White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:16 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Default

Travis Shaw was just non tendered by MIL. Had an awful 2019 season but the previous 2 seasons were pretty good with an OPS of .862 and then .825. He's a lefty bat with 30 homer power and can take walks, which would be a solid fit for the Sox. He plays 3b, 2b and 1b and can certainly DH. If he's only going to cost around $4mil, he might be a decent bench guy and hope he bounces back at age 30. Sox are going to need a 2b to start the season likely, plus Moncada goes on the DL a bit so backup 3b is needed. Also with the new reliever rules in effect, having a big lefty power bat on the bench to get guaranteed ABs late in the game vs righties could be huge. His splits vs righties in '17-18 are close to .900 OPS. Worth kicking the tires on maybe.
  #77  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Travis Shaw was just non tendered by MIL. Had an awful 2019 season but the previous 2 seasons were pretty good with an OPS of .862 and then .825. He's a lefty bat with 30 homer power and can take walks, which would be a solid fit for the Sox. He plays 3b, 2b and 1b and can certainly DH. If he's only going to cost around $4mil, he might be a decent bench guy and hope he bounces back at age 30. Sox are going to need a 2b to start the season likely, plus Moncada goes on the DL a bit so backup 3b is needed. Also with the new reliever rules in effect, having a big lefty power bat on the bench to get guaranteed ABs late in the game vs righties could be huge. His splits vs righties in '17-18 are close to .900 OPS. Worth kicking the tires on maybe.

Definitely would be a good move. The number of useful lefties on the market is diminishing.
  #78  
Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Travis Shaw was just non tendered by MIL. Had an awful 2019 season but the previous 2 seasons were pretty good with an OPS of .862 and then .825. He's a lefty bat with 30 homer power and can take walks, which would be a solid fit for the Sox. He plays 3b, 2b and 1b and can certainly DH. If he's only going to cost around $4mil, he might be a decent bench guy and hope he bounces back at age 30. Sox are going to need a 2b to start the season likely, plus Moncada goes on the DL a bit so backup 3b is needed. Also with the new reliever rules in effect, having a big lefty power bat on the bench to get guaranteed ABs late in the game vs righties could be huge. His splits vs righties in '17-18 are close to .900 OPS. Worth kicking the tires on maybe.
Sounds intriguing, but what happened in 2019? He slashed .157/.281/.270.
  #79  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Sounds intriguing, but what happened in 2019? He slashed .157/.281/.270.
Wrist and hand injury on the same side. Heís a great bounce back candidate.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
  #80  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:16 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Travis Shaw was just non tendered by MIL. Had an awful 2019 season but the previous 2 seasons were pretty good with an OPS of .862 and then .825. He's a lefty bat with 30 homer power and can take walks, which would be a solid fit for the Sox. He plays 3b, 2b and 1b and can certainly DH. If he's only going to cost around $4mil, he might be a decent bench guy and hope he bounces back at age 30. Sox are going to need a 2b to start the season likely, plus Moncada goes on the DL a bit so backup 3b is needed. Also with the new reliever rules in effect, having a big lefty power bat on the bench to get guaranteed ABs late in the game vs righties could be huge. His splits vs righties in '17-18 are close to .900 OPS. Worth kicking the tires on maybe.
Shaw would be a great bench upgrade, even at Yolmer’s salary slot. If he plays himself back into a starting role then we have a trade chip.

I will take issue with the idea that we need a 2B to start the season. Leury and Mendick can play 2B for a quarter of the season. We might need a starting 2B if Madrigal isn’t ready to take over, but that’s a different problem.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 12-02-2019 at 11:24 PM.
  #81  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:31 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Shaw would be a great bench upgrade, even at Yolmerís salary slot. If he plays himself back into a starting role then we have a trade chip.

I will take issue with the idea that we need a 2B to start the season. Leury and Mendick can play 2B for a quarter of the season. We might need a starting 2B if Madrigal isnít ready to take over, but thatís a different problem.
Handing a spot to a couple kids may be what this team needs to do right off the bat. Iím sure thereís some legitimate reasons why Robert and Madrigal should start in Charlotte, but if they show life in ST they need to let them both start.
  #82  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:36 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Shaw would be a great bench upgrade, even at Yolmerís salary slot. If he plays himself back into a starting role then we have a trade chip.

I will take issue with the idea that we need a 2B to start the season. Leury and Mendick can play 2B for a quarter of the season. We might need a starting 2B if Madrigal isnít ready to take over, but thatís a different problem.
Those guys can play 2b, but would rather have the upside of Shaw if he's on the team. Also think that Leury will be starting in CF over Engel until Robert is up.
  #83  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:40 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Those guys can play 2b, but would rather have the upside of Shaw if he's on the team. Also think that Leury will be starting in CF over Engel until Robert is up.
Thatís different from needing a 2B.

Shaw is basically a better Moustakas at a discounted price.
  #84  
Old 12-03-2019, 12:18 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Thatís different from needing a 2B.

Shaw is basically a better Moustakas at a discounted price.
You mean a far worse Moustakas?
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #85  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Handing a spot to a couple kids may be what this team needs to do right off the bat. Iím sure thereís some legitimate reasons why Robert and Madrigal should start in Charlotte, but if they show life in ST they need to let them both start.
No reason to kill an entire year just to have a better 2 weeks in April.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #86  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:05 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You mean a far worse Moustakas?
Only worse last year, due to injury. Shaw has the higher career OPS+ and is a better player. Shaw's also younger.
  #87  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Thatís different from needing a 2B.

Shaw is basically a better Moustakas at a discounted price.
Right, I mean they do have players who can fill the spot. However if the Sox are trying to win next year, they can't have 2 starting spots manned by average at best bench guys for 2 weeks - a month and expect to win the central.

Shaw was maybe better entering last year, but at this point can't possibly consider him better than Moustakas after that bad year, injured or not.
  #88  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 AM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Thatís different from needing a 2B.

Shaw is basically a better Moustakas at a discounted price.
If the version of Shaw we would get is the 2017-18 version, sign me up. Hopefully the Sox scouts can make the right call on whether last year was just an off year due to injury or whether there's something more going on that will hurt him going forward.

Ever since the Moustakas discussion a couple weeks ago, I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in a stronger bat at 2B. It would let the team bring Madrigal around more slowly and be less reliant on him hitting the ground running from day one, which would be a good thing.

Mahoney also brought up the idea of Madrigal getting some time at other positions (SS, 3B, OF), and I think a bunch of people rolled their eyes and thought it was typical Mahoney being down on Madrigal and thinking he should be a utility IF. But if Madrigal is able to turn into a Zobrist-type player, that would be huge, and he seems like he has a really good skill set for that role. It shouldn't be considered an insult to Madrigal if he ends up moving around the diamond a bit, as long as he's still playing nearly every day.
  #89  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 7,227
Default

Are either Shaw or Moustakas close to average defensively at second base? Apparently the Reds think so (or don't care) when it comes to Moustakas. Second base is a pretty important defensive position. I'd prefer to have someone play the position competently (e.g. Mendick or Yolmer if he's willing to take a pay cut) until Madrigal is promoted -- even if it means sacrificing some offense.
__________________

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
  #90  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
No reason to kill an entire year just to have a better 2 weeks in April.

Except what will ultimately happen is we're only going to get 5 years and part of a 6th.

Regardless of what happens with Bryant, Rodon, et al...the number one, non-starter issue for MLBPA is service time manipulation. The new contract is going to award a year if the player comes up at any point in a season, and it's going to retro-cover any players who come up now. The player's association has been very clear about this, and if not getting it means no baseball for years, they will sit years and wait to get this rectified.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.