Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2019, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Add me to the pro-Jason and Stoney crowd. I've liked Benetti from the start and agree that he's getting better. Steve's expertise would be almost impossible to replace so if he's happier without Hawk, so be it. It was time, anyway.

Full disclosure, a crowd shot earlier this season included me so I think the cameramen/director are doing a great job. I'd always assumed that no one notices these things anyway but a neighbor said to me the next day, hey, saw you on TV.

Full Disclosure parte deux: I DVR the games and often start watching a bit late, forwarding through commercials and finishing in real time. So I've been known to skip a SoxMath or two. I don't find these features particularly annoying but I know they're not meant for me anyway, so I just let them be and hope they work. That neighbor I mentioned has two young kids. Neither parent is from around here but they watch the Sox with their kids. Raising them right.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Stone is so annoying these days. Enough of the "Sox fans are going to be seeing this for years" crap. Too much blowing smoke about the idyllic future that awaits and not enough about the actual game going on. Would love to have DJ with Benetti.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
Stone is so annoying these days. Enough of the "Sox fans are going to be seeing this for years" crap. Too much blowing smoke about the idyllic future that awaits and not enough about the actual game going on. Would love to have DJ with Benetti.
Agree that I'd rather hear analysis about the last (or next) pitch etc. -- things Stone really knows about -- than his predictions of hitters' futures. He seems to do this more than he used to.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:49 PM
WSI Regular

Agree that Jason should replace Ed Farmer on radio. Jason is clever, but I find him less than exciting. I would like to see the White Sox bring in A.J. Pierzynski.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think Jason brings out a much better announcer in Stone. Stone's always been smart and insightful but he always seemed to me to be just a guy putting in his time waiting for some big high-paying national job to open up. But that was with Hawk; I think Stone thoroughly disliked the guy.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:39 AM
WSI Personality

100 percent in agreement!

Love the television broadcast. I'm more of a casual fan so I learn while I watch and appreciate that not everything has to be so serious all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
100% disagree. I find Benetti to be a welcome breath of fresh air. He brings out a much better version of Steve Stone, who we're lucky Hawk didn't drive away (or to the nuthouse). I also really enjoy the new broadcast features (SoxMath, Quick Question, One Thing with Ricky). I watch with my kids a lot, and they love that stuff (especially Sox Math). God forbid we engage younger fans with a more engaging broadcast than Hawk sitting in silence for minutes at a time.

I'm an out-of-market fan and as such I've had to watch a lot of other announcers over the years (especially the Rangers and Astros announcers). I'd take Benetti and Stone any day of the week over almost any other announcing team. The only one that I might even consider trading with is the Mets team.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKreevich View Post
Agree that Jason should replace Ed Farmer on radio. Jason is clever, but I find him less than exciting. I would like to see the White Sox bring in A.J. Pierzynski.
Sure; but A.J.'s currently got a better gig with Fox.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Iím fine with Bettini and Stone. I really enjoy listening to Stone and have seen improvement with Bettini. Hopefully heíll stick to whatís going on in the game more and drop all the silly mathematical equations!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

100 percent improvement over previous years. Hopefully something will change on the radio also!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

I liked Hawk and Wimpy, Hawk and DJ was ok, DJ being the weak link. I loved Hawk & Stone but Hawk had to retire. Radio wise I really liked Rooney and Farmer but I understand not offering Rooney the money he asked for. Farmer and DJ are OK, I don't listen to the Sox on the radio much.

So that leads us to Benetti and Stone. I've given Jason Benetti three years and he isn't doing it for me. He's canned schtick just comes off as a fake deep voice and mindless chit chat. He could be a homer, he could be impartial, it doesn't change a thing, just not a fan. He's trying too hard to make memorable "this is a HUGE momentous play in Sox history" call too often plus he doesn't have any real baseball knowledge. I can tell he didn't play baseball and Stoney hasn't played in 40 years.

And I don't understand this idea that the home announcers can't be homers....they are called the home announcers for a reason. The other team has their own announcers. It's different if it's a national game but there is nothing wrong with being upset when a Sox player can't come though in the clutch or be very excited when they do.

If I was the Sox, I would be looking around. Personally I like Brian Anderson who does the Brewers games but no way Jerry opens up the check book or makes a change. The irony is Reinsdorf used to run people out all the time, now he won't fire anyone....ever!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
I liked Hawk and Wimpy, Hawk and DJ was ok, DJ being the weak link. I loved Hawk & Stone but Hawk had to retire. Radio wise I really liked Rooney and Farmer but I understand not offering Rooney the money he asked for. Farmer and DJ are OK, I don't listen to the Sox on the radio much.

So that leads us to Benetti and Stone. I've given Jason Benetti three years and he isn't doing it for me. He's canned schtick just comes off as a fake deep voice and mindless chit chat. He could be a homer, he could be impartial, it doesn't change a thing, just not a fan. He's trying too hard to make memorable "this is a HUGE momentous play in Sox history" call too often plus he doesn't have any real baseball knowledge. I can tell he didn't play baseball and Stoney hasn't played in 40 years.

And I don't understand this idea that the home announcers can't be homers....they are called the home announcers for a reason. The other team has their own announcers. It's different if it's a national game but there is nothing wrong with being upset when a Sox player can't come though in the clutch or be very excited when they do.

If I was the Sox, I would be looking around. Personally I like Brian Anderson who does the Brewers games but no way Jerry opens up the check book or makes a change. The irony is Reinsdorf used to run people out all the time, now he won't fire anyone....ever!
As the man has cerebral palsy, yes, Iím guessing his baseball career was a trifle short. To say his baseball knowledge is lacking is ridiculous. And Stone has been ďin baseballĒ virtually his entire life. Yes, he hasnít played the game in 30+ years, but heís been an announcer basically the entire time since. Like them, donít like them I donít care, but your lack of basic knowledge here is astonishing.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Sure; but A.J.'s currently got a better gig with Fox.
That's just weekends, Benetti can fill in for him then.

AJ and Steve would be piff. Nothing against JB, but he does seem like a nerd who's happy to be hanging with a jock. Keith Hernandes would have eaten him alive by now.

I heard coders are working on VinBot to do Dodger games, maybe someone will invent HarryBot for us. An AI replication of 1970s Harry Carey. Imagine that.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Right. The fact that it's "just weekends" makes it a better gig. Why work 7 days when you can work 2 (and likely get paid more for working only 2)?
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post

AJ and Steve would be piff. Nothing against JB, but he does seem like a nerd who's happy to be hanging with a jock. Keith Hernandes would have eaten him alive by now.

I heard coders are working on VinBot to do Dodger games, maybe someone will invent HarryBot for us. An AI replication of 1970s Harry Carey. Imagine that.
They are? Sounds pretty cool actually. Always thought that someone could put together a sound board of all the Hawk isms and do games for the next decade based on all the games he's done. This for sure could happen for Vin.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Does Bill Melton still do some of the Spring Training MLB.TV streams? Listening to that guy mispronounce Dayan Viciedo's name was torture.