White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 AM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
James Fegan has reported on Twitter that the Sox are shutting down Cease for the season, as heís already exceeded his career high in innings.

Cease has definitely been a bright spot this year. Hopefully heíll start 2019 in Charlotte and continue dominating.
Gotta say more about Ceaseís season, as ďbright spotĒ is an understatement. His season is probably the best thing thatís happened in the entire organization this year, if only because he started from a lower point than Eloy.

Going into the season, Cease was considered by many to be a future reliever. There were major questions about his stamina, both in-game and season-long (injuries). Heís answered those questions as positively as he could. While heís had some shorter starts, thatís pretty common for guys with his strikeout stuff. As for season-long, not only has he remained injury-free and set a new career high in innings, but he seems to have gotten stronger over the course of the season (ERA in AA below 2). His stuff is clearly top-notch (#4 in Ks this season across all of MiLB), and he seems to have developed the command to go with it.

You donít hear anyone saying anymore that his future is in the bullpen. More are projecting him as a future ace.
  #107  
Old 08-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,272
Default

From yesterday's games:

Zavala 1 for 4 in both games of a DH
Booker 2 for 4, 1 BB
Sheets 2 for 4
Basabe, Rutherford, and Robert 1 for 4
Walker 3 for 6, 1 HR

Fulmer 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K
Tyler Johnson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
  #108  
Old 08-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,632
Default

One other quick take on Eloy: he hasnít homered since 8/13.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #109  
Old 08-27-2018, 12:56 AM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
One other quick take on Eloy: he hasnít homered since 8/13.
That's true. But he's still hanging out ropes and his BA at Charlotte has remained in the .360 range. Even Babe Ruth went a few weeks without homering here and there
  #110  
Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 AM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Gotta say more about Ceaseís season, as ďbright spotĒ is an understatement. His season is probably the best thing thatís happened in the entire organization this year, if only because he started from a lower point than Eloy.

Going into the season, Cease was considered by many to be a future reliever. There were major questions about his stamina, both in-game and season-long (injuries). Heís answered those questions as positively as he could. While heís had some shorter starts, thatís pretty common for guys with his strikeout stuff. As for season-long, not only has he remained injury-free and set a new career high in innings, but he seems to have gotten stronger over the course of the season (ERA in AA below 2). His stuff is clearly top-notch (#4 in Ks this season across all of MiLB), and he seems to have developed the command to go with it.

You donít hear anyone saying anymore that his future is in the bullpen. More are projecting him as a future ace.
Indeed. I was one who had him pegged as a reliever. He was dominant at A+, then went to AA and turned it up a notch. The K-rate is pretty incredible.

There are maybe 3 RHP prospects I would rather have. I think he'll be in the 30-60 range on prospect lists entering next season and could even move into the top 15 by mid-season if he acclimates well to AAA.
  #111  
Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
That's true. But he's still hanging out ropes and his BA at Charlotte has remained in the .360 range. Even Babe Ruth went a few weeks without homering here and there
Yup and his average and OBP have gone up since 8/13 too. His slugging % went down, but probably because he hasn't hit any dingers for a couple of weeks. He's fine.
  #112  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM
CPditka CPditka is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
One other quick take on Eloy: he hasn’t homered since 8/13.

Its part of his protest of not getting called up.

__________________
www.twitter.com/donaldandersen
  #113  
Old 08-27-2018, 09:59 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,281
Default

Eloy was 4 for 4 tonight, all singles, and raised his average to .378.

He needs to go 4 for 4 tomorrow night, all doubles; 4 for 4 the next night, all triples, and 4 for 4 the night after, all homers. I think that would check all the boxes.
  #114  
Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Eloy was 4 for 4 tonight, all singles, and raised his average to .378.

He needs to go 4 for 4 tomorrow night, all doubles; 4 for 4 the next night, all triples, and 4 for 4 the night after, all homers. I think that would check all the boxes.
He's hitting .538 over his last 10 games.

.538
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When youíre going good, youíre not that ****ing good,but when youíre going bad, youíre not that bad. Thatís ****ing Satchel Paige there and thatís wisdom.Ē - Don Cooper, April-2019
  #115  
Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North side, 60618
Posts: 2,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
He's hitting .538 over his last 10 games.

.538
That's a big number. Almost like...

...he deserves a call up?

Nah, let's not get too ahead of ourselves... /s
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
  #116  
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 797
Default

Maybe if he hits .600, that'll check another box.
  #117  
Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 AM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,095
Default

You know, players begin to dislike a franchise when you **** with them like this.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #118  
Old 08-28-2018, 04:11 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
You know, players begin to dislike a franchise when you **** with them like this.

He'll be up this year.
__________________
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
  #119  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
You know, players begin to dislike a franchise when you **** with them like this.

The White Sox are doing nothing different than the other 31 teams are doing. Do you think Vlad Guerrero Jr. is cursing the Blue Jays for not bringing him up yet? Eloy will be fine, a few months in the minors over a long career means nothing.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #120  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Intentionally not promoting any employee who is deserving of said promotion because your organization will greatly benefit financially while said employee will consequently take a financial hit is BS. It's unethical and in any industry, should be illegal.

The rules are the rules, nor is it "unethical". The White Sox should be doing everything in their power to keep the best players in the organization for as long as possible. Players have very little incentive to stay loyal after they hit free agency and jump ship all the time. Why should the White Sox (or any organization) bother letting them leave earlier?
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.