Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ing-coach.html

Total Sox move here. Rather than bringing in outside expertise and best practices from a top organization like Houston, promote somebody from within the organization. I'm sure the other people interviewed for the role were D'Angelo Jimenez and Herbert Perry.
Menechino, 48, played parts of seven seasons as an infielder with the Athletics and the Blue Jays from 1999 through 2005. He spent the 2019 season as the hitting coach for the White Soxí Triple-A affiliate in Charlotte but has quite a bit of prior coaching experience. Menechino served as the Marlinsí assistant hitting coach from 2014-16 before being promoted to their lead hitting coach in 2017-18. He also spent five years as a hitting coach in the Yankeesí farm system before being added to the Marlinsí big league staff.

Only on WSI could someone whoís been all over the league be derided as some in-house ass-kissing toady. Give it a rest.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
The Sox need to improve their K/BB ratio badly, and "grinding out ABs" will help. To me that means what happens in an AB once you get to 2 strikes. That is certainly an area that needs improvement upon for pretty much every hitter currently. They lack a solid 2 strike approach. As good as Moncada was last year, he had an OPS of .531 with 2 strikes. Just imagine how good he can be if he gets that number anywhere near .650-.700.
To be clear I have no problem with this approach to hitting: none whatsoever. The philosophy is no different than Steverson's. I can only hope that the new HC has different methods and drills he can put to use to obtain better results from the 2020 lineup.
We will see.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-11-2019, 01:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Their definition of “grind,” “grinding,” and “grinder” usually equates to “tiny person who usually hits the ball on the ground.” In other words, players whose time in this game has passed.

They invested a #4 overall pick on a slap hitter. They had a slap hitter leading off for most of the year. They even had a slap hitter hit ****ing cleanup, for crying out loud.

I see a disturbing trend here.
I think you’ll come around to Madrigal. He’s so much more than a slap hitter. He’s a fun batsman to watch with his incredible barrel control, eye and discipline. Nick is a guy every team should want hitting in front of their big boys. He’ll give them a ton of extra pitches to see a season.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I think youíll come around to Madrigal. Heís so much more than a slap hitter. Heís a fun batsman to watch with his incredible barrel control, eye and discipline. Nick is a guy every team should want hitting in front of their big boys. Heíll give them a ton of extra pitches to see a season.
I agree that Madrigal will be a real contributor to the Sox. From what I heard/read, it is not only his bat control but his overall baseball IQ and glove that makes him special.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think youíll come around to Madrigal. Heís so much more than a slap hitter. Heís a fun batsman to watch with his incredible barrel control, eye and discipline. Nick is a guy every team should want hitting in front of their big boys. Heíll give them a ton of extra pitches to see a season.
At #4 overall, youíre hoping for a guy who can develop into a 4+ WAR player. Out of 69 players with an rWAR over 3.5 (letís allow some leeway here), only David Fletcher did so with single-digit home runs.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
At #4 overall, you’re hoping for a guy who can develop into a 4+ WAR player. Out of 69 players with an rWAR over 3.5 (let’s allow some leeway here), only David Fletcher did so with single-digit home runs.
I don’t really care about any of that. He was a guy with rare tools at the dish and defensively. As was mentioned above, his greatest tool may be his mind and the way he thinks the game. He played his way to AAA in a year in the org and got better as the season went on. Hell, he arguably played his way to the bigs but I get why they went the way they did with Mendick first in line as well as service time. Power isn’t everything. You need guys to get on base and work pitchers ahead of your sluggers, and he has the ability be one of the best at that in short time.

Last edited by KRS1; 10-11-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
At #4 overall, you’re hoping for a guy who can develop into a 4+ WAR player. Out of 69 players with an rWAR over 3.5 (let’s allow some leeway here), only David Fletcher did so with single-digit home runs.
Fletcher hit .290 with 40 XBHs, 8 stolen bases, a .350 OBP, and a 9% K rate over 154 games. Madrigal profiles as someone who will better those numbers, particular the batting average, XBHs, and stolen bases.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell

Last edited by asindc; 10-11-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I donít really care about any of that. He was a guy with rare tools at the dish and defensively. As was mentioned above, his greatest tool may be his mind and the way he thinks the game. He played his way to AAA in a year in the org and got better as the season went on. Hell, he arguably played his way to the bigs but I get why they went the way they did with Mendick first in line as well as service time. Power isnít everything. You need guys to get on base and work pitchers ahead of your sluggers, and he has the ability be one of the best at that in short time.
Agree to disagree, I guess. Yolmer + 30 or 40 points of OBP is not worth a #4 pick. Power isnít everything, but it is a part of a balanced breakfast.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Fletcher hit .290 with 40 XBHs, 8 stolen bases, a .350 OBP, and a 9% K rate over 154 games. Madrigal profiles as someone who will better those numbers, particular the batting average, XBHs, and stolen bases.
Disagree about the XBH. Fletcherís .094 ISO is about what I expect from Madrigal. And if Tim Anderson is going to get only 25 or so stolen base attempts per season, I donít see Madrigal getting more than that.

Iím worried about this becoming a repeat of the completely undeserved Leury love fest, where a relatively high batting average fools the incompetent manager into thinking that he actually deserves the most plate appearances on the team instead of the least.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:26 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Total Sox move here. Rather than bringing in outside expertise and best practices from a top organization like Houston, promote somebody from within the organization. I'm sure the other people interviewed for the role were D'Angelo Jimenez and Herbert Perry.

Until yesterday, I had no idea Alex Cintron was Houston's hitting coach. Based on his hitting with the White Sox, I also had no idea that he was the one bringing expertise and best practices to the Houston organization.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Disagree about the XBH. Fletcherís .094 ISO is about what I expect from Madrigal. And if Tim Anderson is going to get only 25 or so stolen base attempts per season, I donít see Madrigal getting more than that.

Iím worried about this becoming a repeat of the completely undeserved Leury love fest, where a relatively high batting average fools the incompetent manager into thinking that he actually deserves the most plate appearances on the team instead of the least.
Does any team bat their best hitter in the lead off spot?
Old 10-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ing-coach.html

He also coached in the Yankees and Marlins systems. But I suppose you will tell us that Reinsdorf also owns those teams.....

Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

You're the one trashing his potential before he's ever had a chance to hit against MLB pitching. You don't want people to defend him, stop attacking him.

And come on, Madrigal = Leury? that's simply a ludicrous comparison before Madrigal has ever hit in the majors.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-11-2019, 06:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You're the one trashing his potential before he's ever had a chance to hit against MLB pitching. You don't want people to defend him, stop attacking him.

And come on, Madrigal = Leury? that's simply a ludicrous comparison before Madrigal has ever hit in the majors.
Not Madrigal = Leury, Madrigal love fest = Leury love fest. Totally different argument.

And I donít remember saying I want anyone to stop doing anything. All I said was I donít know if I agree with all the optimism.

The guy had a sub-.150 ISO with aluminum bats in college. So far, he has a sub-.100 ISO with wood bats in the minors. Identifying that as a potentially significant flaw is not trashing someoneís potential. Itís just stating a fact based on past production.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Agree to disagree, I guess. Yolmer + 30 or 40 points of OBP is not worth a #4 pick. Power isn’t everything, but it is a part of a balanced breakfast.
Leury and Yolmer haven't a minuscule of the talent he has at the dish. Not even close. Those comparisons completely ruin any point you may have. Neither control the zone or bat anything close to Nick.

Too much evaluation is done with paper numbers when it's just a **** way to compare players for the most part.