White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It also leaves huge money on the table.

Standing pat:

Probably about $40 for the 3 arb years, then 5/$100, then free agency at age 28.

Signing that extension:

The same $40 for the 3 arb years, then free agency at age 30.

Why in the world am I settling for 5/$100 (about 60 cents on the dollar) for my maximum earning years from ages 28-32? And why in the world am I compromising my negotiating leverage on my next contract by entering free agency 2 years later?
Yes, if he reaches his potential then he is leaving money on the table. But if he gets hurt or regresses or whatever, he comes out ahead. It's basically a $171 dollar insurance policy, that no matter what happens, he will have more money than he'll know what to do with that will set him and his family up for generations.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Didn't see any mention of this, would be HUGE for Sox if the numbers and term came out anything like this. Imagining Moncada in his prime at $24M/yr and declining salaries after that....

https://twitter.com/HotStoveintel/st...389195778?s=20

Since I can't get the tweet to embed, here's a proposed (rumored?) contract structure for Moncada on a 9-yr extension. Other reports confirm that a deal is likely 8-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStoveIntel
Projected #WhiteSox Moncada Extension- 9Yrs $171M

Player Opt Out after '27

$5M Signing Bonus
'21 ARB-1 (26)- $8M
'22 ARB-2 (27)- $12M
'23 ARB-3 (28)- $18M
'24 FA-1 (29)- $24M
'25 FA-2 (30)- $24M
'26 FA-3 (31)- $22M
'27 FA-4 (32)- $20M

-
'28 FA-5 (33)- $20M
'29 FA-6 (34)- $18M
Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Get that deal done!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Didn't see any mention of this, would be HUGE for Sox if the numbers and term came out anything like this. Imagining Moncada in his prime at $24M/yr and declining salaries after that....

https://twitter.com/HotStoveintel/st...389195778?s=20

Since I can't get the tweet to embed, here's a proposed (rumored?) contract structure for Moncada on a 9-yr extension. Other reports confirm that a deal is likely 8-10 years.
I'm always dubious of news about deals that come from accounts I've never heard of before.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Yes, if he reaches his potential then he is leaving money on the table. But if he gets hurt or regresses or whatever, he comes out ahead. It's basically a $171 dollar insurance policy, that no matter what happens, he will have more money than he'll know what to do with that will set him and his family up for generations.
Yeah, and when you have 3 years in front of you at a league-minimum salary, there is incentive to make that number go up. Moncada will be past that point by the end of this year.

The worst part is not the AAV being low. The worst part is that the security only runs through age 33 or age 34. Getting guarantees for any seasons past the age of 35 is a rare feat nowadays, even for the best players. Usually, those guarantees come only to the premier talents, and they come with full realization that those mid-30s, late-30s years very well may be payroll sinks of epic proportions. They are the price that high-rollers pay to secure those peak late-20s, early-30s years. This contract proposal would be asking Moncada to forfeit most of those years and try to recoup some of it as a mid-30s free agent.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'm always dubious of news about deals that come from accounts I've never heard of before.
Fegan says Moncada is denying talks of contract extensions: https://twitter.com/jrfegan/status/1...296199168?s=21

I'm guessing talks of contract extensions are happening but Yoan was asked not to say anything about it.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Fegan says Moncada is denying talks of contract extensions: https://twitter.com/jrfegan/status/1...296199168?s=21

I'm guessing talks of contract extensions are happening but Yoan was asked not to say anything about it.
The news doesnít really benefit him, either. It benefits nobody.

If nothing gets done, some fans will blame ownership for being cheap. Other fans will blame Moncada for being greedy. Itís best to deny it, if the denial can remain plausible.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

It makes sense for Moncada to not be in talks right now. Moncada got a massive contract when he came over, so he is already insured for life from an injury. There is no reason for him to sign cheap, coming off a huge year. If he has another big year, and takes a step forward, we are in the 200 million range to keep him. He knows that, his agent knows that.

I really hope we keep him, but this isn't going to be a guy who locks up cheap. This is a guy where we deflect the savings from others into.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Yah that account has 2900 followers (which I am guessing is where it has jumped to since that post), follows practically no one, has a lot of opinion posts and some political. This is just a guy trolling.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Zack Burdi and Cody Heuer should be in minor league camp.

Someone should tell Future Sox to stop writing drivel like this about Heuer since he shouldn't even be in the major league camp.
http://futuresox.com/2020/03/02/ment...lief-prospect/
Quote:
In 2019, Heuer posted a combined 2.39 ERA with 65 strikeouts and 15 walks in 42 appearances and 67.2 IP. Heís with the big league club for Spring Training, where he is continuing to use that momentum from last season to put together a very impressive start to Cactus League play.

Quote:
...Heís feeling good, and has hit the upper-90ís consistently this spring, so the White Sox visions of him becoming a back end power arm look to be very accurate thus far.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Someone should tell Future Sox to stop writing drivel like this about Heuer since he shouldn't even be in the major league camp.
http://futuresox.com/2020/03/02/ment...lief-prospect/
Well, looks like thatís settled. Heís the next Mariano Rivera.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Well, looks like that’s settled. He’s the next Mariano Rivera.
You know the fact that others think he's where he belongs doesn't mean they think he's a HOF candidate and the best reliever to ever touch a baseball at present.

There's a lot of middle ground you simply zipped right by.

I realize it's hard when people forcefully disagree with a post you make, but that doesn't mean you have to reach for the nuke when you respond.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

And on that note and hoping for a better start to the next thread we are close enough to 500 so someone start Hot Stove 6 if necessary. I think most of this can be covered in the ST threads available though.
Closed Thread