White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM
WSI Regular

Default White Sox Prospects of the Month, April 2017

Just thought I'd post this update back here. I lurk on WSI and only post occasionally, but thought people might appreciate the overall look. Here are the White Sox prospects of the first month of 2017, per FutureSox.

Would you have picked anyone differently?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's a pretty accurate list, though putting someone (Roman) at low A ahead of players doing very well at AAA is a bit of a stretch, but for this exercise, that's okay. Roman has a long way to go, and we'll definitely be watching to see if he can continue up the organizational chain and keep a good average.

One player that has done well and not getting too much attention is Tanner Banks. All he does is get guys out.

I saw him last year when Kanny played here in Lexington. I was not blown away by his stuff, but he knows how to pitch and is very effective. I believe his fastball was in the 88-89 range and his curve in the low 80s. What are his long-term prospects? Has he gained any more velocity on his fastball or was the 89 range about correct for him? And if that's it, can he advance much further?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSideSox72 View Post
Just thought I'd post this update back here. I lurk on WSI and only post occasionally, but thought people might appreciate the overall look. Here are the White Sox prospects of the first month of 2017, per FutureSox.

Would you have picked anyone differently?
I think it was pretty cut and dry this month. Pretty hard to argue against Dunning and Roman, although I would have given Spencer Adams honorable mention over Morrison. Hard to give an honorable mention to a guy batting .203, but Keon Barnum did hit 6 home runs and some of them were big. Zach Remillard has quietly had a nice month as well.

Keep up the good work!

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-03-2017, 09:08 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
It's a pretty accurate list, though putting someone (Roman) at low A ahead of players doing very well at AAA is a bit of a stretch, but for this exercise, that's okay. Roman has a long way to go, and we'll definitely be watching to see if he can continue up the organizational chain and keep a good average.

One player that has done well and not getting too much attention is Tanner Banks. All he does is get guys out.

I saw him last year when Kanny played here in Lexington. I was not blown away by his stuff, but he knows how to pitch and is very effective. I believe his fastball was in the 88-89 range and his curve in the low 80s. What are his long-term prospects? Has he gained any more velocity on his fastball or was the 89 range about correct for him? And if that's it, can he advance much further?
This particular award is more about performance than anything, so A-ball versus AAA isn't really a factor. But I see your point.

Funny you ask about Banks, because another writer at FutureSox is publishing a focus piece on him today. That should answer some of your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I think it was pretty cut and dry this month. Pretty hard to argue against Dunning and Roman, although I would have given Spencer Adams honorable mention over Morrison. Hard to give an honorable mention to a guy batting .203, but Keon Barnum did hit 6 home runs and some of them were big. Zach Remillard has quietly had a nice month as well.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks. I hesitate to put relievers on there, but Morrison was just so flatly dominant, it felt weird not to include him.

And I noticed Remillard too, he's sneakily having a nice opening in full season ball. Going to get a look at him in person this weekend.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post

This piece was published today on Future Sox and answered my questions about Tanner Banks.