GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 11:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
If its me, service time be damned, I am calling Nick up after the all star game. Yolmer has been pure garbage and Rodon is not a major leaguer. I want Nick getting his feet wet now with the expectation this is a contending team next year.
I don't know about after the all star game, but if he stays hot and moves up to AAA and hits over .300 for 3 weeks, bring him up. I think service time for him means a lot less than your Eloys and Roberts, because he will be a much lower OPS guy and will have less earning power. I imagine him being a very easy extension candidate even if he plays very well in the bigs.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
If its me, service time be damned, I am calling Nick up after the all star game. Yolmer has been pure garbage and Rodon is not a major leaguer. I want Nick getting his feet wet now with the expectation this is a contending team next year.
I think the Sox would really want to hold off on that, as good as Madrigal has been it has still only been 15 games, so pitchers might still be building a book on him.

I think Robert is more interesting because you'd think that after 46 games and nearly 200 PAs, pitchers should have some sort of book on him.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If you're going to do that, call up Robert too. He's actually hitting for power as well as average.

However, I disagree. We have long talked about the Sox not rushing prospects. I see nothing wrong with letting them both continue to develop. If they stay hot, move them both to AAA later this summer and if the service times aren't an issue bring them up for a September call up. I am okay with the Sox doing the service time clock thing though and bringing them both up mid-April next year if they continue to look like they deserve the promotion at that time.
Exactly. What's the rush? The Sox aren't going anywhere this year, and it's not because of Yolmer Sanchez (who's been playing well lately) or Leury Garcia. Madrigal has been hot this month, but before that he wasn't doing much at A+. Players get hot and cold, it would be silly to promote him after a couple of good weeks.

Also, like it or not, service time is an issue. There's no point in burning a year of service time just because you want to push Yolmer out the door (or to a reserve role).
Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Exactly. What's the rush? The Sox aren't going anywhere this year, and it's not because of Yolmer Sanchez (who's been playing well lately) or Leury Garcia. Madrigal has been hot this month, but before that he wasn't doing much at A+. Players get hot and cold, it would be silly to promote him after a couple of good weeks.

Also, like it or not, service time is an issue. There's no point in burning a year of service time just because you want to push Yolmer out the door (or to a reserve role).
There is zero reason to rush him and start a service clock.

Folks, we're *not* playing for 2019. I know people are frustrated, and they want to see the kids, but this is another year of lumps. The organization should make decisions that best protect its ability to control their assets for longer periods of time.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 PM
WSI Regular

I predict Madrigal will be ready for call-up about the second week of April 2020. Just a hunch. And that sounds good to me.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

Folks, we're *not* playing for 2019. I know people are frustrated, and they want to see the kids, but this is another year of lumps. The organization should make decisions that best protect its ability to control their assets for longer periods of time.
Also, is there potentially a 40-man roster issue to consider? Bringing up Madrigal (or Robert) now means adding them to the 40-man and there often seems to be a crunch in the offseason when additional players need 40-man protection.

I mean, if Madrigal and Robert are really ready and would develop best by coming up to the majors this year, then do it. But, as great as they've looked, I doubt that's the case. No need to rush them up here in a vain attempt to go for it in 2019 because Yolmer Sanchez is mediocre.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
But how many home runs? This is meaningless without home runs.
Itís fine to slug only .400 if you have an OBP of .400 to go with it and play elite defense up the middle.

You can have a hitter like that in your lineup. The problem with the White Sox right now is that they have three of them. None of their sub-.400 slugging slap hitters get on base anywhere near a .400 clip, either.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Itís fine to slug only .400 if you have an OBP of .400 to go with it and play elite defense up the middle.

You can have a hitter like that in your lineup. The problem with the White Sox right now is that they have three of them. None of their sub-.400 slugging slap hitters get on base anywhere near a .400 clip, either.
Good thing weíre not planning to play the 2021+ seasons with the current lineup. Projecting ahead - and with the usual caveats that nothing is guaranteed - itís not unfathomable to project above average power at most other positions. A Collins/Zavala platoon will likely SLG well; Vaughn, Anderson, and Moncada should have power thatís average or above average for their positions; and Eloy and Robert should bring average to above average power to LF and CF as well. So if you get Madrigal hitting .330 and getting on base at a .380 clip, you can live with his lack of HR power given all the other skills he brings.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Good thing weíre not planning to play the 2021+ seasons with the current lineup. Projecting ahead - and with the usual caveats that nothing is guaranteed - itís not unfathomable to project above average power at most other positions. A Collins/Zavala platoon will likely SLG well; Vaughn, Anderson, and Moncada should have power thatís average or above average for their positions; and Eloy and Robert should bring average to above average power to LF and CF as well. So if you get Madrigal hitting .330 and getting on base at a .380 clip, you can live with his lack of HR power given all the other skills he brings.
I know that those exact guys will not be here in the future, but Iím seeing some very discouraging signs that guys with those exact profiles will be the ones replacing them. Todd Steversonís comments in particular have been very discouraging.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

This literally has nothing to do with 2019... My thought is, 2020 is a contention year, it has to be. Instead of having them come up and potentially have the half season of rookie struggles most guys have (see Eloy), they get that out of the way this year in no pressure situations.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
This literally has nothing to do with 2019... My thought is, 2020 is a contention year, it has to be. Instead of having them come up and potentially have the half season of rookie struggles most guys have (see Eloy), they get that out of the way this year in no pressure situations.
But you're also skipping AAA to this. I am not sure you'll have the desired effect by doing that.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

How are we going to see him behind all that netting!!!!

Sorry couldnt resist....
Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 PM
WSI Prelate

I just don't worry much about time in AAA. I get some guys need it, but the growing trend of players skipping AAA entirely gives me some comfort that some players are just ready.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
How are we going to see him behind all that netting!!!!

Sorry couldnt resist....
Someone summon

Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Someone summon

Lol...sorry was responding on my phone..... haven't seen that in a long time....feel so guilty.