GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Putting the barrel of the bat on the baseball is job one. Swinging for the fences and changing your launch angle really lurches the game in the wrong direction. Look at the numbers: poor BA, high K statistics. But what the heck, they hit the ball hard and have a great launch angle.

Since most these days would rather feel the game as opposed to think it, I guess it makes sense. This goes all the way back to the days where the AL introduced the DH.
While I don't agree with the idea that most of the newer stats are useless (I think a lot of people overuse them, but used properly they have some utility), I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded above. It seems that the current philosophy can be summed up as "swing as hard as you can in case you hit it."

I heard on yesterday's game broadcast that if the trend continues, April 2018 will be the first month in MLB history in which there were more total strikeouts than total hits. That is not progress.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell

Last edited by asindc; 04-25-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 AM
WSI Prelate

http://www.espn.com/mlb/war/leaders/...false/count/51

Yoan Moncada is currently 66th in WAR rankings on ESPN and

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...rs=0&sort=21,d

18th according to Fangraphs.

It's early, but the kid is trending all- star in his first full season.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The Orioles are sucking rotten eggs this season big time.

They will trade Machado at the deadline to a team that will sign him to an extension. This is why he won't be available as a FA for the Sox.

He also would probably not want to sign with the Sox because he has made it very clear he wants to play Second, not Short. We can dangle all the money in the world in front of him to "bribe" him into playing Short, but another team will offer the same money to play Second.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:40 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

They will trade Machado at the deadline to a team that will sign him to an extension. This is why he won't be available as a FA for the Sox.

He also would probably not want to sign with the Sox because he has made it very clear he wants to play Second, not Short. We can dangle all the money in the world in front of him to "bribe" him into playing Short, but another team will offer the same money to play Second.
I thought I read where he wanted to play shortstop and not 3rd base? Never heard anything about second. Maybe something has changed recently.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I thought I read where he wanted to play shortstop and not 3rd base? Never heard anything about second. Maybe something has changed recently.
You might be correct. I mis-remembered from last year.

As Roseanne Rosanna Danna said......"never mind."
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

Yeah, he wants to play SS.

He will likely be traded before the deadline, but how can you say he will for sure sign an extension? He has no choice in where he is traded, but has every say in where he will play next season as a FA. Very, very likely he will be a FA come this offseason.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Yeah, he wants to play SS.

He will likely be traded before the deadline, but how can you say he will for sure sign an extension? He has no choice in where he is traded, but has every say in where he will play next season as a FA. Very, very likely he will be a FA come this offseason.
Agreed, and I'm surprised the Orioles didn't move him in the offseason. A full season of Machado has more value than a half-season of Machado, of course, and the prospect haul Baltimore gets might not be as good in July.

I do not believe for one second that he will be a member of the White Sox in 2019.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
Swinging for the fences and changing your launch angle really lurches the game in the wrong direction.
This is an altogether different argument. The game has already been ďlurched.Ē What we like or think is correct is irrelevant. No team want to be the only one that brings a knife to a gunfight, and no team wants to buck current trends and take the risk of being incorrect in their assessment.

It is what it is, and the only thing that will change it is if SABR-inclined teams start losing games to teams that stress traditional strategies.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Putting the barrel of the bat on the baseball is job one. Swinging for the fences and changing your launch angle really lurches the game in the wrong direction. Look at the numbers: poor BA, high K statistics. But what the heck, they hit the ball hard and have a great launch angle.

Since most these days would rather feel the game as opposed to think it, I guess it makes sense. This goes all the way back to the days where the AL introduced the DH.
But thatís a different discussion as to whether the stats tell us anything. You may not like the direction the game is going , but that doesnít mean the stats being used are invalid and additionally exit velocity is not a measure of the speed of the baseball when it leaves the park on a home run but is a measure of the speed of the baseball as it comes off the barrel of the bat. Itís measured automatically every time a hitter makes contact.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
But thatís a different discussion as to whether the stats tell us anything. You may not like the direction the game is going , but that doesnít mean the stats being used are invalid and additionally exit velocity is not a measure of the speed of the baseball when it leaves the park on a home run but is a measure of the speed of the baseball as it comes off the barrel of the bat. Itís measured automatically every time a hitter makes contact.
Well said. Whether one is happy about the direction the game has taken in the last few years is not a factor into whether statistics measuring performance are valid or not. For example, I can really dislike the fact that launch angle and exit velocity have played a role in turning the game into three true outcomes (by the way, saw a stat that said that chances in CF have gone down 27% in the last 10 years - that's nuts), but that doesn't mean those are not valid measurements.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

In addition, Launch angle has to do with the angle the ball comes off the bat. Higher launch angles result in more hits and the angle has increased over the last several years.

It seems combined that exit velocity and launch angle are statistical measures of how often a player "barrels the baseball" or "connects on the sweet spot" as used to be the preferred term. They've just finally broken down what used to be an eye test into some stats that teams can use.