White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2019, 06:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I figured certain people should have their own place to vent about how much our general manager sucks. You know who you are, so have at it.
Why are you bothered that people aren't thrilled with the Job Rick Hahn has done since becoming GM?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:32 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

I again bring up what I was told by a high ranking member of the front office, if there aren't real, tangible signs of improvement this year on the field the pressure on the front office will be ratcheted up exponentially. And who knows where that could lead going into next year (Maybe another half assed approach to "going for it?")

Another dismal season could have major ramifications, maybe that would be good...maybe it would make things worse, who knows?

I dont see how bringing in different front office people would make a difference. Quality front office people will not accept a job with a owner so heavily involved. Swapping a Charlie McCarthy for Mortimer Snerd wont make things any better.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrechtel View Post

Why is Cease in AAA? The pitching on the major club is BRUTAL.
Because, as great as he might be soon, he's not ready yet. I have to agree with the Sox on this one. Last year was the first season that he had more than 100 innings pitched in a season. They're ramping up his workload slowly as they should. I don't want the Sox to rush him to the majors just because Nova and Santana suck.

If he keeps progressing, maybe we'll see Cease in Chicago in the 2nd half of this season. By the way, his last outing, he gave up 5 R in 4.2 IP and tonight he's given up 5 runs so far (3 earned) in 3.0 IP. He's still a work in progress.

Quote:
Who is responsible for not breaking out the money for a big FA this year?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Yup. Canít fire the owner. Everything else is destined to be handicapped by that simple yet profound fact.

Itís pretty hypercritical for anyone in ownership to lay down some sort of gauntlet regarding 2019 success after they went cheap on Machado and got burned for it.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 PM
WSI Guru

Fast fact: Since Rick Hahn took over, the White Sox are 30th in major league baseball in wins.

I agree, it's not completely his fault (I see you JR. I see you Kenny) but he sure as hell hasn't helped.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Fast fact: Since Rick Hahn took over, the White Sox are 30th in major league baseball in wins.

I agree, it's not completely his fault (I see you JR. I see you Kenny) but he sure as hell hasn't helped.
I guess that depends on if you expect to win the last two years and this one. If not because you recognize the rebuild is ongoing then he certainly has, just not for today.

I understand it's hard to watch the Sox lose, but your statement ignores the reality of the moment - the Sox are rebuilding.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 PM
WSI High Priest

The horrible state that the Sox are in is the fault of the troika that runs the team, Reinsdorf, Williams and Hahn, the blame should be equally shared among them. As far as hate goes, that is a very strong word but I've detested JR for most of his tenure as the owner of the franchise and my biggest hope is I wake up one morning to the news that he has sold the team.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-25-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Why are you bothered that people aren't thrilled with the Job Rick Hahn has done since becoming GM?
I'm not. I'm bothered that people have this incessant need to bring it up in every single thread as if they're telling us something new. It gets old and tiring.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I guess that depends on if you expect to win the last two years and this one. If not because you recognize the rebuild is ongoing then he certainly has, just not for today.

I understand it's hard to watch the Sox lose, but your statement ignores the reality of the moment - the Sox are rebuilding.
Sure... but then how do you explain the three seasons before the "rebuild"?

Just stating the facts... since Hahn "officially" became the GM they have the fewest wins in baseball. (And that's saying something considering the Marlins...)

Again not completely his fault, he's had a lot of help from the baseball side of the organization.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'm not. I'm bothered that people have this incessant need to bring it up in every single thread as if they're telling us something new. It gets old and tiring.
Guess what...so does losing and looking ridiculous on the field.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Sure... but then how do you explain the three seasons before the "rebuild"?

Just stating the facts... since Hahn "officially" became the GM they have the fewest wins in baseball. (And that's saying something considering the Marlins...)

Again not completely his fault, he's had a lot of help from the baseball side of the organization.
Well the last two years and at least partially this year the losses were not only expected but desired. So it's a bit of double edged sword there. The team was tanking on purpose for draft picks and spending time and resources on young prospects and not on the big league club.

Obviously the three years before that the results were less than ideal, but there have been reports Hahn wanted to try a rebuild sooner but got overruled or at least talked out of it. Since he got to enact his vision the losses are 100% explainable and as I said desirable.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Guess what...so does losing and looking ridiculous on the field.
So that gives you the right to whine about every "great Rick Hahn acquisition" whenever they underachieve or do something to screw up a game? Why do you think I started this thread? We get it. You think he sucks and his moves have sucked. Now stop pushing this **** in every thread. It's not amusing anymore.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:46 AM
WSI Prelate

If pointing out poor results is "hating" then I'll start with this to the Hahn "apologists": 1) Why did a team in the middle of a rebuild use an entire offseason trading for veterans instead of young players?
And further, when those veterans stink*, why is that it "doesn't matter?"
2) I would also like to hear the justification of a team, that has put so many resources into finding middle relievers, losing one from their AA team to a major league bullpen.
3) If Hahn is a top shelf GM, why is his rebuild behind the Padres', which started at the same time? And maybe even the Tigers, which started after?

*Of the 6 veterans acquired, the 2 bullpen pitchers are good (one obtained at a heavy price and has 2 years of control), the 2 starting pitchers and 1 position starter are terrible, and the other hasn't played. Those are awful results for veterans.

Last edited by Tragg; 04-26-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM
WSI Personality

Rick Hahn is a politician. Anytime they put a microphone in his face, he's going to tell you what he thinks you want to hear. Particularly in the off-season when they are trying to get you to buy tickets.

The club's veteran pick-ups will continue to be players at the end of the line because no one in their right mind would sign here if they could get a comparable deal anywhere else.

Getting a good veteran will require an overpay, and that's not going to happen with this ownership.

We as a fan base just need to keep hoping that prospects succeed. Because what other choice do we have?

ďIt's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd
Old 04-26-2019, 11:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Yes, I understand the Sox are rebuilding, but I don't go along with the notion that the win-loss record doesn't matter. If the rebuilding is working, you would at least see an improvement even if the team isn't at .500.

I don't hate Hahn, and at least the organization is focused on a strategy. However, I am not investing a great deal of emotion in it. The losing began before the rebuild, and the organization has credibility with many fans.

I don't expect to see any winning until 2021 and it might not happen then. The rebuilding explanation can be used for only so long. There is some reason for hope, but there are still many question marks.

I believe the record for most consecutive losing seasons for the Sox franchise is nine. If the team hits that mark, what will it say to its fans then?