White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2017, 08:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Beer is unique in that he doesn't have a position. I agree. He isn't unathletic, he just is not athletic enough to be an MLB OF, but he is probably an average or better 1b with an outside shot to stick in the corner.

But this is a kid who, depending on the scouting report, is a 50-60 potential contact with 65-70 potential power and 60-70 plate discipline/eye and enough speed to swipe 10 bases.
Dave Kingman found a spot in the outfield. All this and he can't play the OF?

Quote:
Beer did a bad job of expanding his zone during the year last year, clearly frustrated by seeing nothing all year to hit. But his bad year was still a .478 OBP and a .600+ Slugging.

I am not saying you HAVE to pick Beer, but would you draft Miguel Cabrera over Stephen Drew or Tim Beckham?
Beer is no Miguel Cabrera.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-19-2017, 03:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Draft best player available. I'd love Beer, I've been drooling at the possibility of taking him, for what seems like 2 years now. There is no way that he falls to the second round, NO WAY.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 10-19-2017, 03:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
And he was brutal at it...part of the reason he was traded so often.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I'm still against drafting him in the 1st myself for the reasons stated: impact bat or no, I don't think you draft another 1B/DH when there are already two more prospects in the system, but I would be more than happy to snag him if he's still on the board in the 2nd. Where is the Sox's first 2nd round pick? Depending on where they are--and as Dome said, if Beer has a good year--I might change my mind.

Something tells me that pitching should still come first if you draft that high, though...
I disagree with this for the reason that I think especially in MLB you don't draft for position, you ALWAYS go best available. In terms of ceiling and floor, Beer seems to be a stud at the plate with potential to be an offensive superstar. You take that. Then you can always deal from your depth with Burger/Collins (Eloy will play in the OF IMO) if they can't stay at 3B/C.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

Beer is no Miguel Cabrera.
The game has changed. The Red Sox won a WS with Manny in the OF, in Today's game, Manny would likely be forced to DH.

And you have no idea if Beer is Cabrera or Smoak or anyone. All we know is he grades somewhere as a 55-60 hit tool with 60-70 power potential and a 70 eye. His eye might be one of the best to come out of the draft in a while.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
I disagree with this for the reason that I think especially in MLB you don't draft for position, you ALWAYS go best available. In terms of ceiling and floor, Beer seems to be a stud at the plate with potential to be an offensive superstar. You take that. Then you can always deal from your depth with Burger/Collins (Eloy will play in the OF IMO) if they can't stay at 3B/C.
There was some development involved, just imagine if the Dodgers passed on Bellinger because they had Adrian. Would they be headed to the World Series?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
The game has changed. The Red Sox won a WS with Manny in the OF, in Today's game, Manny would likely be forced to DH.

And you have no idea if Beer is Cabrera or Smoak or anyone. All we know is he grades somewhere as a 55-60 hit tool with 60-70 power potential and a 70 eye. His eye might be one of the best to come out of the draft in a while.
I still think in some smaller outfields you can probably put a guy like Beer out in left and hope for the best, but the trend of late is for maximum outfield defense since there are more fly balls being hit now than ever before.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Not that this will shock anyone, but Jimenez is tearing it up in the Dominican. Hitting an obscene .400 plus with a couple of homers.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I still think in some smaller outfields you can probably put a guy like Beer out in left and hope for the best, but the trend of late is for maximum outfield defense since there are more fly balls being hit now than ever before.
From what I've heard- Jimenez projects as a LF (at best) and maybe a DH in the long run- the current White Sox (and historically as well) are stacked with LF/1B/DH types, I really don't want them using a high draft pick for a DH or another "statue" in LF.
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

From the little I saw of Jiminez on MiLB.TV he'll be fine in LF. I don't know why some people are saying DH. He may actually be quite good if they can get him to stop hot dogging catches. He's got a strong arm. He's got below average speed (though not a stiff) so I don't think he'll be filling his shelf with GG's but I saw no reason to shove him off to DH until he's old and/or has injured legs.

But I agree that I am not in favor of drafting Beer in the first round. If he is available in the second then yeah, I'd think about that if his bat is truly as good as they say.

I'd like the Sox to draft more pitching and more infield depth. If Beer can play 1B then perhaps he can be a part of that.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
From the little I saw of Jiminez on MiLB.TV he'll be fine in LF. I don't know why some people are saying DH. He may actually be quite good if they can get him to stop hot dogging catches. He's got a strong arm. He's got below average speed (though not a stiff) so I don't think he'll be filling his shelf with GG's but I saw no reason to shove him off to DH until he's old and/or has injured legs.

But I agree that I am not in favor of drafting Beer in the first round. If he is available in the second then yeah, I'd think about that if his bat is truly as good as they say.

I'd like the Sox to draft more pitching and more infield depth. If Beer can play 1B then perhaps he can be a part of that.
Even then, I am not sure why we would draft him. Where do you a lot him? Dh? We are already coming up on a hour
Of power hitting Dh/ first base types, and I am not sure getting another one will do much unless we don’t feel confident in some of
The hitters we have there now.

Any chance he can learn to play a position?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Any chance he can learn to play a position?
By all accounts I've heard (I've not been able to see Beer with my own eyes, sadly) he'll be a perennial winner of the Iron Glove award. So I'm not too sure you actually *want* him to learn a new position.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 10-24-2017, 09:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
By all accounts I've heard (I've not been able to see Beer with my own eyes, sadly) he'll be a perennial winner of the Iron Glove award. So I'm not too sure you actually *want* him to learn a new position.
I just really don't understand why some people are foaming at the prospect of getting this guy. Seems like a bro-ish love of "big bat go boom boom" ala Schwarber that isn't founded in anything legitimate.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I just really don't understand why some people are foaming at the prospect of getting this guy. Seems like a bro-ish love of "big bat go boom boom" ala Schwarber that isn't founded in anything legitimate.
His bat has been good enough for teams to look past his deficiencies. If he's somehow still around for the Sox 2nd round pick I wouldn't be shocked if they take a hard look at him. He really has the potential to be an impact bat at DH.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
His bat has been good enough for teams to look past his deficiencies. If he's somehow still around for the Sox 2nd round pick I wouldn't be shocked if they take a hard look at him. He really has the potential to be an impact bat at DH.
Right. Second round is a good pick up. I wouldn't mind it then, but an early pick where we are makes no sense.