GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I think Jiminez and Kopech are promoted on or about August 1. I may be wrong here, but for players that are Sept call-ups, that time does not count against service time clocks.
A player does have to be placed 40-man roster to be called up, which to my recollection does start their service time at least from the perspective of options.

Jiménez is on the 40-man. But Kopech is not. So someone has to go to the 60-day DL or be outrighted or DFAed when Kopech is promoted.

Clarkin and Vieira are on the 40-man, and are mildly interesting, and might get a September callup.

Adolfo and Basabe are on the 40-man, but they won’t be promoted to Chicago this September.

Likewise, I just don’t see the Sox putting highly regarded prospects - like Hansen, Robert, Cease, Rutherford, or Collins, for instance - on the 40-man roster this year just to give them a September callup.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
A player does have to be placed 40-man roster to be called up, which to my recollection does start their service time at least from the perspective of options.

Jiménez is on the 40-man. But Kopech is not. So someone has to go to the 60-day DL or be outrighted or DFAed when Kopech is promoted.

Clarkin and Vieira are on the 40-man, and are mildly interesting, and might get a September callup.

Adolfo and Basabe are on the 40-man, but they won’t be promoted to Chicago this September.

Likewise, I just don’t see the Sox putting highly regarded prospects - like Hansen, Robert, Cease, Rutherford, or Collins, for instance - on the 40-man roster this year just to give them a September callup.
As far as option years go, you're right, a player only has a limited number of options available and once they are added to the 40 man roster, those options start declining. I guess i was referring more to the arbitration service time clock. I do not think the time on the active roster after Sept 1 counts against that clock.

A move with the 25/40 man rosters needs to be made to order to call-up Kopech, that is correct.

I can see Vieira getting a look see at the MLB level because he is at AAA, and what have you got to lose. Clarkin is intriguing because he is a lefty, but making the jump from AA to the majors can be tough.

Adolfo and Basabe are no where near ready to be a Sept callups.

And I agree with you on the other prospects, probably won't see the likes of Hansen, Collins, Cease, Dunning, Rutherford et.al as Sept call-ups this year. Probably not until 2020 for most of them. Maybe 2019 for Dunning if he keeps doing this well.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
As far as option years go, you're right, a player only has a limited number of options available and once they are added to the 40 man roster, those options start declining. I guess i was referring more to the arbitration service time clock. I do not think the time on the active roster after Sept 1 counts against that clock.

A move with the 25/40 man rosters needs to be made to order to call-up Kopech, that is correct.

I can see Vieira getting a look see at the MLB level because he is at AAA, and what have you got to lose. Clarkin is intriguing because he is a lefty, but making the jump from AA to the majors can be tough.

Adolfo and Basabe are no where near ready to be a Sept callups.

And I agree with you on the other prospects, probably won't see the likes of Hansen, Collins, Cease, Dunning, Rutherford et.al as Sept call-ups this year. Probably not until 2020 for most of them. Maybe 2019 for Dunning if he keeps doing this well.
Agreed on all counts. September callups won’t be interesting this year unless someone surprises us, like Trayce in 2014 or Delmonico in 2017. The real interesting major league story lines remaining are, in no particular order:

1. Can Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer establish any quality consistency?

2. Moncada’s return

3. Can Avi when healthy return to 2017 form to up his trade value or play his way into long-term consideration?

4. Do we have a future infield settled with Yolmer and Anderson?

5. Eloy

6. Kopech

7. Will any other players on the roster rise to the challenge to be longer-term complimentary role players?

8. Will Abreu be an All-Star starter?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:11 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Bear football? That likely will offer more of the same.
No...although I do keep an eye on them. It's regarding my job as the players report back in early August to get ready for the college season.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. September callups won’t be interesting this year unless someone surprises us, like Trayce in 2014 or Delmonico in 2017. The real interesting major league story lines remaining are, in no particular order:

1. Can Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer establish any quality consistency?
I mentioned this in the game thread, but don't forget that McDowell was a Sept call-up in 1987, won a rotation job in 1988 and spent the entire 1989 season back in the minors. We all know how good a pitcher McDowell became. Give them time to learn how to pitch. I see Fulmer more as a 2-3 inning reliever in the long run.

Quote:
2. Moncada’s return
How will the time off treat Moncada. He was really starting to show the offensive side relative to being a former #1 prospect. He needs to get the leg healed, that is true. But will the time off negatively affect his timing

Quote:
3. Can Avi when healthy return to 2017 form to up his trade value or play his way into long-term consideration?
So far, 2017 is proving to be the outlier for Avi. But only time will tell. Here's hoping for the best for Avi.

Quote:
4. Do we have a future infield settled with Yolmer and Anderson?
I would have to say yes. Anderson does have some work to do on defense with the routine plays, but as others have said, that might be a between the ears issue that can be straightened out. We forget that Alexi took some plays off as well, and he was one the better shortstops that we've had since Guillen manned the position. I see Sanchez more as a super infield sub, able to play 2B, 3B and SS well so there is not a drop off when the regular is no tin the lineup. So far though, he has also shown enough to warrant a starting job as well

Quote:
5. Eloy
The question here is when, not if. I see Eloy on the 25 man roster mid July, perhaps after the all star break. I see him getting bumped up to Charlotte June 1 and spending aprox a month and a half there.

Quote:
6. Kopech
Kopech will be on the 25 man before the end of July, probably after the all-star break as well. Still needs to work on control of secondary stuff a bit, but that will come.

Quote:
7. Will any other players on the roster rise to the challenge to be longer-term complimentary role players?

8. Will Abreu be an All-Star starter?
You never know what the future holds but so far, no one is stepping up to the challenge, especially in the bull pen.

Abreu does deserve the honor but i do not see it happening, just not enough fans voting for him. Had Moncada not gotten hurt, I could see him getting a shot at being the starter if he kept playing the way he was. There is still time but i highly doubt it with the way the team is playing as a whole.