Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Ken the Hawk Harrelson: Fare Thee Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's Hawk day at the ballpark. Hawk is speaking as I type. Thought I'd put this in this thread. Looks like a nice tribute so far.

The White Sox posted the ceremony up at You Tube. I've pasted the link below for those who may have missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zi1_KMX1fQ

Last edited by Wsoxmike59; 09-04-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Correction in post.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Don't forget tomorrow night 9/13 is the Hawk Harrelson documentary on NBCSN Sportchannel. Here's the trailer: https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/video/t...c/c-2481730583
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Watched the Hawk documentary and thought it was very well done. Perhaps that's because I've enjoyed Hawk over the years in the broadcast booth.

I enjoyed the reflections from his fellow broadcasters about there being a Hawk persona and there also being a Ken Harrelson persona.

There also was something surprising that I think can be used in an upcoming Sox Math: Take the number of F-bombs that Jason Benetti drops in a positive description of Hawk multiplied by how many decades Hawk has been in baseball.

As I've mentioned, Benetti is starting to grow on me with each game and hearing him use some salty language (and one of my favorite words) makes me like the man even more.

The only thing that would have made this better was perhaps including a few more clips (Crede's HR vs. Cleveland's David Riske). In all, I thought this was very well done.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post

The only thing that would have made this better was perhaps including a few more clips (Crede's HR vs. Cleveland's David Riske). In all, I thought this was very well done.
I was at the ballpark for Hawk Day and as I mentioned, I waited for that call to be played and it never was. Maybe you have to be Core of the Core to love that moment.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Mod Edit- Read the first post of this thread. Don't do this again.

Last edited by Brian26; 09-16-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Another great Hawk moment that hasn't been mentioned: During Todd Frazier's first season with the Sox, while chasing a foul ball into the stands in Texas, Frazier's face collided with the railing resulting in a pretty nasty laceration to Todd's tongue and some missing teeth. Hawk sized up the situation and told Stone, "you take over Steve, I'm going to check on Todd" -- and went down to the Sox clubhouse (as if Hawk was ready to perform oral surgery if necessary). Hawk returned to the booth about 40 minutes later and gave a full report.

How many other broadcasters would even consider doing that?

277-241.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

The man is genuine, and I appreciate that.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Another great Hawk moment that hasn't been mentioned: During Todd Frazier's first season with the Sox, while chasing a foul ball into the stands in Texas, Frazier's face collided with the railing resulting in a pretty nasty laceration to Todd's tongue and some missing teeth. Hawk sized up the situation and told Stone, "you take over Steve, I'm going to check on Todd" -- and went down to the Sox clubhouse (as if Hawk was ready to perform oral surgery if necessary). Hawk returned to the booth about 40 minutes later and gave a full report.

How many other broadcasters would even consider doing that?
I saw that broadcast live. Couldn't believe it when I heard it, but he obviously loved the guy enough to care about his well-being.

I also saw the Buehrle balk game in Cleveland right before I had to go to a noon class and being as pissed with Joe West as Hawk was. Also, the fact that I got to see the whole thing is a testament to Mark's speedy pace.

So many moments to remember. Can't believe we've nearly reached the end of the line with them.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:49 PM
WSI Personality

Thought the last inning was pretty moving and also thought it was classy for the Cubs to go out and salute Hawk before they left.

I will definitely miss him.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

He Gone

Grab some bench
Old 09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
WSI Personality

Sad to see him go. I loved Hawk and is homerism.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:50 PM
WSI Personality

Today was a very tough day for me. I felt like part of my childhood left me today.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
Today was a very tough day for me. I felt like part of my childhood left me today.
Totally agree. For my entire life Hawk was the voice of White Sox baseball, it just won't be the same...
Old 09-23-2018, 11:25 PM
WSI High Priest

I love Hawk. I am ready for the future but I’ll miss Hawk. I find cubbies fans hatred of The Hawk amusing.

The Sox have transitioned this very well but still weird to think of the Sox without Hawk tomorrow on.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 09-24-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 AM
WSI Regular

Hawk may be finished as a broadcaster, but after taking some time off he'll be back with the White Sox organization in some part time capacity i.e. ambassador etc. attending SoxFest etc. He's been around baseball his whole life and will miss baseball way too much to stay away. It's not like he's 85 or 90 years old.