White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
So, you're basically telling me I need to stop wearing my Sox gear, so that people won't make snide, unprovoked comments to me when I'm out in public.
No, I'd prefer you tell us where that stuff happens, so we can avoid such areas. Sounds like people with not enough important things in their lives.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
If they're doing it in jest, then your reaction is completely unwarranted and over the top.
Yes, this, too.

Someone makes a really silly but absolutely harmless and overdone "Wrong shirt, man" comment and the reaction is "NO! **** YOU! ARRRGGGHHH!"

I again say look inward.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What I don't respect is someone I don't know walking up to me in the grocery store, pointing at the Sox logo on my shirt and telling me that I'm wearing the wrong shirt. **** you, loser, and **** your ****ty-ass Cubs, too.

It's not me. It's them. Stop defending them.

Rather base are they not?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-16-2018, 07:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I'm RIGHT NEXT TO HELL and don't feel the heat. What, there are WORSE places to be a Sox fan than 5 mins. away from Wrigley?

The problem isn't the area or the Cubs fans. Look within!
I'm with with JB98 on this one. This isn't a "me" problem. It's a "THEM" problem. I can handle playful ribbing but many times it is random Cubs fans going out of the way to be a jerk. In fact, just today at my local YMCA, one of the personal trainers sees my Sox workout shirt as I'm heading downstairs to the weight room, grabs my arm and says "Hey, they FINALLY won a game yesterday? HAHAHAHAHA." Keep in mind, I'm wearing my headphones and she makes me take them OFF so she can tell me this. I don't even know this person.

That experience is rather mild compared to others I've had. I could fill up an entire thread with "unpleasant encounters with Cubs fans" that have nothing to do with me being irrational. Heck, I've even had bartenders refuse to put the Sox game on for me when I politely ask. A local bakery blocked my wife on Instagram for daring to nicely ask why they hadn't made any Sox cookies for Opening Day but only Cubs cookies. (We no longer frequent this bakery, lol) One of my friends was verbally abused with profanity at a Subway for wearing a White Sox World Series sweatshirt the week after the Cubs won the World Series. I assure you that "looking inward" isn't going to fix those negative experiences.

Are all Cubs fans like this? Of course not. However, it happens enough to really galvanize some negative feelings in me towards that fanbase. Enough to where I could never in a million years root for them or feel good about them winning. I'm genuinely happy that you have managed to avoid these type of negative experiences, especially where you live. I will say that Lakeview/Wrigleyville is filled to the brim with transplants from other cities and states these days. Half the state of Michigan seems to live on the North Side now. It could very well be that Lakeview Cubs fans are simply a different breed than the ones that have lived in the area a long time and moved out to the suburbs. Perhaps they do a better job of leaving Sox fans alone? I'm just speculating of course but perhaps being in close proximity to Wrigley doesn't mean you live near the worst their fanbase has to offer anymore.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I'm with with JB98 on this one. This isn't a "me" problem. It's a "THEM" problem. I can handle playful ribbing but many times it is random Cubs fans going out of the way to be a jerk. In fact, just today at my local YMCA, one of the personal trainers sees my Sox workout shirt as I'm heading downstairs to the weight room, grabs my arm and says "Hey, they FINALLY won a game yesterday? HAHAHAHAHA." Keep in mind, I'm wearing my headphones and she makes me take them OFF so she can tell me this. I don't even know this person.

That experience is rather mild compared to others I've had. I could fill up an entire thread with "unpleasant encounters with Cubs fans" that have nothing to do with me being irrational. Heck, I've even had bartenders refuse to put the Sox game on for me when I politely ask. A local bakery blocked my wife on Instagram for daring to nicely ask why they hadn't made any Sox cookies for Opening Day but only Cubs cookies. (We no longer frequent this bakery, lol) One of my friends was verbally abused with profanity at a Subway for wearing a White Sox World Series sweatshirt the week after the Cubs won the World Series. I assure you that "looking inward" isn't going to fix those negative experiences.

Are all Cubs fans like this? Of course not. However, it happens enough to really galvanize some negative feelings in me towards that fanbase. Enough to where I could never in a million years root for them or feel good about them winning. I'm genuinely happy that you have managed to avoid these type of negative experiences, especially where you live. I will say that Lakeview/Wrigleyville is filled to the brim with transplants from other cities and states these days. Half the state of Michigan seems to live on the North Side now. It could very well be that Lakeview Cubs fans are simply a different breed than the ones that have lived in the area a long time and moved out to the suburbs. Perhaps they do a better job of leaving Sox fans alone? I'm just speculating of course but perhaps being in close proximity to Wrigley doesn't mean you live near the worst their fanbase has to offer anymore.
Yep. This is not a ďboth sides do itĒ matter. Sox fans are not like cubbies fans, at least not since 2005 and there are less of us.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
And, we can thank White Sox management, too, for failing to provide a product that entices Sox fans to come to games. More Sox fans at games would mean fewer tickets for Cubbie faithful to snap up, but I can't blame any Sox fan who refuses to go to the ballpark and watch this product right now.
They were showing up in big numbers in 2005 telling us "it won't last."

They showed up in big numbers in 2006 telling us to "stop living in the past." I've been telling them that since about 10 minutes after the last out of the 2016 Series (practice what you preach).

Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Lest anyone think I still don't dislike the Cubs, I was rooting hard for Harper in that last round last night. Thanks, Bryce!

Schwarber's 2016 god-like status when his flaws were obvious made him my most-disliked Cub.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

I used to have sympathy for Cub fans, at least a little. They were constantly reminded of their century-plus drought of not winning the World Series. In the 71 years in between World Series appearances, the Cubbies posted 45 losing seasons. Itís hard not to feel bitter about this. So, their anti-social behavior had a logic to it. They had a lot to feel inferior about.

But now they have their cherished World Series championship. They are going to the playoffs for the fourth straight season and probably will go to another Series. The team will return to the playoffs next year, unless something unforeseen happens.

Yet, Cub fans are still bitter. They have to point out their team is better. Yes, we know that. They have to point out that the Sox lost another game. Yes, we know that, too. They seem to take offense when we Sox fans wear team caps, jerseys or shirts. Yet, we are visually assaulted by everything ďW.Ē Shirts, license plates, flags. So what? As they say, itís a free country. People can have all the ďWĒ stuff they want. I look at this as having two choices: Accept things for what they are at the moment or have a stroke.

I hate the rebuild. Really hate it and otherwise have been critical of Sox ownership. But if the winning starts, Iíll enjoy it and wonít feel the need to lash out at Cub fans. Why be bitter when things are working out?

I really think the decades of losing and 1969 and Leon Durham and the Bartman game and the Sammy Sosa corked bats have permanently scarred Cub fans. For them, itís not time for gloating. Itís time for therapy. Lots of it.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I used to have sympathy for Cub fans, at least a little. They were constantly reminded of their century-plus drought of not winning the World Series. In the 71 years in between World Series appearances, the Cubbies posted 45 losing seasons. Itís hard not to feel bitter about this. So, their anti-social behavior had a logic to it. They had a lot to feel inferior about.

But now they have their cherished World Series championship. They are going to the playoffs for the fourth straight season and probably will go to another Series. The team will return to the playoffs next year, unless something unforeseen happens.

Yet, Cub fans are still bitter. They have to point out their team is better. Yes, we know that. They have to point out that the Sox lost another game. Yes, we know that, too. They seem to take offense when we Sox fans wear team caps, jerseys or shirts. Yet, we are visually assaulted by everything ďW.Ē Shirts, license plates, flags. So what? As they say, itís a free country. People can have all the ďWĒ stuff they want. I look at this as having two choices: Accept things for what they are at the moment or have a stroke.

I hate the rebuild. Really hate it and otherwise have been critical of Sox ownership. But if the winning starts, Iíll enjoy it and wonít feel the need to lash out at Cub fans. Why be bitter when things are working out?

I really think the decades of losing and 1969 and Leon Durham and the Bartman game and the Sammy Sosa corked bats have permanently scarred Cub fans. For them, itís not time for gloating. Itís time for therapy. Lots of it.
They were constantly reminded?! They were the ones reminding the entire world! Hell they would go as far as celebrating it and call themselves the lovable losers. All while still feeling superior to everyone else, especially the Sox. They did not deserve any sympathy.

While they will go to the playoffs again - I don't see them going to the Series. They don't have the pitching.

I don't pay any attention to the all the Cubs gear. I proudly wear my Sox gear and love when the occasional comment is made - usually its by a Cub fan who jumped on their bandwagon just a few years ago. It's pretty easy to expose them and they tend to shut up really fast.

I'm glad Schwarber lost, I've grown sick and tired of his "story."
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM
WSI Guru

Well the good news is that it looks Machado isn't heading to the Cubs. CBS Sportsline wrote this morning a deal is basically "done" and it looks like the Dodgers.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Schwarber's 2016 god-like status when his flaws were obvious made him my most-disliked Cub.
No one in that organization, and I mean no one, was even remotely close to Joe Maddon in terms of being unlikeable.

As for undeserved god-like status, Schwarber wasnít even the worst example of that on his own team. The absolute ****show surrounding David Ross was an embarrassment of epic proportions.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
They were showing up in big numbers in 2005 telling us "it won't last."

They showed up in big numbers in 2006 telling us to "stop living in the past." I've been telling them that since about 10 minutes after the last out of the 2016 Series (practice what you preach).
2006? They were saying that literally 5 minutes after the WS win. Funny coming from fans of a team who before 2016, made their entire identity on "the past" and those same fans lapped it up.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
As for undeserved god-like status, Schwarber wasnít even the worst example of that on his own team. The absolute ****show surrounding David Ross was an embarrassment of epic proportions.
OK, but Ross was like a mascot - they treated Schwarber like he was Babe Ruth.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Didnít Levine or someone write a Schwarber article in which he did compare him to Babe Ruth in terms of his power?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Well, he did hit a home run in a playoff game they lost that landed on top of one of the new scoreboards. That ball did not leave the park, but you would have thought Roy Hobbs hit it to win the World Series.
Closed Thread