White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Mike Rizzo said Harper had an MRI and there was no tendon or ligament damage, just a severe bone bruise. He should be back before the end of the season.
Like with Moncada's collision, Washington (who has already lost at least two key pieces) dodged a major bullet.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I can't see anybody taking down the Dodgers at this point. They are incredible and almost 50 games over .500.
They are by far the best team in baseball but one thing concerns me...they've been winning a lot of games in their final at-bat.

You just wonder if in a short series (even a seven game series is short compared to a 162 game season) that "luck" for wont of a better word is going to even out. They've had some incredible, eye popping finishes and you just wonder against another good team if they can keep doing that when it really counts.

We'll see.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
They are by far the best team in baseball but one thing concerns me...they've been winning a lot of games in their final at-bat.

You just wonder if in a short series (even a seven game series is short compared to a 162 game season) that "luck" for wont of a better word is going to even out. They've had some incredible, eye popping finishes and you just wonder against another good team if they can keep doing that when it really counts.

We'll see.
Before they got Darvish I didn't think they had enough SP to win in the playoffs, but now they've got 3 serious starters and that should be enough.

Their offense is insane, but hard to slug your way to a WS title given the level of pitching in the playoffs.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM
WSI Guru

Glad he didn't suffer a major injury. He looked like he was in a lot of pain. I still have the Nationals as the pennant winners because the Dodgers have yet to prove they can win in the playoffs. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Glad he didn't suffer a major injury. He looked like he was in a lot of pain. I still have the Nationals as the pennant winners because the Dodgers have yet to prove they can win in the playoffs. I'll believe it when I see it.
Couldn't the same be said of the Nationals? Washington is a perennial playoff disappointment.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Couldn't the same be said of the Nationals? Washington is a perennial playoff disappointment.
You could, but the Dodgers have a longer track record of it. I guess you could say in this case, I'm taking the lesser of two evils.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
What is he supposed to do, sit his team out because it was raining? I don't see how Harper getting injured stepping on a wet base has anything to do with the manager.

A manager should know if the field is safe, if he deems its not, you sit your franchise player when up by 14 games. Its one darn game, no need to chance it.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
You could, but the Dodgers have a longer track record of it. I guess you could say in this case, I'm taking the lesser of two evils.
Washington's had a WS-caliber team for about five years. I remember when they sat Strasburg a few years back and their GM arrogantly was making comments about how they'd have many deep playoff runs in the coming years, etc. so it was ok to rest him.

To date, they haven't won a single playoff series let alone a pennant or title. It's remarkably similar how both DC's baseball and hockey teams look unbeatable during the reg. season but then do nothing when it counts.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Agreed. Just not ready to pencil the Cubs into the playoffs like Lip is.

With the Harper injury, I don't see any way it's not Los Angelse representing the NL.
Willson Contreras carried the team post ASB. They are going to miss him big time.

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
Washington's had a WS-caliber team for about five years. I remember when they sat Strasburg a few years back and their GM arrogantly was making comments about how they'd have many deep playoff runs in the coming years, etc. so it was ok to rest him.

To date, they haven't won a single playoff series let alone a pennant or title. It's remarkably similar how both DC's baseball and hockey teams look unbeatable during the reg. season but then do nothing when it counts.
Nats GM Mike Rizzo is firmly in the camp of viewing the playoffs as a crapshoot. His approach is to attempt to field a competitive team in as many years as possible rather than to go "all-in" on any one year.

That's why the Nationals rarely, if ever, make a splash at the deadline. Their big pick-ups at the deadline this year were Sean Doolittle and Howie Kendrick, as opposed to Yu Darvish, Quintana, Jay Bruce, etc.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
A manager should know if the field is safe, if he deems its not, you sit your franchise player when up by 14 games. Its one darn game, no need to chance it.
If a manager deems a field not safe to play on, I would hope he holds back his entire team until it is safe.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Nats GM Mike Rizzo is firmly in the camp of viewing the playoffs as a crapshoot. His approach is to attempt to field a competitive team in as many years as possible rather than to go "all-in" on any one year.

That's why the Nationals rarely, if ever, make a splash at the deadline. Their big pick-ups at the deadline this year were Sean Doolittle and Howie Kendrick, as opposed to Yu Darvish, Quintana, Jay Bruce, etc.
Some Nats fans say his playoff record as Nats GM reflects that.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
If a manager deems a field not safe to play on, I would hope he holds back his entire team until it is safe.

You cant forfeit but you can protect your key players.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
You cant forfeit but you can protect your key players.
Sure you can.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Sure you can.

Ownership is not going to let a manager do that.