Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Stone and Benetti and White Sox TV Production

Is there anybody else out there who would like to see these two be a little less corny and sophomoric? They give me a headache after a few innings.

"I still get such a bang out of it, playing ball. The same as I did when I first came up. You get out there and the stand are full and everybody's cheering. It's like everybody in the world came to see you."

George Daniel "Buck" Weaver
1890-1956

Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm good with them. As much as I appreciated Hawk's blatant homerism, I like Benetti's more professional approach. I like Stoney, too, but I wish he would interject more often, as I find his analysis to be insightful.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

"old man yells at cloud"

I really like Jason & Stone.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick53 View Post
Is there anybody else out there who would like to see these two be a little less corny and sophomoric? They give me a headache after a few innings.
Yes. They are more interested in trying to be funny (which they are far from) than be broadcasters. Hearing other announcers on MLB.tv makes me jealous of pretty much any other TV team out there in the league. I actually watched the Cubs/Sox series on the Cubs network, which is saying a lot because Len and JD are almost as bad.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Iím just glad itís juvenile silliness as opposed to juvenile petulance.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Yes. They are more interested in trying to be funny (which they are far from) than be broadcasters. Hearing other announcers on MLB.tv makes me jealous of pretty much any other TV team out there in the league. I actually watched the Cubs/Sox series on the Cubs network, which is saying a lot because Len and JD are almost as bad.
Len Kasper is horrible and bland and just as big a homer as Hawk is/was. I'll take Benetti and Stone every day. They have great chemistry and I like their dorky humor.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Benetti >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Late Career Hawk

Its weird though, I find myself thinking he is better than last year but I am enjoying him a little less. I think Benetti would be an awesome team with DJ on the Radio.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Benetti >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Late Career Hawk

Its weird though, I find myself thinking he is better than last year but I am enjoying him a little less. I think Benetti would be an awesome team with DJ on the Radio.
He would be more suited for the radio where there is less room to deviate from what's happening on the field.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick53 View Post
YES!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YES!

Stone always has good input, and when Benetti is talking about the game, he's pretty good. But when they have down time... ***.
WSI Personality

Stone and Benetti are very good. Iíve listened to plenty of other teamsí announcers and our guys are terrific in comparison. I appreciate a little humor interjected, and both of these guys obviously revere the game. Of course, I also liked Hawk, and miss him sometimes.
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Len Kasper is horrible and bland and just as big a homer as Hawk is/was. I'll take Benetti and Stone every day. They have great chemistry and I like their dorky humor.
Len is horrible, but JD is the one that makes them almost unwatchable.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I would have love to hear Hawk's call of the Eloy home run at Wrigley the other night but overall I don't miss him much. I can do without Sox Math and Sticks and Stone segments but overall I'm entertained by Stone and Benetti. Benetti is very good when he focused on calling the game or asking Stone and getting him to elaborate about strategy in certain situations. I'm still amazed by how often Stone is able to predict something that happens immediately afterwards.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Benetti is HORRIBLE. He's immature and has no discipline. He seemingly would rather talk about anything but the game -- even in the late innings of a close one. The guy has no self-awareness. He makes a sllly comment and can't leave it alone, making more silly comments about an inane subject only interesting to him. There's some psychological stuff playing out with him, too. He sure likes making all kinds of comments about people in the crowd. It's like listening to a 10-year-old do the game.

As for Stone, he's along for the ride. He's so glad to be free from Hawk that he's willing to humor Benetti's immaturity. Stone has become a shill, too. Plus he's a phony. I've personally seem him be a mean-spirited jackass to fans when he knew Sox brass wasn't around. There's a reason he actually got booed during SoxFest introductions this year.

There's a couple knowledgeable Sox fans I know who can't stand their announcing either. Unfortunately, I suspect this pairing isn't going anywhere with the team's ratings rise. Of course, the rise is due to the team's performance, but management will falsely credit their new broadcast partnership for part of the improvement. A Major League team in a major market should field a broadcast to match. The Sox really blew a chance when Hawk retired to put together a young, first-class duo in the booth. At least Benetti is young. What was the thinking in keeping Stone? A new smart, energetic young team would've fit the emerging product on the field, and as a bonus it would have been a more attractive alternative to the boring, grandfatherly announcing on the North Side of town.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Benetti is HORRIBLE. He's immature and has no discipline. He seemingly would rather talk about anything but the game -- even in the late innings of a close one. The guy has no self-awareness. He makes a sllly comment and can't leave it alone, making more silly comments about an inane subject only interesting to him. There's some psychological stuff playing out with him, too. He sure likes making all kinds of comments about people in the crowd. It's like listening to a 10-year-old do the game.

As for Stone, he's along for the ride. He's so glad to be free from Hawk that he's willing to humor Benetti's immaturity. Stone has become a shill, too. Plus he's a phony. I've personally seem him be a mean-spirited jackass to fans when he knew Sox brass wasn't around. There's a reason he actually got booed during SoxFest introductions this year.

There's a couple knowledgeable Sox fans I know who can't stand their announcing either. Unfortunately, I suspect this pairing isn't going anywhere with the team's ratings rise. Of course, the rise is due to the team's performance, but management will falsely credit their new broadcast partnership for part of the improvement. A Major League team in a major market should field a broadcast to match. The Sox really blew a chance when Hawk retired to put together a young, first-class duo in the booth. At least Benetti is young. What was the thinking in keeping Stone? A new smart, energetic young team would've fit the emerging product on the field, and as a bonus it would have been a more attractive alternative to the boring, grandfatherly announcing on the North Side of town.
Iím with you. I loathe both of them, but am resigned to the fact that we are stuck with both until new ownership comes along.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:42 PM
WSI High Priest

"We hate Hawk."
"We hate Benetti."