Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 12:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Serious question: why do you trust spin rate more than actual track record? He has never had good control or a low HR rate for the Sox in any significant sample, at any level. Fulmer has a career WHIP over 1.5 in the minors.
Stuff like his low barrelled ball rate and spray chart showing ground balls and scattered hits rather than hard hit balls, to go along with the stuff, are why I have hope.
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...r-pitching-mlb

There's a lot of cool info on there for anyone who doesnt already know of it. I consider stuff like this and brooks baseball to be like a purists versions of sabre.

Last edited by KRS1; 12-03-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Stuff like his low barrelled ball rate and spray chart showing ground balls and scattered hits rather than hard hit balls, to go along with the stuff, are why I have hope.
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...r-pitching-mlb

There's a lot of cool info on there for anyone whondoesnt already know of it. I consider stuff like this and brooks baseball to be like a purists versions of sabre.
So far in the majors, he has given up 1.8 HR per nine innings.

Heaven help him if the hitters start barreling those balls.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
So far in the majors, he has given up 1.8 HR per nine innings.

Heaven help him if the hitters start barreling those balls.
It's all.part of the main problem with him - command. He gets behind hitters and becomes predictable. Fastball counts kill him when he can't locate his secondary stuff. Like I said, it's just spots to find hope - which is okay sometimes.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
It's all.part of the main problem with him - command. He gets behind hitters and becomes predictable. Fastball counts kill him when he can't locate his secondary stuff. Like I said, it's just spots to find hope - which is okay sometimes.
How long do you wait for the metrics to take?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-03-2019, 06:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
How long do you wait for the metrics to take?
For someone with the pedigree and stuff of Fulmer, I would think the time runs out when:

Heís out of options

The Sox canít afford to carry a project in their bullpen because winning now trumps development

They try to outright him to AAA, and he refuses and becomes a free agent.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Fulmer would do well to abandon his cutter. Opposing hitters feast on that pitch.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Serious question: why do you trust spin rate more than actual track record? He has never had good control or a low HR rate for the Sox in any significant sample, at any level. Fulmer has a career WHIP over 1.5 in the minors.
Spin rate shows potential - prospect worth keeping. That's all
I also hope he can find the coach that helped him put it together in college...although one reason I wasn't excited about drafting him when we did is that in the film I watched, the college hitters were swinging at his junk in the dirt, which pro players won't bit on.
And the question about why keep him is more properly directed toward Madeiros, imo

Last edited by Tragg; 12-03-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:50 PM
WSI Prelate

The problem I have with Fulmer is he doesnít know where the ball is going, ever. Watch the catcher when he pitches and see how often the mitt moves significantly. I love analytics but that is one eye test you just canít forget
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I see where Cole Hamels has said that the White Sox have contacted his agent and he is very interested. If the Sox are lucky enough to land Wheeler and Hamels that would be quite a accomplishment.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:34 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Coles Hamels a 36 year old pitcher that probably wont eat up 150 innings. No love from me on that one.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Coles Hamels a 36 year old pitcher that probably wont eat up 150 innings. No love from me on that one.

Not to mention that injuries have made him entirely ineffective. Stay far away.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
He's still a quality pitcher for sure, especially as the second pitcher acquired to a Wheeler for the Sox. He started 27 games last year in the NL where you get pulled earlier due to being pinch hit for. The year before 32 starts and 190 innings. He definitely can still get you 180 I would think .
Old 12-03-2019, 03:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Not to mention that injuries have made him entirely ineffective. Stay far away.
If you listen to the podcast Hamels was just on with Chuck Garfien when they breakdown last year for him, you would not say he's "entirely ineffective". Even only looking at his ERA for the whole year at 3.81 dismisses your claim.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
He's still a quality pitcher for sure, especially as the second pitcher acquired to a Wheeler for the Sox. He started 27 games last year in the NL where you get pulled earlier due to being pinch hit for. The year before 32 starts and 190 innings. He definitely can still get you 180 I would think .

He cannot. He struggled the second time through a lineup, and never got to see guys a third time. He's doesn't have the stuff for that anymore. There were a lot of outings that saved his ERA where he didn't even go 5. That's not because he's in the NL. It's because he's not effective the second time around.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He cannot. He struggled the second time through a lineup, and never got to see guys a third time. He's doesn't have the stuff for that anymore. There were a lot of outings that saved his ERA where he didn't even go 5. That's not because he's in the NL. It's because he's not effective the second time around.
Throws 93-94 with a plus changeup. His ERA was under 3 in the first half before an oblique injury, came back prematurely and wasn't as effective.
Closed Thread