White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I got a question for everyone ranting against this rule change. How much time do you spend watching A-ball baseball?

If the answer is as little as I suspect, then why do you care so much?
If they weren't using Low A Ball as a test to ultimately incorporate this in MLB, then they would never have come up with this idea. I sincerely doubt they are trying this just to speed up Rookie League games.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I definitely agree this isn't something I want to see in the majors, but casual fans probably won't feel that way. Most people don't want to sit through a 5 hour 14-inning game if they can avoid it.

My biggest questions is "who is the runner on second?" Is the leadoff hitter simply "awarded a double" or is it a Designated Runner/10th man like the DH? If it's the former then it kind of takes away their chance to end the game with a homer. Would fans really want to see the most dangerous power hitters in the game with no chance to hit the game ending homer? If it's the former how does it affect usage? Does the runner get eliminated for all future substitutions? If not can the same guy be used in the same role for several innings in a row? Can they later be used as PH or defensive sup? Could they score a run or be retired and then be used as a PH in the same inning? Can the team use a player who got subbed out earlier in the game as the DR?

The logistics are going to be interesting that's for sure...

Edit: This would also dramatically alter relief pitching stats. ERA and inherited runners scoring percentages are going to balloon relative to old metrics.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 02-13-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
If they weren't using Low A Ball as a test to ultimately incorporate this in MLB, then they would never have come up with this idea. I sincerely doubt they are trying this just to speed up Rookie League games.
Agree 100%

This is a test case to see what happens.

Lip
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

I think this is kind of a dumb idea. But then again I thought the designated hitter rule was dumb when it was adopted, hated the Wildcard and hated the Wildcard V2.0 even more. Now? I don't mind the DH and think the wildcards have been great for the game. I guess now I'm willing to keep an open mind and not dismiss things out-of-hand in the name of traditionalism.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's a really stupid idea which coddles to our patience challenged society.

But anything for money right?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-13-2017, 05:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

I just can't fathom why the MLB powers that be think extra inning games are "the problem" when it comes to speeding up games? It's a non sequitur to the entire issue, unless you look at it in the following manner:

ESPN (or any other network, I'm just using ESPN in this example) is showing a baseball game which starts at 7:00 pm, and ESPN also has a Sportscenter scheduled to begin at 10:00 pm after the baseball game. The baseball game goes into extra innings, and runs until 10:35 pm. ESPN then goes to MLB and starts crying that extra inning games are ruining their programming schedules, and Sportscenter sponsors are not at all happy about it. MLB, in order to save its television revenues from ESPN, agrees to float a trial balloon about ending extra inning games in some sort of artificial manner, and ESPN sends out marching orders to their reporters to support the plan.

Baseball is now run by a combine of owners, players and media. The fans are left out in the cold. Baseball's financial structure has now gotten to the point where dollars must be generated at all costs in order to "feed the beast" of player salaries. In order to feed said beast, television revenue is now more important than the integrity of the game.

To the younger posters on these threads, some of us remember a time when the cost of a ticket to a baseball game was equal to the cost of going to a movie, and a nine inning game ran for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. No longer. Costs have gotten out of hand in baseball and owners/players/media are now taking steps toward cutting open the Golden Goose.

Last edited by KingXerxes; 02-13-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
It's a really stupid idea which coddles to our patience challenged society.

But anything for money right?
What's the flip side of that? Dad takes junior to a game on a Wednesday night. Game starts at 7:00. If the game goes to extras Dad has to decide whether to keep junior at the game or take him home. Knowing the game might be over fairly quickly due to the rule change Dad might be more likely to make the kid happy and stick around.

Again, it's not about us as the diehards. We are going to keep going regardless. I don't see anyone in this thread abandoning baseball because of this potential rule change. Might be pissed but after a few years it would just be the way things are and people would have debates about it the way they do the DH now.

Yeah, it's mostly about money but there are other considerations.