GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'd really love to hear some of his calls from earlier in his career. It would be cool if you could hear him call Andy Hawkins no-hitting the Sox but the Sox still won. Or even some of his calls with the Red Sox.
I've got those including the SportsVision broadcast of the Hawkins game and the last game at Comiskey Park.

Earliest games I've got with Hawk and Don Drysdale are from 1982. Hawk really was good with Don they had a good chemistry.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:19 PM
WSI Regular

https://youtu.be/a57PqAvsSCo

daaaag gummit!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

The first thing that comes to mind with Hawk is the stuff he said all the time - grab some bench, he gone, stretch, etc.

In terms of specific moments, I agree that there's Joe! Crede! and Come on Timo, and then there's everything else. Joe! Crede! is one of the first things that plays in my head when I think of Hawk.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-16-2018, 11:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The 1991 game in Texas that the Sox lost when a ball hit down the 3rd base line was ruled fair. Replay showed it was clearly foul and Hawk lost it. So did Wimpy as I recall although not to that degree that Hawk did.
Here you go:

I remember watching that game and thinking the same things Harrelson was saying.

What's apparent watching this is how much more energy he had, and how much more solid he was then as a play-by-play guy.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I’ll go with one that’s not my favorite, but is up there in its late-Hawk-ness:

“Come on, Timo! Come on, Timo! Come on, Timo!”
Classic moment in the history of our sport.

In the 2000s, DJ mentioned the new Sox blog, and Hawk responded with "What's a blog!?" in an angry, "now what the hell have these whippersnaps come up with!!" kind of way. It was so old-man-in-the-21st-century, and it was awesome.

he's in the cat bird seat, you can cancel the postgame show, there's a matt abbatacola, cinch it up and strap it down, ducksnort, can o corn, cookie, sacks packed with Sox, ducks on the pond. It's funny how some obscure 670 am employee would be known nationwide in WGN broadcasts.

We are forever indebted to him for coining The Big Hurt. Great nickname.

There's also the time he yelled "That's just BS!!!".

"I'll tell you what... playing with Carl Yastremski..."

After Wimpy, DJ and now Stone Pony told us the weather conditions, lineups and umpires, Hawk was always methodical in saying "Good evening/afternoon everybody, and welcome to white sox baseball." So dependable in the delivery, you knew the wait was over to see a game again.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

For most iconic call, it has to be "Joe. Crede!" For the Timo game, I played hooky and was basking in the 3B line sun, never hearing that call until much later. To my eternal regret, I didn't skip work the day of Buehrle's perfecto, so Hawk's call of the DeWayne Wise catch will always ring out for me. Because it was before his eyes got really bad, he pretty quickly saw the significance and did justice to one of the greatest Sox moments.

I think Hawk was at his best with Don Drysdale. They had a rapport that he never quite recaptured, though Hawk and Wimpy had some good years. In contrast, DJ came into his own after he went to radio. Drysdale was the play-by-play guy -- IMO, Hawk was much better as color -- and the chemistry was also better because they were more like equals, which clearly was never the case with any of Hawk's partners once he moved to the main seat.

Listening to them, I learned some finer points of baseball that none of my coaches actually imparted, including the basics of situational hitting. (I know, doesn't reflect well on my coaches -- or maybe I was too awesome to be called upon to move runners over. ) You might differ, but I appreciated Drysdale's somewhat bland professionalism after the **** show that Harry and Jimmy became toward the end. Whether or not Drysdale kept him in check, Hawk's excesses weren't very apparent until later. I think Harrelson would be remembered differently -- better, but again just IMO -- if his run with Double D had been measured in decades. Through no fault of Hawk's, it wasn't meant to be.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Here you go:

I remember watching that game and thinking the same things Harrelson was saying.

What's apparent watching this is how much more energy he had, and how much more solid he was then as a play-by-play guy.
I really love Hawk and all that he gave to the Sox and I'm so glad I got to grow up listening to him.

He's the ultimate fan and I'm glad they won a championship while he was around.

I'm going to miss the guy.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM
WSI Personality

Mine was in the late 80's or early 90's. The Sox were playing Cleveland in old Municipal Stadium and before the game the TV camera panned the oufield wall and the old Chief Wahoo's picture was on there, probably paying homage to the 1948 World Championship team, and without missing a beat, Tom Paciorek said..."Most players get their numbers retired on the wall, but the Indians retired Hawk's face and put it on the wall!"

I LOL'd for about 10 minutes!!

Old 06-23-2018, 12:00 AM
WSI Personality

There are so many great calls, and all his "Hawkisms."

Yeah he had a load of haters, but I loved his fan-boy persona - made me feel like there was someone else feeling my ups and downs during the game.

As for top calls, I'd go with...

- Thome's 500 HR "you're awesome big man!"

- Buehrle's perfecto

- "JOE...CREDE!!!"

That last call resonates since we were close to losing the division then, and that blast really turned the tide towards our title. It was a collective burst of joy.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

how about when the mariners had the bases loaded and hawk said, "Sacks full of seamen!"
Old 06-23-2018, 10:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
how about when the mariners had the bases loaded and hawk said, "Sacks full of seamen!"
Along those lines, I’ll neber forget Hawk’s “response” to conclude this exchange:

Hawk: Sit back and strap it down...

DJ: You can strap it up; you can strap in down; just make sure you don’t strap it on...

Hawk: <30 seconds of silence>
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 PM
WSI Personality

“But not after a big crooked number goes up on that board!”

Had some time to reminisce and thought i'd add just a couple of my favorite/memorable Hawk moments.

The first was I believe in 2003 when the Sox were out west playing the Angels for the first time of the season. Hawk, never one to eschew lavishing praise on the opposing team, was soon pouring it on thick over the Halos' new talented prospect Chone Figgins. Throughout his lengthy spiel, he kept calling him cha-own. I remember cringing as he said cha-own over and over again and starting to chuckle. After the diatribe regarding Mr. Figgins, the booth was dead silent for at least a full minute (several pitches had gone by). Then, as only Hawk could do, nonchalantly states "My partner DJ has informed me his name is pronounced Shawn". I was dying, as you could feel the tension and could tell Hawk was probably furious no one had told him or he hadn't researched it. Classic.

The second one that pops in as I think back was probably around the same time, circa '02 / '03. This time the Sox were visiting Kansas City, and it was in the late innings of a blow out yawner, endless pitching changes etc. At some point the broadcast showed George Brett's retired number on the screen, and to pass the time Hawk had decided to entertain us with yet another recollection of George Brett's "interesting" condition that he had to overcome throughout his playing career. Paraphrasing the ole Hawkaroo: "ya....he was a great player, one of the best. I can recall George telling us on the golf course a while back that the reason why he didnt hit .400 was because he had hemorrhoids. (probably another minute of hemorrhoid talk ensue)" There was another long, long pause of silence until Hawk finally chimes in "everybody gets hemorrhoids DJ". To this day me and my friends will say that to one another "everybody gets hemorrhoids DJ". Legendary. As all of us long time Sox fans are aware, I believe Hawk would bring up the Brett hemorrhoid talk almost every season at some point.

Last edited by Crooked Number; 06-23-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Looks like good old #14 is going to join Hawk in the booth on August 19.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ko...th/c-288230730

Quote:
It's kind of the end of an era, a big long era. I don't think guys are going to get to do it as long as he's done it, and I don't think guys will be allowed to be like he is anymore, right?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:37 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I would rather see the 70's 14 in the booth with harrelson for a game.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I would rather see the 70's 14 in the booth with harrelson for a game.
That would be interesting, both Melton and Hawk could tell some great stories from those days, of course Hawk was trying to be a PGA player right around the time Melton won the HR champioship. I still wonder how good of a career Melton would have had if not for the back injury.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-03-2018 at 05:35 PM.