1

New guy, Cableb Freeman pitched very well in relief. He's a 2019 draft pick, and had his first outing at A after going through AZL and GTF already. This year. Overall he has 37 K in 22+IP he had 4 tonight in his 2.1 scoreless though he walked a guy and hit another. His .150 BAA and .88 WHIP are obviously very good and he's only 21

Birmingham lost 5-3 in 11 after scoring 2 in the bottom of the 9th to tie.

Rugherford had 2 hits

Flores had his best outing so far since returning 6.0 IP 6 H 2 BB HR 2 ER 10 K
Sousa pitched a scoreless inning in his first appearance in AA
Heuer gave up 3 H and 2 R (1 earned) and struck out 1 pitching the 11th.
Nice to see good outings by Flores and Stiever - perhaps 2 of the most promising starting pitching prospects in the Sox farm system aside from Dunning. Kade McClure also had a decent year this year after missing almost all of 2018 with a knee injury. I read that he was shut down for the rest of the season a couple of weeks ago after reaching an IP limit.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He's actually looking better in the second half posting a .752 OPS compared to .612 the first half. He will definitely repeat AA I'm guessing but he's still only 23 so there's still time, but it's getting late.
I wonder who, if any, among our top OF prospects will make it as a starter in the majors. We have at least 5 guys in the running, but they all have question marks. Basabe has had a disappointing year and his options clock is ticking. Gonzalez and Rutherford looked better in the 2nd half, but still don't look like future MLB starters yet and have a ways to go. At least Rutherford is a bit younger - almost 2 years younger than Gonzalez. Adolfo has a lot of talent, but has missed a ton of time due to injuries. Steele Walker looks intriguing, but is only at W-S and still has a lot to prove.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:00 PM
WSI Regular

The White Sox have only two position players in their minor league system that will have an impact in MLB. They're Robert and Madrigal.

They have a few players that may make MLB, but probably as role players. (Walker, Sheets) Collins has come on strong in the last few weeks, but remains a question mark. Vaughn has been disappointing, but it's only been 49 games. So, we'll have a better idea next year.

I don't see any starters pitching this year who would make a quality MLB starting rotation.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
The White Sox have only two position players in their minor league system that will have an impact in MLB. They're Robert and Madrigal.

They have a few players that may make MLB, but probably as role players. (Walker, Sheets) Collins has come on strong in the last few weeks, but remains a question mark. Vaughn has been disappointing, but it's only been 49 games. So, we'll have a better idea next year.

I don't see any starters pitching this year who would make a quality MLB starting rotation.
I'll say they have more than two.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Well you have to filter it through the posters lens. He's clearly convinced the Sox suck at everything so no chance they can have more players than the top few actually succeed.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
In your opinion,other than Robert and Madrigal, what position player(s) in the White Sox system will have impressive major league careers? And, for what reason(s) other than hope do you base that on?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In your opinion,other than Robert and Madrigal, what position player(s) in the White Sox system will have impressive major league careers? And, for what reason(s) other than hope do you base that on?
What constitutes an “impressive major league career”?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
What constitutes an “impressive major league career”?
I realize "impressive" might have vague connotations regarding MLB performance. Perhaps, I should offer an example of someone who had a solid, if unspectacular MLB career like Aaron Rowand.

The only two that I think MIGHT have Rowand-like comp careers are Walker and Sheets.

I wouldn't bet on Luis Gonzales, Rutherford, or Basabe ever playing in the majors.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

"White Sox general manager Rick Hahn has talked on a few occasions about Jake Burger being able to fall out of bed and still be able to hit the ball with authority"

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ja...turn-to-action
Old 08-30-2019, 04:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

So impressive would be what type of numbers under what conditions?
Old 08-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I realize "impressive" might have vague connotations regarding MLB performance. Perhaps, I should offer an example of someone who had a solid, if unspectacular MLB career like Aaron Rowand.

The only two that I think MIGHT have Rowand-like comp careers are Walker and Sheets.

I wouldn't bet on Luis Gonzales, Rutherford, or Basabe ever playing in the majors.
Collins, Vaughn, Walker Sheets. That's a start. There are also several pitchers who could well have solid MLB careers including Dunning, Flores, Stiever and several relievers who are developing nicely.