White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Seth Beer watch...

The consensus #1 in 2018 had a monster start to 2017. Although Clemson dropped 2 of 3 Beer started out 3 for 7 with 2 home runs, 6 walks and 3 strikeouts. Kid is special.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-f...dictive-stats/

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Sox fans need to take a page from the Sixers and just Trust the Process
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Sox fans need to take a page from the Sixers and just Trust the Process
Yep, there's nothing wrong with losing 90+ games when you're in the middle of rebuilding. I understand the "win as many as you can for pride" mentality, but that really works against you in the long run.

IMO fans in general are really poor at seeing the big picture. Instead they focus on little (sometimes irrelevant) details and what's in front of them at that exact second.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Yep, there's nothing wrong with losing 90+ games when you're in the middle of rebuilding. I understand the "win as many as you can for pride" mentality, but that really works against you in the long run.

IMO fans in general are really poor at seeing the big picture. Instead they focus on little (sometimes irrelevant) details and what's in front of them at that exact second.
If losing 100 games means that we draft a generational talent to pair with our (supposedly) stud prospects on the way to multiple WS titles, then I'll more than happily root against the Sox this year.

82 wins does nothing for me. If we can't have 90+ wins, I'd rather have 90+ losses than be stuck in the middle.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
If losing 100 games means that we draft a generational talent to pair with our (supposedly) stud prospects on the way to multiple WS titles, then I'll more than happily root against the Sox this year.

82 wins does nothing for me. If we can't have 90+ wins, I'd rather have 90+ losses than be stuck in the middle.
Haha, I wouldn't necessarily say "root against", you are just rooting for the greater good.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

How does winning work against you in a rebuild? The goal is to develop talent not to pin hopes on some draft pick or teach in some way that losing is acceptable.

The players have to develop. If those the White Sox received in return for those traded improve to MLB calibre and the White Sox win games that would be great.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
How does winning work against you in a rebuild? The goal is to develop talent not to pin hopes on some draft pick or teach in some way that losing is acceptable.

The players have to develop. If those the White Sox received in return for those traded improve to MLB calibre and the White Sox win games that would be great.
The problem is, you can't keep living in baseball pergatory like we have. 78-83 wins, meaningless year, draft out of the elite talent, worst of both worlds.

The best thing for the Sox is to lose heavily this year. Beer profiles like Kris Bryant, he is that level of good. Do the Cubs win the world series without Bryant?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 PM
WSI Personality

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...sGePQpV2Ekc.97

This article seems to think that Seth wouldn't be the first pick in '17 or '18 due to his position.

I'd like to think the Sox would value bats highest in the upcoming 2 drafts and that they would recognize the opportunity he presents.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Higher draft picks = higher probability of picking generational or all-star talent. Winning 77-82 games leaves you mired in mediocrity if you do not already have a strong talent base in the minors. The Sox have some high end prospects, but the depth is still lacking.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...sGePQpV2Ekc.97

This article seems to think that Seth wouldn't be the first pick in '17 or '18 due to his position.

I'd like to think the Sox would value bats highest in the upcoming 2 drafts and that they would recognize the opportunity he presents.
Fair enough, I get the logic. However, this is a very weak draft for college hitters and it's really risky to take a high school pitcher #1. I'm thinking that this writer might be changing his tune come June.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The problem is, you can't keep living in baseball pergatory like we have. 78-83 wins, meaningless year, draft out of the elite talent, worst of both worlds.

The best thing for the Sox is to lose heavily this year. Beer profiles like Kris Bryant, he is that level of good. Do the Cubs win the world series without Bryant?
Quote:
Fair enough, I get the logic. However, this is a very weak draft for college hitters and it's really risky to take a high school pitcher #1. I'm thinking that this writer might be changing his tune come June.
I am sorry I do not believe the argument presented in the first quote.

The best thing for the Chicago White Sox is to develop their talent and trade current assets for more talent. Stating that drafting Kris Bryant is the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of getting the north side club over the top is ignoring the hundreds of others straws on that camel's back.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

The best thing for the Chicago White Sox is to develop their talent and trade current assets for more talent. Stating that drafting Kris Bryant is the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of getting the north side club over the top is ignoring the hundreds of others straws on that camel's back.
I disagree. Yes, the Cubs are a really good team. But that really good team, that hit at the top end of the draft consistently, that traded well, and did well internationally, was led by the NL MVP, who was picked as a top 2 pick.

I do agree, the Sox need to develop their talent, and keep collecting assets. But A+ assets are >>>>>>>>>>>>> B/B- Assets, and thats generally the difference between picking 1-3 and picking 15 or later.

Swap out the Cubs and the Sox in 2012. The Sox won 85 games, finished 2nd, missed the playoffs. The Cubs won 61 games and had the 2nd worst record. The Sox got Tim Anderson out of the draft, who looks to be promising, but who likely isn't a perennial all-star talent due to his lack of plate patience, but still a GOOD player. The Cubs drafted Bryant, who went on to Win a ROTY, then MVP, then World Series, in his first 2 years.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

That's not what was said at all. The Cubs were able to draft Bryant because they sucked. If they had sucked less they would not have drafted Bryant. Could they have won the World Series without Bryant? Maybe. Who knows. But being able to draft Bryant and develop Bryant certainly helped and the Cubs were able to do that because they sucked at the ML level and were able to draft at the #2 spot in that draft.

Yes, the Sox need to develop their players. However, losing also helps them in the draft as it will increase their draft position which should yield a better return as they should be able to draft higher end talent. Their scouting and drafting have been areas they have improved upon the last few years so if they can lose a few more games while continuing to develop their assets in the minors I don't see what the problem is here.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The best thing for the Chicago White Sox is to develop their talent and trade current assets for more talent.
...which will lead to losing and a higher draft pick in what is considered to be a very deep draft with some possible generational talent. No need to push guys up to the majors in 2017.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

I hope none of these guys see the MLB until May of 2018 at the earliest. This year should be for self evaluation and next spring should be for strategic purposes.