White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Both Goins and Jay have shown themselves to be much better than Castillo and Santiago. If you really want the Sox to contend next year you need proven solid players on the team even if they are not future HoF members. Remember not even the 1927 Yankees all wound up on the HoF.
You think Goins and Jay are "proven solid players" that have a future with this club? And you think the Sox should be content with their performance and not try to improve over it?
Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, we’re just coming at this from completely different perspectives. After a team supposedly “going for it” in 2016 ended up with Austin Jackson’s 1-year deal as its major free agent signing, I abandoned any and all expectations regarding this ownership’s willingness to spend the necessary amount of money to compete. The Machado fiasco reinforced my skepticism tenfold. In fact, we may find ourselves in a situation where even signing a guy like Wheeler may be too much to ask from these skinflints. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some Shields trade redux and traded for Arrieta if the Phillies agreed to pay half.
A big difference between 2016 and 2020 is that the Sox are going to go into the offseason with something like $25 million in committed payroll for next year. They have room to add a couple big additions and still be in the bottom half of payroll in the majors.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
A big difference between 2016 and 2020 is that the Sox are going to go into the offseason with something like $25 million in committed payroll for next year. They have room to add a couple big additions and still be in the bottom half of payroll in the majors.
Arb players and bringing back Abreu raise that to somewhere around $50 million. They would be idiots to trade McCann, Colomé and Sanchez will be too expensive to trade, and I don’t see Abreu getting a massive pay cut. With the strides he has made defensively, Leury’s salary probably will be an underpay, so there is no good reason to trade away his salary, either. That definitely is low enough to land a high-end starter, a high-end RF, and a high-end reliever.

You’re right. No excuses this time.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:34 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox are ranked worst in baseball at two positions: RF and DH. Ouch.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...every-position

3 HRs from our right fielders this year. Avi "Non-Tendered" Garcia has 18 HRs for the Rays. Our RF also ranks 2nd worst in the majors.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Have the Sox changed? Excellent article.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/09/1...osing-seasons/
Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Have the Sox changed? Excellent article.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/09/1...osing-seasons/
Meh, Margalus is a dark cloud. Same tired old line about of 7 straight losing seasons when everyone knew this team basically punted until about 2020 after the 2016 season.

Listening to him, you'd think the rebuild was teetering on collapse despite the wildly successful years by TA, Moncada, Eloy, Giolito, Robert, and Madrigal.

Colome is having a dreadful 2nd half? :Confused: Really? He's been DREADFUL? McCann had a dreadful July but then rebounded with decent numbers in August and Sept. But, I guess we have a narrative to fit....so let's call both of these guys dreadful.

It's not just me who questions Margalus. Our fellow fans over at Soxtalk have been ripping him on his over negativity in recent discussions.

Questions about this FO's ability to judge talent when it comes to trades and FA signings? Certainly. But beating the same dead horse about the Shark Trade isn't exactly compelling reading to me.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2003
Old 09-14-2019, 11:38 PM
WSI Prelate

McCann has certainly come back down to earth in the 2nd half. I'd still call him a good pick up, though. He shouldn't be counted on as a long-term answer, but he's been a good catcher for us this year and I'm glad we had him in 2019.

Saying Colome has had a dreadful 2nd half sounds like a stretch.

Is Margalus suggesting that the Sox are suppressing Robert in order to "goose up" the farm system rankings?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
McCann has certainly come back down to earth in the 2nd half. I'd still call him a good pick up, though. He shouldn't be counted on as a long-term answer, but he's been a good catcher for us this year and I'm glad we had him in 2019.

Saying Colome has had a dreadful 2nd half sounds like a stretch.

Is Margalus suggesting that the Sox are suppressing Robert in order to "goose up" the farm system rankings?
Who's better than McCann right now? If they can find a better catcher in FA that's another story but I want them to concentrate on pitching and RF.

Robert was not held back for any other reason other than to get another year of eligibility out of him by bringing him up in mid April. That could change if he agrees to a "Jimenez type" deal but I wouldn't bet on that. He received a very large signing bonus and is in a different situation than Eloy was in.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Meh, Margalus is a dark cloud. Same tired old line about of 7 straight losing seasons when everyone knew this team basically punted until about 2020 after the 2016 season.

Listening to him, you'd think the rebuild was teetering on collapse despite the wildly successful years by TA, Moncada, Eloy, Giolito, Robert, and Madrigal.

Colome is having a dreadful 2nd half? :Confused: Really? He's been DREADFUL? McCann had a dreadful July but then rebounded with decent numbers in August and Sept. But, I guess we have a narrative to fit....so let's call both of these guys dreadful.

It's not just me who questions Margalus. Our fellow fans over at Soxtalk have been ripping him on his over negativity in recent discussions.

Questions about this FO's ability to judge talent when it comes to trades and FA signings? Certainly. But beating the same dead horse about the Shark Trade isn't exactly compelling reading to me.
Spot on here. Especially the McCann bit.

Not really sure how the season could have gone much better outside of Lopez and Cease having more consistency.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

And then there is Omar Narvaez with his .821 OPS and 3 more years of control driving the stake in the heart in inning 10. Sox are looking for a LH hitter, aren't they?
Add it to Brandon Brennan (who would be 4th in the WS bullpen in WHIP, 2nd in Ks), whom Hahn and Getz evaluated as AA level talent.
More for the annals of "who could have known"
Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
And then there is Omar Narvaez with his .821 OPS and 3 more years of control driving the stake in the heart in inning 10. Sox are looking for a LH hitter, aren't they?
Add it to Brandon Brennan (who would be 4th in the WS bullpen in WHIP, 2nd in Ks), whom Hahn and Getz evaluated as AA level talent.
I didn't love the deal when it happened, as Narvaez was pretty much the only high OBP guy on the team last year. However, the performance of McCann eases the sting quite a bit and is a better defensive player. Also his work with younger pitchers isn't something to be overlooked, even if it's hard to quantify statistically.

Not out of the question either to trade back for him if they still see a fit.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yep, Narvaez got the game winning HR off of Colome in one game last night. CASE CLOSED.

It's not like we traded Narvaez for a bucket of balls.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I didn't love the deal when it happened, as Narvaez was pretty much the only high OBP guy on the team last year. However, the performance of McCann eases the sting quite a bit and is a better defensive player. Also his work with younger pitchers isn't something to be overlooked, even if it's hard to quantify statistically.

Not out of the question either to trade back for him if they still see a fit.
Bingo. Just because Narvaez has hit well for Seattle and we gave up something of value to get Colome, it doesn't mean the Sox got totally hosed in that trade. They got a high-quality closer in return and it opened the door for acquiring McCann instead of going with Narvaez/Castillo as our backstops for the season. The though of those 2 handling all of our catching duties in 2019 doesn't sound like a good alternate reality to me.

Looking ahead, if the Sox are really going to miss having a high OPS, LH-hitting catcher who really isn't a very good defensive catcher.....well, they do have Zack Collins waiting in the wings.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Brandon Brennan is indicative of anything? A 28-year-old, +0.3 WAR reliever who was seldom even mediocre in 7 years in our system?

Please. This has to be one of the silliest criticisms of Hahn ever.

The Sox picked up 29-year-old Evan Marshall off the scrap heap and he's given them 1.4 WAR. They picked up 31-year-old Josh Osich off the scrap heap and he's given them 0.4. Guys like this aren't even guaranteed roster spots next year.

Maybe they should have hung on to Brennan instead.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 09-15-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Hmmm. Brandon Brennan just gave up the lead on a grand slam by Welington Castillo.

Kudos to Hahn for planting a foreign agent in the Seattle bullpen!