White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 03:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Latest updates still has us giving the best offer, but Machado will refuse an extension.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Latest updates still has us giving the best offer, but Machado will refuse an extension.
I don't blame us for taking a shot at it just as I don't blame Machado for betting on himself and refusing an extension right now. He'd make bank now but could make even more if he puts up another 6-7 WAR season.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I realize it's every player's right to refuse to negotiate and be left alone to explore Free Agency.

But boy is it so risky to leave say a guaranteed $200 - $220 million offer on the table upfront when things can easily come crashing down with the risk of injury.

Justin Masterson comes to mind for me and I'm sure there are many more.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I don't blame us for taking a shot at it just as I don't blame Machado for betting on himself and refusing an extension right now. He'd make bank now but could make even more if he puts up another 6-7 WAR season.
Well he had a sub 3 WAR season just now.

I'd take any $200 million offer right now that comes to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
I realize it's every player's right to refuse to negotiate and be left alone to explore Free Agency.

But boy is it so risky to leave say a guaranteed $200 - $220 million offer on the table upfront when things can easily come crashing down with the risk of injury.

Justin Masterson comes to mind for me and I'm sure there are many more.
Itís also risky to settle for an extension that looks to represent about 70 cents on the dollar when compared to what he would earn in free agency.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Itís also risky to settle for an extension that looks to represent about 70 cents on the dollar when compared to what he would earn in free agency.
Right- if I'm Machado, I'd risk it and go for the even bigger pay day after next season. The guy can get 10 years at $30 million per.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I'd take the risk of losing out 30 cents on the dollar vs the possibility of that loss being 50 cents or greater if I get injured or perform at less than a 3 WAR level again.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The more I think about this deal, the more I am shaking my head. This is a ownership that hasnt spent 70M on a contract and now suddenly they are willing to go 200+M? Im thinking this was a way to get the team press coverage and it worked.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
I'd take the risk of losing out 30 cents on the dollar vs the possibility of that loss being 50 cents or greater if I get injured or perform at less than a 3 WAR level again.
Even with a slow start and a monster end to 2018 just like 2017, Machado still figures to command something in that Stanton $300+ million territory. The real risk is injury. Heís betting on himself to stay healthy, because something like 10 years and $200 million is a severe underpay. A $20 million AAV gets you a guy like Justin Upton, Edwin Encarnacion, or (forgive me for bringing him up again) Jose Abreu, not a guy like Manny Machado.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Assuming a horrible pitching staff, how many wins does Machado add? 6?
Old 12-15-2017, 04:03 PM
WSI Guru

Oh boy.
Quote:
.@MLBNetwork's Tom Verducci on potential White Sox/Machado trade: "They'll get in on Machado in the free agent market, so why not have him all year long so he knows about this young core that's coming along around him? Gets familiar with the franchise and the city."
Old 12-15-2017, 04:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Oh boy.
Yeah, this has been the idea. People like to say that's dumb but the White Sox do have a track record with getting guys to sign here when they could go out and get a better offer potentially because ownership takes care of them long term. Look at all the old players they bring back and give roles in the org.

Off the top of my head, Sale, Quintana, Konerko, all took offers with the Sox when they could have made more elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Sure they do...

• Joe DiMaggio.
  • Albert Pujols.
  • Jose Abreu.
"According to baseball-reference.com, 18,852 players have taken the field in a major-league game since 1876. Three have gotten to 25-plus home runs and 100-plus RBI in their first four seasons. That's .016 percent of players."

"Abreu also became just the fifth player in MLB history to hit 100 or more RBI in their first four seasons, joining Dimaggio, Pujols, Al Simmons, and Ted Williams."
Check his similarity scores on Baseball Reference. Heís good, but there are no HOFers there. But there are Reggie Jefferson and Travis Hafner!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-15-2017, 05:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im not saying abreu isnt a good player but to compare him with the Dimaggio, Pujols Williams, Simmons stats isnt right. Both Dimaggio and Pujols started their MLB careers at 21, Williams at 20, Simmons at 22, Abreu started his at 27. He was a veteran already not a raw boned rookie.
So, are the pitches any different whether you're twenty-one of twenty-seven?

To say a player is run of the mill but be in that company is wrong.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-15-2017, 05:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
As nice as all that is, the truth is Abreu got there because he came over in his prime and has stayed healthy. Its a tremendous feat, but if you really believe his talent level is equal to Pujols and DiMaggio, well....
How could you possible arrive at that conclusion by what I posted?