White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Regardless of the design, if this latest (and last) attempt falls through, I expect the Rays to land in either Charlotte or Montreal within five years.
Considering BB&T Ballpark was just opened in 2014 - I cannot imagine a pro team getting in that town.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Man, these baseball parks in Florida just get weirder and weirder.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 07-13-2018, 05:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I absolutely despise fixed roof ballparks and artificial grass. Hope the plan falls through.
Agreed. I was hoping we'd eventually see the last of artificial turf in MLB. To me, seeing that fake surface for a baseball game is a huge eyesore.

Every other franchise in a hot weather climate has been built or will build a ballpark with a retractable roof and natural grass. Too bad the Rays feel that it doesn't make sense for them.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:12 AM
WSI High Priest

If the Tampa area wants to keep the Rays, they'll have to do something to their location. I feel the closer they get to the ease deadline then the more likely they are to go.

You will not find a design making all fans happy. In this case, about anything is better than the TROP. For those mentioning the Red Sox and Yankees, those were harder to get tickets to than ALDS and ALCS games. If you can't sell out playoff games, you have issues.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Any open air ballpark in Tampa would need a great drainage system. Even with evening start times, the heavy thunderstorms that pop up and roll through on a regular basis during the summer afternoons, primarily July and August, dump a lot of rain so any retractable roof would need to be timed well enough to let enough sun in for natural grass to grow, while also preventing the field from being drenched. I think the Rays learned from the Marlins challenges growing natural grass in their ballpark that has the roof closed most of the time.

Pro Turf is better than the old crappy astroturf, however I agree it would be nice to have natural grass in all MLB ballparks.

The Bears however, could probably use some good Pro Turf at Soldier Field instead of the painted green dirt/grass mixture they try to play on in November and December.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:55 AM
WSI Regular

A movable roof is very, very expensive.

Sternberg’s first quote: “A year round facility”. Roll up the turf, non-stop motorsports.

The highlight is the capacity. It’s the future of baseball stadia: fewer seats but closer. The days of 40,000 x 81 dates are gone, except NYY, BOS, LAD and The Urinal.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Terrible idea. Fixed roofs were an experiment that failed. The Astros got the hell outta their dome. Rays can't leave one for another.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:34 PM
WSI Personality

No matter what you think of the design, the location is spectacular. If you've never been to Ybor City, it's the main nightlife of Tampa, and always hopping. It has a French Quarter appeal to it, and is loaded with bars and restaurants. Think of Wrigleyville - without the stench.

This new stadium would be just a couple of blocks off of Ybor's main drag. The site alone could generate a 20-30% increase in attendance. The Trop is located near downtown St. Pete, which is a haul for most people living in the Tampa Bay area. Ybor is much more centrally located, and nearby are where the Lightning and Bucs play.

As for the design, I too prefer a retractable roof - but Florida isn't Arizona or Texas either. It's rains a lot more, and grass is very difficult to maintain. For a baseball team, the roof would be closed most of the season anyways so this is the next best option. I do like the open feel of the design, and the seating capacity makes sense.

All comes down to financing...
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
No matter what you think of the design, the location is spectacular. If you've never been to Ybor City, it's the main nightlife of Tampa, and always hopping. It has a French Quarter appeal to it, and is loaded with bars and restaurants. Think of Wrigleyville - without the stench.

This new stadium would be just a couple of blocks off of Ybor's main drag. The site alone could generate a 20-30% increase in attendance. The Trop is located near downtown St. Pete, which is a haul for most people living in the Tampa Bay area. Ybor is much more centrally located, and nearby are where the Lightning and Bucs play.

As for the design, I too prefer a retractable roof - but Florida isn't Arizona or Texas either. It's rains a lot more, and grass is very difficult to maintain. For a baseball team, the roof would be closed most of the season anyways so this is the next best option. I do like the open feel of the design, and the seating capacity makes sense.

All comes down to financing...
Yeah. It's a perfect location, and needs to happen for the Rays to stay long-term. I'm hoping it gets done.

Also, prelim renderings rarely reflect the completed ballpark so I'm sure they're aware of limitations, and may adapt a bit in construction.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

The St. Pete location has proved to be a mistake. For the fans in the East counties, they literally have to drive around the bay to get to a game. Most people who currently like the Trop and the St. Pete location are the local retirees who enjoy the convenience factor and the AC, but this demographic can't support the team in the long run, both financially and from an attendance factor.

There's even local talk that the move would be good for St. Pete as they can redevelop the area and make more money than what they get from the Rays. I think they've given up on the pride factor and forcing the Rays to stay in Pinellas county.

As mentioned, I also wanted a natural turf, retro-brick type ballpark, however the current design is pretty cool if the roof is indeed transparent, similar to an atrium, and they do indeed open the sliding glass doors behind the outfield and home plate, I think that would be a pretty cool experience, similar to SafeCo with the natural air current regardless if the roof is open or closed.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Has to be an indoor stadium in Florida in the summer.
Miami and their retractable roof and real grass beg to differ. What about the Early April and Late September games? Isn't it quite nice there at that time?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
Miami and their retractable roof and real grass beg to differ. What about the Early April and Late September games? Isn't it quite nice there at that time?
Miami is having a difficult time maintaining their natural turf field primarily because they don't open the roof enough. They have also planted new turf that supposedly grows better in shaded areas as well as installed grow lighting in the outfield, but they still are battling dead spots and other turf issues.

I think Miami could fix their park by opening the roof more often, however it comes at a large cost and the owner simply would rather deal with the turf issues instead.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I think Miami could fix their park by opening the roof more often, however it comes at a large cost and the owner simply would rather deal with the turf issues instead.
Growing grass in Florida is not easy to begin with. All that grows is crabgrass in residential lawns since the weather makes maintaining grass we're used very difficult.