White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:40 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,475
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
I'd be surprised if GMs didn't dictate to their manager how to manage a game. I'd imagine most teams have numbers people in the clubhouse telling their manager what to do in a given situation.
I'd imagine that's not nearly as common as you think. Traditionally GM builds the team. Managers manage the games.

Heck there were people railing against KW for perceived meddling in the clubhouse not that long ago.

I wouldn't doubt if they had regular meetings to discuss personnel, but as to the play by play managing aspect? I would be shocked. I think any manager worth their paycheck would be reasonably pissed off by that exact thing.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'd imagine that's not nearly as common as you think. Traditionally GM builds the team. Managers manage the games.

Heck there were people railing against KW for perceived meddling in the clubhouse not that long ago.

I wouldn't doubt if they had regular meetings to discuss personnel, but as to the play by play managing aspect? I would be shocked. I think any manager worth their paycheck would be reasonably pissed off by that exact thing.
Iíd be shocked if a GM was making in-game decisions but I do think GMs have a lot more say in lineup composition now than they did five or ten years ago. Iíve read that with the Mets, who might be the most dysfunctional team in baseball, itís frequently the owners who are dictating lineups.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-16-2019, 02:34 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
I'd be surprised if GMs didn't dictate to their manager how to manage a game. I'd imagine most teams have numbers people in the clubhouse telling their manager what to do in a given situation.

I would be very surprised if these imaginings have any nexus with reality.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,769
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if the GM of any team has sitdowns with the managers to tell them how to manage. It might simply be that the hitters are proving that bunting is not as necessary because they are likely to get hits. Might also have to do with pitching matchups or other factors.
Some GMs absolutely tell their managers how to manage. That's one of the reasons certain guys are picked to manage...so they'll listen to the GM.
Hahn definitely sat down with Ventura in-season a time or 2; I'm assuming he got word to Renteria (but I have not read it), because the bunting has ceased, at least as of now.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 16,236
Default

Why is Yoan Moncada put into the game when his back is clearly not 100%?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Why is Yoan Moncada put into the game when his back is clearly not 100%?
Thatís the complaint? If he canít play, he should be on the IL.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is online now
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,916
Default

Alonso batting clean up today. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Alonso batting clean up today. I just don't get it.
Yup. Right back to the sinkhole combo of Leuryís .619 OPS against RHP leading off and Alonsoís .502 OPS against RHP hitting cleanup...

At least we had one beautiful day yesterday without this bull****. I thoroughly enjoyed it, because I knew it would be fleeting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-28-2019, 10:56 PM
whitesoxfan1986 whitesoxfan1986 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,161
Default

Ricky is quickly approaching Bevington levels of buffoonery.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-28-2019, 11:17 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,115
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Ricky is quickly approaching Bevington levels of buffoonery.

Odd, I could have sworn I saw Colome warming up.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-28-2019, 11:59 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,617
Default

Just think - they gave this moron an extension for an undisclosed amount of years
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-29-2019, 12:07 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,475
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Just think - they gave this moron an extension for an undisclosed amount of years
I totally get why everyone hates him so much. I mean the Sox are still 3-games under .500 with this amazingly talented team that hasn't had any injuries to starting pitchers or been forced to start AAAA rejects at several key positions including 3/5 of his starting rotation for most of the year.

I mean who does he think he is only beating the best team in baseball by a mere 2 runs with his AS caliber SS and 3B not playing due to injuries and half his roster filled by players most of the posters in this thread are flat out pissed off they are still on the team let alone starting.

I mean screw Ricky... his boyz should quit... AMIRITE?!?!?

Never mind... I got this...

Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-29-2019, 02:26 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I totally get why everyone hates him so much. I mean the Sox are still 3-games under .500 with this amazingly talented team that hasn't had any injuries to starting pitchers or been forced to start AAAA rejects at several key positions including 3/5 of his starting rotation for most of the year.

I mean who does he think he is only beating the best team in baseball by a mere 2 runs with his AS caliber SS and 3B not playing due to injuries and half his roster filled by players most of the posters in this thread are flat out pissed off they are still on the team let alone starting.

I mean screw Ricky... his boyz should quit... AMIRITE?!?!?

Never mind... I got this...

The losses have been coming more regularly now that they have stopped playing against the dregs of the league. If not for Abreuís 9th-inning heroics Wednesday and an extra-inning win last Friday, that very well may have been an 0-6 road trip. A -63 run differential puts us down there with the Royals and Blue Jays, who definitely trail us talent-wise.

Rick Renteria sucks. As long as he is still the manager, I know this team isnít truly serious about competing.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-29-2019, 06:32 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,727
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I get that every manager is going to make decisions that backfire, ESPECIALLY when he has a deeply flawed roster.

However, I would like a reporter to grow a backbone and ask Renteria,

ďSo is having Zack Collins continue to ride the bench an organizational decision, or your decision? If itís an organizational decision, do you agree with it? And is it because you think itís best for Collinsí development, or best for the team trying to win games now, or both?Ē
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-29-2019, 08:04 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,769
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I still say he's about 5th on the list of management personnel that need to move along. Several priorities ahead of him.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.