White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2017, 02:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I am happy with Baines too. One of my favorites of all time and a great right fielder until he hurt his knee.

Baines, IMO, is one of the best hitters not in the HOF.

My point is Baines was a reach at number one.
That's your opinion. I don't believe that. Veeck had been watching him since he was in Little League. Both lived in Maryland.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 08-08-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
3rd player chosen... out of college.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_M...Baseball_draft

I can only assume an attempt to say a college guy should have been picked instead. I'm perfectly happy with the career Baines put in for us.

If you look at that year only 5 of 26 1st round picks were out of college.

No regrets on Baines... the best hitter not in the Hall.

I love Harold, but the best hitter not in the Hall (leaving out the steroid gang) has got to be Pete Rose, no?

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That's your opinion. I don't believe that. Veeck had been watching him since he was in Little league. Both lived in Maryland.
Of course it my opinion. The question is since Veeck was biased how much of his bias was willed upon the scouting department when it came to drafting Baines?

Who was the better offensive player? Baines or Molitor?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I love Harold, but the best hitter not in the Hall (leaving out the steroid gang) has got to be Pete Rose, no?
Best hitter not in the Hall with the exception of someone not allowed in the Hall and those that shouldn't be allowed in the Hall.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Of course it my opinion. The question is since Veeck was biased how much of his bias was willed upon the scouting department when it came to drafting Baines?

Who was the better offensive player? Baines or Molitor?
Even if one buys the argument that Molitor was better that doesn't make Baines a reach any more than the 24 or 25 guys drafted in front of Mike Trout were reaches.

All it means is that Molitor was a highly successful draft choice... just as Harold Baines was a highly successful draft choice. You might prefer one over the other but neither was anywhere in the vicinity of a "reach."
Old 08-08-2017, 11:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Even if one buys the argument that Molitor was better that doesn't make Baines a reach any more than the 24 or 25 guys drafted in front of Mike Trout were reaches.

All it means is that Molitor was a highly successful draft choice... just as Harold Baines was a highly successful draft choice. You might prefer one over the other but neither was anywhere in the vicinity of a "reach."
Exactly. And before Baines hurt his knee I'd say he was a better defensive player than Molitor. The guy could cover ground and had a shotgun for an arm in right.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post

Don't call me Pete.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

Don't call me Pete.
Well played sir.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Don't call me Pete.
Ok, TWO guys not allowed in the Hall and a bunch of guys that shouldn't be....
Old 08-19-2017, 12:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Don't call me Pete.
Harumph!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Heading into September, the Sox battling it out with the Giants for the #2 overall pick. As of the end of the Sox loss to the Twins today, we're better than SF by one percentage point. The Phillies have the worst overall record by 2.5 games.

Before I get flamed for this, I'm not "rooting for losses". I'm merely pointing out where we stand as of now. This season was always meant to be a total tear-down season. Hopefully our final record will translate into a good haul in next June's draft.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 09-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Heading into September, the Sox battling it out with the Giants for the #2 overall pick. As of the end of the Sox loss to the Twins today, we're better than SF by one percentage point. The Phillies have the worst overall record by 2.5 games.

Before I get flame for this, I'm not "rooting for losses". I'm merely pointing out where we stand as of now. This season was always meant to be a total tear-down season. Hopefully our final record will translate into a good haul in next June's draft.
No worse than third in the draft should get the job done from that perspective. From what I can tell reading preliminary draft projections there really isn't anyone heads and tails above the rest. There appear to be several very good players of relatively equal quality at the top of the draft so whether the Sox are first or third shouldn't make all that much difference.

Of course, over the course of the next college/high school season that could change but as of now there appear to be four or five guys that can be mixed or matched.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:33 AM
WSI High Priest

As of today, the Sox have the 3rd worst record. We're 2 games ahead of the Giants. I thought the Phillies had a lock on the #1 pick, but now the Giants are only 1/2 game better than them. By the way, we play the Giants this weekend at home.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/group/overall

Also note that we're only 3.5 games worse than the Tigers and the A's and 4 games worse than the Reds.

White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!

*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016
Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 AM
WSI Prelate

If the Sox play the way they have played since the call ups, we will probably slip to a top 5 pick or top 6.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
If the Sox play the way they have played since the call ups, we will probably slip to a top 5 pick or top 6.

If this happens because of the efforts of Lopez, Giollito, Rodon, Anderson, Abreu, Moncada, and Delmomico then I have no problem drafting 5th next season.

I think it's more important for those guys to succeed at the big level early then gaining 2-3 slots on the amateur draft next season.