White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
I'd be surprised if GMs didn't dictate to their manager how to manage a game. I'd imagine most teams have numbers people in the clubhouse telling their manager what to do in a given situation.
I'd imagine that's not nearly as common as you think. Traditionally GM builds the team. Managers manage the games.

Heck there were people railing against KW for perceived meddling in the clubhouse not that long ago.

I wouldn't doubt if they had regular meetings to discuss personnel, but as to the play by play managing aspect? I would be shocked. I think any manager worth their paycheck would be reasonably pissed off by that exact thing.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'd imagine that's not nearly as common as you think. Traditionally GM builds the team. Managers manage the games.

Heck there were people railing against KW for perceived meddling in the clubhouse not that long ago.

I wouldn't doubt if they had regular meetings to discuss personnel, but as to the play by play managing aspect? I would be shocked. I think any manager worth their paycheck would be reasonably pissed off by that exact thing.
Iíd be shocked if a GM was making in-game decisions but I do think GMs have a lot more say in lineup composition now than they did five or ten years ago. Iíve read that with the Mets, who might be the most dysfunctional team in baseball, itís frequently the owners who are dictating lineups.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'd be surprised if GMs didn't dictate to their manager how to manage a game. I'd imagine most teams have numbers people in the clubhouse telling their manager what to do in a given situation.

I would be very surprised if these imaginings have any nexus with reality.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'd be pretty surprised if the GM of any team has sitdowns with the managers to tell them how to manage. It might simply be that the hitters are proving that bunting is not as necessary because they are likely to get hits. Might also have to do with pitching matchups or other factors.
Some GMs absolutely tell their managers how to manage. That's one of the reasons certain guys are picked to manage...so they'll listen to the GM.
Hahn definitely sat down with Ventura in-season a time or 2; I'm assuming he got word to Renteria (but I have not read it), because the bunting has ceased, at least as of now.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Why is Yoan Moncada put into the game when his back is clearly not 100%?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Why is Yoan Moncada put into the game when his back is clearly not 100%?
Thatís the complaint? If he canít play, he should be on the IL.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Alonso batting clean up today. I just don't get it.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Alonso batting clean up today. I just don't get it.
Yup. Right back to the sinkhole combo of Leuryís .619 OPS against RHP leading off and Alonsoís .502 OPS against RHP hitting cleanup...

At least we had one beautiful day yesterday without this bull****. I thoroughly enjoyed it, because I knew it would be fleeting.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:56 PM
WSI Personality

Ricky is quickly approaching Bevington levels of buffoonery.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:17 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Ricky is quickly approaching Bevington levels of buffoonery.

Odd, I could have sworn I saw Colome warming up.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Just think - they gave this moron an extension for an undisclosed amount of years
Old 06-29-2019, 12:07 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Just think - they gave this moron an extension for an undisclosed amount of years
I totally get why everyone hates him so much. I mean the Sox are still 3-games under .500 with this amazingly talented team that hasn't had any injuries to starting pitchers or been forced to start AAAA rejects at several key positions including 3/5 of his starting rotation for most of the year.

I mean who does he think he is only beating the best team in baseball by a mere 2 runs with his AS caliber SS and 3B not playing due to injuries and half his roster filled by players most of the posters in this thread are flat out pissed off they are still on the team let alone starting.

I mean screw Ricky... his boyz should quit... AMIRITE?!?!?

Never mind... I got this...

Old 06-29-2019, 02:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I totally get why everyone hates him so much. I mean the Sox are still 3-games under .500 with this amazingly talented team that hasn't had any injuries to starting pitchers or been forced to start AAAA rejects at several key positions including 3/5 of his starting rotation for most of the year.

I mean who does he think he is only beating the best team in baseball by a mere 2 runs with his AS caliber SS and 3B not playing due to injuries and half his roster filled by players most of the posters in this thread are flat out pissed off they are still on the team let alone starting.

I mean screw Ricky... his boyz should quit... AMIRITE?!?!?

Never mind... I got this...

The losses have been coming more regularly now that they have stopped playing against the dregs of the league. If not for Abreuís 9th-inning heroics Wednesday and an extra-inning win last Friday, that very well may have been an 0-6 road trip. A -63 run differential puts us down there with the Royals and Blue Jays, who definitely trail us talent-wise.

Rick Renteria sucks. As long as he is still the manager, I know this team isnít truly serious about competing.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:32 AM
WSI Prelate

I get that every manager is going to make decisions that backfire, ESPECIALLY when he has a deeply flawed roster.

However, I would like a reporter to grow a backbone and ask Renteria,

ďSo is having Zack Collins continue to ride the bench an organizational decision, or your decision? If itís an organizational decision, do you agree with it? And is it because you think itís best for Collinsí development, or best for the team trying to win games now, or both?Ē
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:04 AM
WSI Prelate

I still say he's about 5th on the list of management personnel that need to move along. Several priorities ahead of him.