Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:22 PM
WSI Personality

Sosa* only uses it in BP, Exhibitions, HR Derbys...regular season games He'd use them in important games and playoff games, but there are none since hes on the Cubs...
Old 06-03-2003, 11:27 PM
WSI Regular

What kind of idiot uses a loaded bat to warm up in BP!
Maybe the same person who has not been able to hit the ball the the last month. Nice job Sosa*!!! Thanks for giving me a bright spot in a other wise dark spring.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by arneharris
I wasn't apologizing for the guy....I said he was an ASS.....

Not just for doing that, but for ****in' the team like over...
Thanks for taking my question out of context. I said that if MLB finds more illegal bats what will you say? Will you still try to spin a defense for using an illegal bat?

BTW I just heard Sosa's statement again, Sosa said that he never uses illegal bats.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by CellBlockInmate
What kind of idiot uses a loaded bat to warm up in BP!
Maybe the same person who has not been able to hit the ball the the last month. Nice job Sosa*!!! Thanks for giving me a bright spot in a other wise dark spring.
SamME uses illegal bats, but it's for the fans, not for further glorification.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

My new favorite quote is from some guy from Outside the Lines on ESPN. He said

"yes there was a mistake, the bat broke."

That is the best way to put it. If there is a corked bat you make sure that you know its corked so you dont "accidentally" grab it. I bet he knew for certain he was using that bat, he just didn't think it would break like that.

Oh btw, did that guy who broke his bat and the superballs popped out get suspended? and for how long if he did?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Why do I fear that the media, the Sammy Sosa* Ass Licking Society, is going to fall for his "BP" claims hook, line, and sinker? You know at least half of them will buy Sosa's* story.

NOW SUPPOSE FRANK THOMAS GOT CAUGHT WITH A CORKED BAT AND THOMAS MADE THE SAME CLAIM SOSA* IS MAKING. Think the media would react the same way? No, I didn't think so.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Score caller just claimed that Sosa does his BP in the inside cages and not outside. I don't know if this is true, but wouldn't it throw out the "BP for the fans" theory?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Jay Hood was wondering aloud if the Grubs even allow fans to watch bp--anybody out there know the scoop?

"Maybe I should have stuck with the big purple dinosaur...."
Old 06-03-2003, 11:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Jay Hood was wondering aloud if the Grubs even allow fans to watch bp--anybody out there know the scoop?

"Maybe I should have stuck with the big purple dinosaur...."
The gates at Wrigley open two hours prior to game time meaning fans can watch the Cubs take BP.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:54 PM
WSI Guru

If Sosa uses this bat (just this one bat) in BP, don't you think he recognizes it by feel. I'm assuming it's lighter. There's no way in hell he didn't know that bat was corked. Dave Otto pointed out on FSN that there was a "c" written on the top of the bat.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:55 PM
WSI Regular

We may suck.

But at least we're not CHEATERS.

"McGriff must've left that here."
Old 06-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Banned

Location: Gambling, fireworks, lifetime gun permits, cheap smokes, snipers, it's Indiana!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian26
Dave Otto pointed out on FSN that there was a "c" written on the top of the bat.
You've got to be crappin' me. I was in a bar, sound was turned down. Now I wish I would've stayed here and laughed with all of you.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Official Professor

MLB seized all of his bats. I'm certain that they'll not find cork in any of the rest of them, and all the Sammy apologists will say this proves it was an "innocent, mental mistake" as Sammy is right now characterizing it on SportsCenter.

My read is that he has one corked bat in the dugout, to use in RBI situations like the one tonight. I'd be amazed if he had several.

Hey TornLabrum. I'm impressed by your physics lesson. Sammy should have used so that the broken bat would have covered itself up.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-04-2003, 12:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Whether it was a mistake or not the fact is that Sammy used an illegal bat in a game. How many times has Sammy mistakenly used an illegal bat in games?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:10 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Okay, here is the theory at least:

There are two reasons a corked bat should increase the kinetic energy transferred from bat to ball. First of all the lighter the bat, presumably the greater the bat speed, and the KE of the bat is, therefore increased as the square of the velocity difference. (This is why lighter bats are used in the first place nowadays. The kinetic energy formula is KE = 0.5mv^2. If you double the mass of the bat you double the KE, but if you double the velocity, you quadruple the KE.) So you should by lightening the bat with a little cork get a slight increase in velocity. This is the lesser of the two effects.

Second, there is a greater transfer of momentum of the ball when there is more bounce. What you are doing here is increasing the impulse time, the time in which the bat and ball are in contact. This leads to a greater change in momentum. The equation for this is Ft = <delta>(mv), that it the force of impact times the time of contact equals the change in momentum. For a given force of contact between bat and ball, if you increase the time of contact, the ball comes off the bat harder, i.e. a greater change in momentum.

About 15-20 years ago players were loading their bats with superballs to achieve this effect.
Ahhh! I'm having flashbacks to 1992, Minooka High! Only Hal was teaching me electron configurations in chemistry class at the time (which has paid dividends, I might add).

Nice to hear another of your lectures again. you just don't hear this kind of analysis from booby valentine or gammons.
Closed Thread