Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Makes me wonder how many here would be blasting this deal if Garland signed elsewhere for, in essence, 3/$30 million after 1 good season with posts such as, "overpaid" and "one good season does not make a career."
Old 12-28-2005, 09:58 PM
WSI Regular

I am pretty happy with the deal. I do believe that Contreas is a goner
Attached Images
File Type: gif White Sox 14.gif (8.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: gif White Sox 15.gif (8.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKilla
Makes me wonder how many here would be blasting this deal if Garland signed elsewhere for, in essence, 3/$30 million after 1 good season with posts such as, "overpaid" and "one good season does not make a career."
And they would be wrong.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:30 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxlover
I am pretty happy with the deal. I do believe that Contreas is a goner
That's what I'm afraid of. I'd much rather sign Contreras long-term than Garland.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

I think Contreras will be back.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 PM
New At WSI

With Buehrle and Garcia in the WBC, Kenny might decide that a 6-man rotation is necissary. Our starters(except McCarthy) each pitched at least 200 innings last season, and they might want to make it a 6-man rotation, stretch things out a bit.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt
I agree with you. I have always felt Jose is at his highest value right now but no one wants him gone. I think a starting staff of Buehrle, Garcia, McCarthy, Vazquez, and Garland would be sick with major youth. They are all relatively young minus Garcia who isn't old by any means. I feel we could add so much with trading Contreras too.
That's because, despite age, contract status and longterm value, Contreras is one of the sox two best pitchers as of right now. He was the one who stepped up the most under pressure, carrying the Sox staff during the teams swoon and pitching brilliantly in the post season. If I had to bet on a Sox to be CY next year, I'd put my money on Contreras. Maybe he's too old to project 3 or 4 years, but as of right now he is just nasty and I'll give him through at least August to prove me wrong. And then we'll have McCarthy, beautiful.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 PM
New At WSI

The only probalem with dealing Contreras is we wouldn't be acquiring any big name players. The Sox don't have the payroll flexibility anymore to acquire a MLB Ready star. If anything they'll trade Contreras for a relief pitcher and a top-tier prospect, which wouldn't be all that bad. I'm just a big supporter of Jose and I don't want to see him leave becuase I believe something clicked last season. Nonetheless, a stud-reliever along with a pitching prospect could do us good right now.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:51 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusacch
I hope you are right but I also thought that the Bears were going to be a dynasty in the 80's.
The Bears of the 80s were being run by Michael McCaskey. Need I say more?

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum
I think Contreras will be back.
I Agree. I don't see JC going anywhere anytime soon. The way he's pitched since the all-star break, I'd hate to see the Sox trade him away and not have the benefit of having him for '06. Remember, this guy earned the 1st game start in each of our playoff series over our ace Buehrle. Unless we think that 2nd half run of his was a fluke, I think it's unlikely that trading Contreras will improve the Sox chances for repeating in 2006.

With 5 starters locked up for 2007, the Sox can afford to stick with Contreras for '06 even without an extension and even if he becomes a free agent. If he helps us win another WS in 2006 and then leaves as a free agent, then so be it. We get a 2nd championship and we still have an outstanding starting 5 for 2007.

It's just like KW said in that interview that's quoted here - unless they get an "overwhelming" offer, they're not looking to trade JC.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

Interesting quote from KW.

Quote:
"I gave both Jon and Jose the same phone call after the [Javier] Vazquez trade was done: 'We love you and we want you back,'" Williams said. "But we have some grand plans here and we're not going to go forward without securing the future of our starting pitching. If you want be part of it, it's wise to cut to the chase and tell us what you want, and if not, we respect that as a personal and business decision. You move on and we'll move down the road to explore our options.

"Jon was the one who responded to that."
KW went on to say that he wants Contreras back and would like McCarthy to get more experience, add on some weight and act as insurance for the other five. This doesn't sound promising though.

Quote:
The Sox and Contreras have sent proposals back and forth for a contract extension but don't appear to be close. Contreras, 34, is believed to want three guaranteed years at between $11 million and $12 million per year, while the White Sox are short on both sides of that.

"We have talked; we have not gotten too far," agent Jaime Torres said Wednesday. "Jose is interested in staying in Chicago, but the market has been set [this winter]. Jose wants to stay, but it's a business, and we have to make sure his next contract is a good one."
$11-$12 million per year over 3 years? No thanks. Also, at some point we're going to have to go cheap with one starting pitcher. I doubt this team will have a $50 million rotation.

Link
Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjav829

$11-$12 million per year over 3 years? No thanks. Also, at some point we're going to have to go cheap with one starting pitcher. I doubt this team will have a $50 million rotation.

Link
Agreed

And while I am the eternal optimist in what the Sox can get for their players in trade, I do think Contreras on a 1 year contract is more attractive than Garland on the one year contract. Contreras, at his best, is a top of the rotation pitcher; Garland really isn't. Maybe a decent reliever and a few prospects.

Last edited by Tragg; 12-28-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 PM
WSI Regular

I'm very encouraged by the JG signing as it shows how strong the Sox commitment is to starting pitching.
From here I hope this means KW will try to keep everyone we stil have, thru at least 2006. I don't want to see anyone else from the '05 team leave. Otherwise, we'll have guys wearing 20 different uniforms at the ring ceremony.
The everyday line up will already be stronger overall with Thome, and if Anderson can't do an adequate job in CF, Mackowiak can.
With 6 starters all capable of pitching complete games, we don't need a real deep pen, but probably need one more releiver.
Also add a true, quality defensive shotstop to the bench, and at that point KW can consider it the 7th day.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Not a bad contract in my opinion. You give Jon 1 year to prove he can do it again for what he's now worth (7 Mil) and if he can indeed do it again or better then he is worth the 10 mil the next season. If not, you trade him to someone who's willing to take a chance. I like this pitching staff going into next season, I hope the Sox stick with the plan. 5 stud pitchers, it would take possibly 3 big injuries to the staff to stop the Sox from winning steadily. Then you have some good offense behind those pitchers theoretically. I'm excited for next season, and contending with the Red Sox new team and whoever else steps up.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree with this next year proving himself. I don't know about Contreras getting 11-12 mil per year. He did have a great run in the second half, but I don't think we have room in the budget. Especially when you have Burls and Garcia up for new contracts soon.