Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2001, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default What's going on with the whole pitching staff?

I'm really confused and unsure about whether the White Sox pitching will be successful next year. The only real proven starter is Mark Buehrle. The oldest one, (as it looks right now) will probably end up being Jim Parque. Keith Foulke may not be here next year. Kelly Wunsch, Parque, Osuna, Biddle, and Howry (he seems like he still needs some more time to recover) are still questionable as to whether they'll return and be as effective as they were in 2000. Wunsch was a key part of this pen in 2000, but in 2001, his shoulder was no good, and he ended up being more of a burden than a help to this team. Hopefully he can return 100% and pitch for this team as he did in 2000. Parque was a starter in 2000, and he did an adequate job. He still is pretty young, but as the oldest man on the staff, can he handle mentoring the young players? I have my doubts. Right now, as we see it, the only guaranteed starter is Mark Buehrle. Jon Garland has also turned a corner in my opinion, and he can handle the pressure of being a starter as well. As we look ahead, the rotation will probably be for 2002:

Buehrle
Garland
Parque
Rauch
Wells? or Guerrier?

I think this team needs to acquire an established veteran to lead these kids in the right direction. Parque is not the answer. Eldred is as good as retired. Someone like John Smoltz (or along those lines, maybe worth a little less money, although I'd really like to see them make a push at Smoltz). He's won a Cy Young award in his career, and still can start.

If foulke goes, I wouldn't be surprised if Edwin Almonte takes over the closers role, or Antonio Osuna. I don't trust Howry with it anymore.

These Sox should be good enough to at least make the playoffs in 2002. I'm just hoping that Kenny Williams doesn't screw it all up.
Old 11-22-2001, 11:41 AM
WSI Personality

I really do like Parque now that Ive found that people here in the southeast love him because of his toughness--you gotta admit---the little man has some gonads out there---how that will translate into leadership I dont know---and I still say we should re-sign Boomer because Burhle has to take that next step and be consistant and he said that Boomer was the one who helped him the most---
Old 11-22-2001, 11:56 AM
Clean-up Crew

I have liked Parque ever since the brawl. He's a little guy out there who is not afrais to throw inside and he took a stand for his team mates. The only problem I see with him is he can be his own worst enemy. He seems like a real hot head with a chip on his shoulder. I hope that doesn't effect his game next year.

I think John Smoltz would be a perfect fit for this staff of youngsters. I'd love to see him here.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have Rauch or Gurrier in the starting rotation right away. Rauch especially. Eventhough he had minor surgury, he probably won't be at 100% with confidence and all. THey might not have a choice though if they don't pick up a few veteran pitchers.

The opening day roster will be interesting to see.

I'm sorry Bernnie.
Old 11-22-2001, 07:03 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Rauch will start the year in the minor leagues,the Sox have made too many mistakes in rushing pitchers up to make that mistake again I hope.
Parque will most likely make the move to the pen,he is a marginal starter at best,he rarely goes more than 5 innings and would be much better suited for long releif.

Though I know I am in the minority here,everyone here seems to forget the prescence of Rocky Biddle on this team,he does not have overpowering stuff,but he is a 4 pitch pitcher that is not afraid to go after the hitter.that and the fact that if he got any run support before Nardi killed his arm would have had double digit wins last year.

Buerlhe
Garland
Biddle
Glover
Wells

But then again what the hell do I know?
Old 11-22-2001, 07:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by daver
Rauch will start the year in the minor leagues,the Sox have made too many mistakes in rushing pitchers up to make that mistake again I hope.
Parque will most likely make the move to the pen,he is a marginal starter at best,he rarely goes more than 5 innings and would be much better suited for long releif.

Though I know I am in the minority here,everyone here seems to forget the prescence of Rocky Biddle on this team,he does not have overpowering stuff,but he is a 4 pitch pitcher that is not afraid to go after the hitter.that and the fact that if he got any run support before Nardi killed his arm would have had double digit wins last year.

Buerlhe
Garland
Biddle
Glover
Wells

Where do you think Wright fits in there, bullpen or minors or what?
Old 11-22-2001, 07:18 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Where do you think Wright fits in there, bullpen or minors or what?
If i get my wish Foulke will be traded and Wright will be the closer.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:53 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Default Re: What's going on with the whole pitching staff?

Quote:
Originally posted by guillen4life13
These Sox should be good enough to at least make the playoffs in 2002. I'm just hoping that Kenny Williams doesn't screw it all up.
Well, we can always dream the dream, can't we? Given KW's first year on the job, I'm pretty sure he will disappoint us. Apparently JR has decided KW can't spend any money to make meaningful improvements to the team (like a true lead-off man, catcher or thirdbasemen) so I'm not very optimistic about our chances next spring. That's just part of being a Sox Fan, I guess.

BTW, welcome to the board. You'll find we're all diehards here, and not one of us is a pollyanna about our support of the team either.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:43 PM
Clean-up Crew

Quote:

You don't think Almonte will get his shot at being the closer? I think Wright can be a good starter. Sad to say, but I'd rather see him in the rotation then Kip.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Parque??? If Parque is in our rotation next season, we have SERIOUS problems.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:55 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

You don't think Almonte will get his shot at being the closer? I think Wright can be a good starter. Sad to say, but I'd rather see him in the rotation then Kip.
Wright is lucky to get three strong innings,he has good stuff,but runs out of gas quick,and his two best pitches are the heater and that killer slider,which makes him a perfect closer candidate.Randar could probably give you better info on this.

I like Kip in the pen,he seems more comfortable there,but the reality of the situation is that the Sox have a lot invested in him as a starter,and are not going to give up easily.Kip could be a good starter if he had a real pitching coach that was willing to work with his mechanics,as opposed to trying to make him throw what he thinks Kip should be able to throw.

Almonte is still a year away,remember he started the year at the A level.

Old 11-22-2001, 09:56 PM
WSI Personality

we are in serious trouble if Foulke is not our closer--
Old 11-22-2001, 09:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
we are in serious trouble if Foulke is not our closer--
that too...
Old 11-22-2001, 10:02 PM
Clean-up Crew

Quote:

Wright is lucky to get three strong innings,he has good stuff,but runs out of gas quick,and his two best pitches are the heater and that killer slider,which makes him a perfect closer candidate.Randar could probably give you better info on this.

I like Kip in the pen,he seems more comfortable there,but the reality of the situation is that the Sox have a lot invested in him as a starter,and are not going to give up easily.Kip could be a good starter if he had a real pitching coach that was willing to work with his mechanics,as opposed to trying to make him throw what he thinks Kip should be able to throw.

Almonte is still a year away,remember he started the year at the A level.

I can't disagree there.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:12 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bmr31
Parque??? If Parque is in our rotation next season, we have SERIOUS problems.
Parque would be a great addition to the bullpen, at least for the first-half of the season. Lord knows we have nobody dependable in the 'pen to pitch lefty in relief.

Of course KW isn't permitted to acquire any real (i.e. expensive) talent, so we'll probably end up with another Embree/Pulsipher cast-off from somebody else's roster. And of course, Parque will be jammed back into the starting rotation where his still-recovering shoulder ought to make for plenty of 8-7 ballgames.

Guess which team gets the seven?
Old 11-22-2001, 10:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

are you on drugs?????

do you honestly think that we will get the same numbers from wright as we did from foulke. we need foulke in the pen, the other info about the other players you mention in a later post is good.