White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:05 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
If I'd rank the Sox young pitching prospects in order I'd go:

1) Kopech,
2) Hansen
3) Giolito
4) Cease
5) Lopez
6) Dunning
7) Fulmer


I still consider Giolito and Lopez as "propsects" for this list.

#1 and #2 would be untouchable for me for any rental.
What would you give up for a rental in a year where the team is likely to win at most 75 games? For me #1-6 are untouchable. I need to know I can flip Machado at the deadline and get back at least what I gave up.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:39 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
What would you give up for a rental in a year where the team is likely to win at most 75 games? For me #1-6 are untouchable. I need to know I can flip Machado at the deadline and get back at least what I gave up.
I truly wouldn't even be discussing any trades or big name acquisitions at this point.

But just based on the rumors, if they are engaged it better not be for any of those top 2 at the very least.

I really wanted to see we have from Burger and Anderson for one more full season before making decisions on jumping at $300 million ballplayers.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
What would you give up for a rental in a year where the team is likely to win at most 75 games? For me #1-6 are untouchable. I need to know I can flip Machado at the deadline and get back at least what I gave up.
Honestly, I’ll go with “none of the above.” I want the White Sox to run far away from this deal. I want the team to sell, not buy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 12-19-2017, 01:30 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
I truly wouldn't even be discussing any trades or big name acquisitions at this point.

I really wanted to see we have from Burger and Anderson for one more full season before making decisions on jumping at $300 million ballplayers.
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 AM
RockJock07 RockJock07 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 1,357
Default

Some of the thinking about MM would be to have your stud in place by the time some of these pieces are ready to really contribute in 19/20.
__________________
Aaron Rodgers & "The Belt", crushing the NFC since 2008

Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 12-19-2017, 10:21 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 55,214
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
Some of the thinking about MM would be to have your stud in place by the time some of these pieces are ready to really contribute in 19/20.
Yes and signing him to a long term deal when payroll is ridiculously low locks in a need position for the long run. If they can actually acquire and keep him for a reasonable trade cost you have to do it. If not then yeah, waiting until the next off-season makes more sense and make a run in free agency.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,187
Default

Dan Duquette was quoted as saying recently the O's were going to have to "fish or cut bait soon" on the Machado situation.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North side, 60618
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Dan Duquette was quoted as saying recently the O's were going to have to "fish or cut bait soon" on the Machado situation.
It would definitely be appreciated to know what they want to do soon...
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:42 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
It would definitely be appreciated to know what they want to do soon...
Actually, I've got about 3 1/2 months until it matters to me.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:38 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,335
Default

White Sox and Cubs still in on a potential deal according to Bruce Levine.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:39 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
That wasn't what I was saying though. What I was saying is, its easier to close the gap at 1b than 3b, and MUCH easier if you think Machado can be an elite SS (which many do).

Its why you don't have 20 teams trying to get Abreu right now, its just not hard to find a good enough 1b. Yes, he is better than all those "good enough guys" but 1b is just a low positional value spot.
The flaw in this argument to me is that because first base is a position where guys whose primary skill is typically hitting, it somehow diminishes the value of the hitting skill. You can't just put anyone at first and suddenly they are a good hitter. That's why they are a major league starting first baseman to begin with. Its not like .300 hitting 80 extra base hitters are just growing on trees
__________________
"Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride."
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,187
Default

Levine said (as always take it with a grain of salt) that the Orioles asked for Javy Baez for Machado.

Also saw a report this afternoon that stated Angelos will not approve a deal for Machado regardless of what Duquette brings to him...we'll see.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 12-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture
The flaw in this argument to me is that because first base is a position where guys whose primary skill is typically hitting, it somehow diminishes the value of the hitting skill. You can't just put anyone at first and suddenly they are a good hitter. That's why they are a major league starting first baseman to begin with. Its not like .300 hitting 80 extra base hitters are just growing on trees
You have to think about it the opposite way. It’s not about diminishing what those guys playing 1B hit. It’s about prioritizing guys who put up those numbers at positions other than 1B or corner OF.

12 teams received an OPS north of .850 out of the 1B position last year. By comparison, only 5 teams reached that level at 3B, and only 2 teams reached that level at SS.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:09 AM
whitesoxfan1986 whitesoxfan1986 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,078
Default

This is the first time in my Sox fandom that I am actively hoping that the Sox DON'T get the big name they are after in a trade. I think giving up anything but guys who probably won't be prospects in a year or two makes zero sense for the Sox at this stage of their rebuild. The fact that Hahn MAY have contemplated giving up value for 1 year of Machado in a non-contending season is beyond asinine.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
This is the first time in my Sox fandom that I am actively hoping that the Sox DON'T get the big name they are after in a trade. I think giving up anything but guys who probably won't be prospects in a year or two makes zero sense for the Sox at this stage of their rebuild. The fact that Hahn MAY have contemplated giving up value for 1 year of Machado in a non-contending season is beyond asinine.
It's just Hahn keeping the buzz going.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.