Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
WSI Personality

Good post, SoxFan83, because this payroll reflects the willingness to spend money, yet at the same time (in relative terms) reveals a sane approach to salaries and budgets.

I believe that in an earlier post, someone estimated that the White Sox will average at least 32,000 per game in 06. That is a conservative estimate (and it's always smart to estimate figures on the conservative side). Just from my recent experience of renewing my partial plan, and the seats that were available, as opposed to what is available now (even before single game tickets go on sale - only ticket plans can be bought right now), my guess would be around 35,000 to 36,000 per game, AT THIS POINT.

The point is, the White Sox front office has allowed the payroll to increase because they know from the ticket sales that they will be able to afford it. The cycle of success has allowed the Sox to operate from a position of strength.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:06 PM
WSI Regular

Good move by Kenny. Realistically, the odds are that keeping Garland is a better move than keeping Jose if it comes down to that, even if I personally don't like that. For this year, I ideally would rather have Jose than Garland, but realize with age/money, Garland is probably the better gamble. Who knows, maybe Vasquez will be on the block. When someone says, "overwhelming offer" I think that pretty much says that Jose is gone. Fingernails on a blackboard definately won't be in Charlotte, there's been too much stock put into him by everyone. Plus Ozzie keeps talking about bullpen whenevery Fingernails on a blackboard is mentioned. He'd sooner be traded than in Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan
I have one word to say: Wow. I never expected Garland to sign with the Sox. I'm sure glad he did, but thought he would be traded before the season started. I figured JR would never pay that kind of money for another pitcher, with so much already on the books.

Clearly:
A) JR is still drinking champagne and when KW calls to ask, "Hey, Jerry, can we sign John to a three-year contract for almost $10-million per year," JR says, "Sure. It's only money."
or
B) JR got a whole lot more in revenues from the playoffs and is getting a lot more in revenues from season ticket sales than we ever could imagine.

JR is doing what he did with the Bulls: When he got a champion he put it all back into keeping the team intact. This is also the Sox's chance to win back the city, which is an opportunity that does not come around very often.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
WSI High Priest

It hasn't been mentioned, but I think KW would pull the trigger on Freddy Garcia if the right offer came along. I'm not looking to stir the pot here, but JG is my idea of the foundation of the staff. I'm still convinced some one of the Big Six will be traded.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic
This team is destined to be a dynasty!
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a "dynasty" in baseball. Other than the Yankees machine of '96-'01, the only other team to repeat a World Series win in the last 25 years was the Blue Jays. Hopefully the Sox can do it. Everything on paper looks good so far.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
You don't get two first round picks, you get two sandwich picks, I after the first round and one after the second round.

Mmmmmm 2 Sandwich picks!!!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Makes me wonder what else is up. McCarthy is ready and not well-suited to relief (due to prep issues. He's a starter) Seems to me KW is not the type to let assets gather dust. I predict we'll be hearing from him on another Wednesday soon. If they keep all 6, I wouldn't be surprised if Fingernails on a blackboard starts season in Charlotte.

Of course there is one nightmare scenario for us FOCY, and that's Fingernails on a blackboard beating Vazquez out in the spring. Don't tell me it can't happen. Their stuff is very similar and Fingernails on a blackboard has much larger cojones.
Their stuff is really not similar at all. Vaz throws a 95mph 4-seamer, a 3-6 91-93 2 seamer, 72-78 curve, 80-83 change-up, and an 83-85 slider. Fingernails on a blackboard last year threw a 92(at his very best) 4-seamer, a 2-7 88 mph 2-seamer, a curve at about 75, and a screw/change at 78. Other than the fact that both of their curves are wicked and their changes go left to right how is that similar stuff?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1983
Notes: Success brings payroll increase

"As these players were added to the roster, the White Sox payroll also quietly but steadily escalated. During a conference call announcing Jon Garland's new three-year, $27 million deal, Williams estimated that the 2006 payroll for his team will come in at $95 million. Even with this jump of $20 million from 2005, Williams stated that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf gave him only one edict in regard to the upcoming season.
Reinsdorf wants to win the World Series title once again."

"We must win again and then possibly win again after that to change the culture. Jerry has taken on a huge financial gamble to try to win it again. I'm hoping I'm right or someone will have a lot of answering to do, and that someone will be me."

I LIKE!!!!! I LIKE!!!!!
Wow. I love Kenny Williams!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optipessimism
If the choice was Contreras for 3 years or Vazquez for 3 years, it would be a tough decision to make but I think I'd have to go with Jose.
Vazquez isn't going anywhere. He's been on KW's wishlist for 3 years now, and Ozzie was salivating over the guy in 2004 after he shut us down with the Yankees.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Even with this jump of $20 million from 2005, Williams stated that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf gave him only one edict in regard to the upcoming season.
Everyone is giving props to Kenny for this signing, but maybe the true credit deserves to go to JR for ponying up the money for this. JR has always said if the Sox win and the fans come out, he would spend the money. Now he's making due on his promise.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Notes: Success brings payroll increase

"As these players were added to the roster, the White Sox payroll also quietly but steadily escalated. During a conference call announcing Jon Garland's new three-year, $27 million deal, Williams estimated that the 2006 payroll for his team will come in at $95 million. Even with this jump of $20 million from 2005, Williams stated that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf gave him only one edict in regard to the upcoming season.

"We must win again and then possibly win again after that to change the culture. Jerry has taken on a huge financial gamble to try to win it again. I'm hoping I'm right or someone will have a lot of answering to do, and that someone will be me."

I LIKE!!!!! I LIKE!!!!!
Welcome back Jon, way to go Kenny, IMO start the season with 6 pitchers, and Jerry if you want another ring, I'm not gonna argue!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
Vazquez isn't going anywhere. He's been on KW's wishlist for 3 years now, and Ozzie was salivating over the guy in 2004 after he shut us down with the Yankees.
edit: meant to reply to this post /\

Given the choice, I'd go with Vazquez. I have a lot of faith in this team's coaching staff, and with good reason I think, that they'll get Vazquez to pitch like he's capable in Chicago. Coop does an excellent job, as does Pierzynski, and Vazquez is no longer under the NY microscope nor on a god-awful team. Both of which have been hallmarks of his career. This is the environment where he can really succeed. And he's still pretty young, at least 5 years younger than Contreras (?).
Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow, I didn't see this coming...

We now have Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Vazquez locked up through the '07 season, given that the Sox will exercise their option for Mark after '06. Along with Dye, Paulie and Thome locked up through '07 as well as Pierzynski to comand the pitching staff, I agree with chisoxfanatic in that we could be seeing Chicago's first baseball dynasty!!!

Here's to a great balance of pitching and power for years to come
Old 12-28-2005, 07:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJoeS
Wow, I didn't see this coming...

We now have Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Vazquez locked up through the '07 season, given that the Sox will exercise their option for Mark after '06. Along with Dye, Paulie and Thome locked up through '07 as well as Pierzynski to comand the pitching staff, I agree with chisoxfanatic in that we could be seeing Chicago's first baseball dynasty!!!

Here's to a great balance of pitching and power for years to come
I hope you are right but I also thought that the Bears were going to be a dynasty in the 80's.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusacch
I hope you are right but I also thought that the Bears were going to be a dynasty in the 80's.
In Kenny We Trust!
Old 12-28-2005, 07:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckett21
I'd like to take this opportunity to issue a public apology to Jon Garland.

Honestly I didn't think there was any way he was going to re-up without testing free agency. I was in favor of trading him away for this very reason. He just proved me wrong.

Great signing by KW. I really hope this doesn't mean the end of Jose Contreras's days here in Chicago, but I'm very happy to have Garland in the fold for another 3 years.

Cheers Jon!

Alot of Sox fans owe Garland an apology. Right now, we have 5 starters who have been considered number 1's at one point in the last 3 years. I dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).