Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2018, 09:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

1. Continue to develop the young players
  2. Stay healthy!
  3. Play hard
  4. Be a professional - no off field nonsense.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:06 PM
WSI Regular

Default Burger

Ventura came back from a horrible injury, and Jake will do the same. He's a hard working kid with a great attitude.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
At the risk of being accused of being a Pollyanna:

1. Burdiís recovery is coming along, and the success rate after Tommy John surgery is excellent;

2. Rodonís recovery is coming along, and heís admitted that he didnít have much of a routine, and as a result he and trainers are developing a routine for him;

3. If the Sox plan comes to fruition, Adolfo will still get to DH this year, which is where he still needs work as his fielding/throwing was already close to major-league caliber.

4. Even if Burger has a completely ruptured Achillesí tendon, the therapy and training routines he will learn will increase his flexibility and fitness.

I think the only thing you aren't accounting for here is lost time.

That's my concern. It only delays the time these guys can contribute to a White Sox contender.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Fater - my objection is to drafting college relievers, who are projected to be relievers in the pros, in the first 5 or so rounds. Draft starters, and if they can't develop the necessary repertoire of pitches, then they become relievers. (there are a few college relievers who project as starters - like Dunning - that's fine).
Burdi's main selling card was "quick to the majors". I would hope that he would not have been drafted in that spot were the front office still not in its "we're still in it" phase. The 5th and 6th picks last year have pitched solely in relief - already.
I also look for a little more ceiling than reliever with early round picks.
They got Burger under slot (as they should have) but basically gave Sheets the amount saved. Both relievers I mentioned above were over-slot. They financed this, and Skoug, by drafting college seniors in c. rounds 9 and 10 for the 10K bonus, well under-slot. It may turn out to be brilliant - seniors have no leverage, regardless of how good they are. We'll see.
I didn't say those drafts were busts, and I agree it's too early to tell.

Last edited by Tragg; 02-27-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
At the risk of being accused of being a Pollyanna:

1. Burdi’s recovery is coming along, and the success rate after Tommy John surgery is excellent;

2. Rodon’s recovery is coming along, and he’s admitted that he didn’t have much of a routine, and as a result he and trainers are developing a routine for him;

3. If the Sox plan comes to fruition, Adolfo will still get to DH this year, which is where he still needs work as his fielding/throwing was already close to major-league caliber.

4. Even if Burger has a completely ruptured Achilles’ tendon, the therapy and training routines he will learn will increase his flexibility and fitness.
I agree. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I don't see any of these injuries as being catastrophic by any means. There's no reason to think Burdi will have anything but a full recovery and should be ready for the start of next season. Burger's loss hurts, but has a good chance to make a full recovery. He's only 21 and still has plenty of time to develop into a solid MLB player. As far as Rodon's goes, he's a question mark, but we'll find out how he'll recover from the surgery soon enough as he's expected to be back by June.

Adolfo has always been hampered by injuries. So, he might be the biggest question mark of the four. He also is only 21 and still has time to hopefully get consistently healthy. He's got lots of talent and I'd hate to see his career get derailed, but the Sox also have depth in outfield prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think the only thing you aren't accounting for here is lost time.

That's my concern. It only delays the time these guys can contribute to a White Sox contender.
True. Of course, we'd be better off without these delays. But, while these are setbacks, I don't think they're insurmountable ones and I'm not worried yet about injuries messing up the rebuild.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 02-28-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The only thing that concerns me about the Sox right now, since we have no evidence of this since the early 90s, is sustained development and drafting going forward. I still feel they're a bit thin in that area when it comes to Scouting and Player Development Personnel. Too many "Friends of Jerry" around the system IMO. "Friends of Jerry" are no problem if they were actual accomplished baseball people when it comes to their jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Itís a big concern. The rebuild wonít be sustainable and likely wonít work at all without major improvement in the draft. They are still using picks in the first few rounds on college relievers who project to be major league, which is generally not a productive approach.
I don't disagree that the Sox need to do well in drafting in order to have sustained success. We as fans have all gone through the 10 plus years of having almost no draft pick successes that led this franchise into a ditch this decade. But, I'm hopeful that at least Rodon, Hansen, Burger, and Burdi will turn out to be key pieces to a playoff-bound team in a few years. Maybe Collins and Fulmer will live up to their draft status, too.

Let's not forget that the bad guys on the North Side led by Saint Theo had a World Series team that consisted of 4 drafted impact players on the post-season roster. Bryant, Almora, Baez, and Schwarber (who the Sox passed up to select Rodon).
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/w...bs-were-built/
Of the 4, Kris Bryant is no doubt a stud, but he was basically a no-brainer selection by the Cubs when they had the #2 overall pick and the Astros passed him up. To be fair, the Cubs also drafted Ian Happ (who the Sox passed up to select Fulmer) who didn't debut until last season.

One area the Sox need to get better on is signing international amateur talent. We do have Luis Robert as a potentially high-quality talent and i understand that the price of getting him was to keep the Sox essentially out of the running for other top international talent for a couple of years. But, after our bonus money restriction ends, I'd like to see the Sox be successful in acquiring this type of talent.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 PM
WSI Personality

I think this will be an interesting draft. Some of the top position players happen to be preps. Even some of the pitchers.

Chances are, the Sox will have a shot at one of the following three - Gorman, Turang, or De Sedas. Obviously, other names will move up and these three may move down, but will they grab a prep player knowing that he probably won't be ready until maybe '21 or even '22? Seems like some are hoping to contend as early as '19, but that seems a bit overly optimistic to me. '20 is probably more realistic (to the extent any predictions 3 years later can be considered remotely realistic).

Obviously, not all of the talent they've collected will pan out. I will say that I have much more confidence in their young arms than bats. They have enough depth that even if someone can't cut it, there are other viable options. Apart from Jiminez and maybe Robert, none of them are 'can't miss.'