White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's the Gordon Beckham syndrome. So many fans are convinced that the Sox prospects are doomed to failure that they cannot realize the current batch actually has a nice amount of talent.

The Gordon Beckham syndrome and whats happened in the 10 years since beckham. Hopefully seeing a batting champ will help ease our fears.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's the Gordon Beckham syndrome. So many fans are convinced that the Sox prospects are doomed to failure that they cannot realize the current batch actually has a nice amount of talent.
Beckham had a great amount of talent. He didn't adjust and this organization's history of developing younger players has been hot garbage. Hopefully Moncada and Giolito are turning points.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Hopefully Moncada and Giolito are turning points.

Neither are home grown products. Only anderson is.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
This argument only matters if Giolito and Moncada were finished projects by the time they got to the White Sox organization. As we saw in 2018, they weren't.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Wow, with all the negativity in this thread, you'd think the Sox lost yesterday. Am I imagining it, or did our pitcher throw a 1-hit CG shutout yesterday while the good guys scored 7 runs on 12 hits? You'd never know that by the tone of this thread.

Also, rumor has it that our SS banged out 2 hits, including a double, and now has the highest batting average in the AL. But, I guess fans are too busy moving him to the OF to notice.

EDIT: It wasn't a shutout. The Tribe scored 1 run. So, I guess the negativity is justified.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2003

Last edited by GoSox2K3; 09-06-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Wow, with all the negativity in this thread, you'd think the Sox lost yesterday. Am I imagining it, or did our pitcher throw a 1-hit CG shutout yesterday while the good guys scored 7 runs on 12 hits? You'd never know that by the tone of this thread.

Also, rumor has it that our SS banged out 2 hits, including a double, and now has the highest batting average in the AL. But, I guess fans are too busy moving him to the OF to notice.

EDIT: It wasn't a shutout. The Tribe scored 1 run. So, I guess the negativity is justified.
It's really only 1-2 people being negative. There have been more comments defending the team and criticizing the negativity than there were actual negative comments.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Lopez had a crap first half, but a pretty good second half including 2 of his last 3 starts being nothing short of dominant (sandwiched around an all-time crapper). But for a young player, IMO what's more relevant is the improvement over the season. Particularly given that there were specific things that he pointed to changing post-ASB.

If he can just be a solid #3-4, then with Cease also showing flashes (yes it's just flashes, but again, young player), and GIolito looking like a bonafide #1 or at least a top-end #2, you've got the makings of a pretty good rotation before you get to a potential offseason addition. Someone like Cole at the front makes it potentially dominant.

And that would pair with a lineup that's got similar really good young players demonstrating how good they can be in Eloy, TA, Moncada with Abreu and McCann as solid/steady vets and Collins looking like he's a much improved hitter in his albiet short stint back up. Add Robert and Madrigal and that's a potentially dominant lineup to go with the rotation.

Which is why in this current situation, I'd back the truck up for an SP even if it means I roll Leury out in RF or Cordell/Engel or someone. The lineup can take one D-first, weak bat player given the rest of the guys. Ideally add an SP and an RF but SP is far far far and away more important.
The Sox payroll is minuscule for a MLB team. I say they should back up the truck for a SP and pay up for a solid RF next year. Put them in a lineup/rotation along with Moncada, TA, Jimenez, McCann, Abreu, Collins, Robert, Madrigal and Giolito/Cease/Kopech/Lopez and let's see what those guys can do. There will still be growing pains and playoffs are certainly not guaranteed, but I bet they'd be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'm not quite so sure I'm ready to call Giolito a bonafide number one because he is just one year removed from being literally the worst pitcher in baseball last year.

However! Barring any injuries, it is not totally inconceivable that the Sox could wind up having a really good starting rotation if Giolito continues to pitch like has this year, Lopez pitches like he has in the second half, Kopech comes back healthy and Cease takes a step forward.
Wasn't Giolito considered one of the top prospects in baseball when he was with the Nats organization? It's not like his good performance this year came out of the blue. That gives me hope that last year was just part of a difficult learning process for him and this year is what we should expect from him going forward.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
The Sox payroll is minuscule for a MLB team. I say they should back up the truck for a SP and pay up for a solid RF next year. Put them in a lineup/rotation along with Moncada, TA, Jimenez, McCann, Abreu, Collins, Robert, Madrigal and Giolito/Cease/Kopech/Lopez and let's see what those guys can do. There will still be growing pains and playoffs are certainly not guaranteed, but I bet they'd be fun to watch.
Agreed. I imagine they would want a shorter-term deal (2-3 years max) for the RF, as they wait to see if anyone emerges among the OF prospects. But there really is no excuse for not spending on a legit top-end starter this year. I get that they don't want to get into a bidding war on Cole, but I do think they should be willing to go over what he's worth due to the surplus in value they're getting from all the young pieces. Besides, with the way free agency has gone the past couple years, the bidding war might not materialize the way some are projecting. Remember when some were projecting $400 million for Harper/Machado?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
This argument only matters if Giolito and Moncada were finished projects by the time they got to the White Sox organization. As we saw in 2018, they weren't.
Exactly.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 09-06-2019, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Both Moncada and Giolito were not finished products when they were acquired by the White Sox. The White Sox, while not fully growing those 2 prospects, have most certainly been a factor in their development.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:47 AM
WSI Prelate

The Sox have now matched their 2018 win total with 22 games to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Agreed. I imagine they would want a shorter-term deal (2-3 years max) for the RF, as they wait to see if anyone emerges among the OF prospects. But there really is no excuse for not spending on a legit top-end starter this year. I get that they don't want to get into a bidding war on Cole, but I do think they should be willing to go over what he's worth due to the surplus in value they're getting from all the young pieces. Besides, with the way free agency has gone the past couple years, the bidding war might not materialize the way some are projecting. Remember when some were projecting $400 million for Harper/Machado?
Short-term deal for RF sounds reasonable. That'd give us a couple of years to see if any one of Rutherford, Walker, or Adolfo will ever become an acceptable everyday major league player. (Gonzalez or Basabe too, but I'm less hopeful about them). At 1B/DH, I'm willing to ride it out in 2020 primarily with Abreu and Collins with Vaughn waiting in the wings at 1B possibly in 2021.

...and yeah, if they're not willing to pay market rate for a top of rotation (or at least very solid mid-rotation) starter when it looks like they can fill most of the rest of the lineup/rotation internally, then this whole effort will likely fall short.