White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 PM
WSI Guru

Default Astros in on Jose?

"Ok Astros fans, don’t overreact to this but..... @wasteph_wes said Peter Gammons said on MLB Network that the Astros are interested in Jose Abreu. He said the White Sox have been scouting the Astros farm system leading many to think a deal is being discussed.

— Adam Abramson (@Adam_Abramson1) June 19, 2018
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Houston’s .693 OPS from the 1B position is downright anemic, and they don’t look likely to run away and hide with the division like they did last year. I think there is a deal to be made here, hopefully one that includes A.J. Reed.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Houston’s .693 OPS from the 1B position is downright anemic, and they don’t look likely to run away and hide with the division like they did last year. I think there is a deal to be made here, hopefully one that includes A.J. Reed.
I'd assume they start the conversation with Alvarez, then move on to asking for Reed when the Astros likely say no. Maybe you can get Paulino as a buy-low throw-in as well, or someone like Alcala who has never been regarded as a top prospect but is performing well at AA and has a really tantalizing arsenal of pitches. Have to believe Abreu's value to the Stros is higher than it would have been in the offseason. The AL looks stacked at the top (4 teams on pace to win 102+ games, plus the Tribe who will be no slouch in October). It's going to be an uphill climb to get back to the WS and they may just be willing to give up some real value.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If Houston's 1b situation is so bad, why don't think give Reed a shot?

Not really a fan of moving Abreu, as I see him being around for our contending teams. If they end up trading him, though I would prefer players who's stock are trending upwards, not buy low scenarios.

Last edited by ChiSoxNationPres; 06-20-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post

Not really a fan of moving Abreu, as I see him being around for our contending teams. If they end up trading him, though I would prefer players who's stock are trending upwards, not buy low scenarios.
If the offer is stout - or if packaging him with a reliever or Shields to a team that also needs/wants such pitching in addition to 1B/DH production - gets a stout offer, then I’ll consider it.

But I’m not going to take a mediocre offer just because it’s out there.

Abreu potentially could be a productive player at the start of our contention window. If that means he’s worth more to the Sox than to any other team in trade, so be it.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
Proven commodity vs. unknown commodity for a win-now team
Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

I want a quality 3B prospect or maybe a quality LHP for Abreu- I think this is a "trade for need" situation, if you move him at all.

Not interested in more (redundant) outfield or pitching depth.

Every rebuilding team needs a stable, veteran leader- I'm sure Avi will be leaving- I like Abreu as the one veteran position player on the roster.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Davidson, Fry, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72
I want a quality 3B prospect or maybe a quality LHP for Abreu- I think this is a "trade for need" situation, if you move him at all.

Not interested in more (redundant) outfield or pitching depth.

Every rebuilding team needs a stable, veteran leader- I'm sure Avi will be leaving- I like Abreu as the one veteran position player on the roster.
There are no such things as “trade for need” or “redundant depth” when dealing with minor leaguers and rookies. They flame out far too often.

If Houston put together a package with Derek Fisher in it, I’m not declining it simply because he plays the outfield. Guys like Derek Fisher and A.J. Reed may be redundant to an Astros organization overflowing with major league talent, but they would represent real value for us. Both of them together, plus maybe a low-level “projectable arm” thrown in for good measure, would be worth more than Abreu’s 2018 and 2019 contributions at the major league level.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

You need more than one. For the reason you mention (and has been discussed previously on this board) Abreu is likely worth more to the Sox than to any other team.

275-237.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Well the good thing about the Stros farm system is that it's still very deep with talented future MLB regulars. Other than the guys who are understandably off limits, The Sox would theoretically have their pick of who headlines based either on who they like most or based on positional need.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
There are no such things as “trade for need” or “redundant depth” when dealing with minor leaguers and rookies. They flame out far too often.

If Houston put together a package with Derek Fisher in it, I’m not declining it simply because he plays the outfield. Guys like Derek Fisher and A.J. Reed may be redundant to an Astros organization overflowing with major league talent, but they would represent real value for us. Both of them together, plus maybe a low-level “projectable arm” thrown in for good measure, would be worth more than Abreu’s 2018 and 2019 contributions at the major league level.
I think at this stage of the rebuild "trade for need" is very relevant when trading a commodity like Abreu- this isn't the amateur draft.

Not sold on Reed- 25 yo, and hitting ,263 in a hitters league like the PCL, not much of a defender- strikes out a ton.

Fisher is a nice player- but I can't get that excited about another OF prospect.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72
I think at this stage of the rebuild "trade for need" is very relevant when trading a commodity like Abreu- this isn't the amateur draft.

Not sold on Reed- 25 yo, and hitting ,263 in a hitters league like the PCL, not much of a defender- strikes out a ton.

Fisher is a nice player- but I can't get that excited about another OF prospect.
1) Striking out in 21% of plate appearances is hardly a “ton” with Reed’s kind of power and on-base ability. He has made some good progress this year making contact, without sacrificing his walks to make it happen. He’s OPSing .920 with a pace to hit 40 home runs.

Yes, it’s a hitter’s league. Yes, it’s his third go-around at the level. But you know who else strikes out in 18% of his plate appearances and plays bad 1B defense? Jose Abreu.

2) Derek Fisher would immediately leapfrog all other outfielders not named Jimenez or Robert on the organizational depth chart.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
If the offer is stout - or if packaging him with a reliever or Shields to a team that also needs/wants such pitching in addition to 1B/DH production - gets a stout offer, then I’ll consider it.

But I’m not going to take a mediocre offer just because it’s out there.

Abreu potentially could be a productive player at the start of our contention window. If that means he’s worth more to the Sox than to any other team in trade, so be it.
Abreu won't be part of a contending Sox team unless he signs an extension with the Sox this year or next year in lieu of hitting the free agent market. I don't think that the possibility that he might sign an under-market extension in the next 1.5 years is worth balking at an offering of decent prospects.

Sox could always try to sign Abreu as a free agent when his time with the Astros expires if they like him that much.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-20-2018, 02:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Abreu is likely worth more to the Sox than to any other team.
I dont know... Springer, Altuve, Correa, Abreu could be deadly. Imagine the numbers Abreu might put up in that lineup and stadium. Not often you get a chance to repeat as WS champions either, Astros might pay a pretty penny.

Last edited by TheVulture; 06-20-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Proven commodity vs. unknown commodity for a win-now team
Well if the proven commodity is a sub .700 ops player, then what's the point of holding back a good young player who is 25 and already been in the bigs?