Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2018, 01:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Jones though has a bad history of this.

Wasn't it last year or two years ago he personally blew a half dozen games? Now add in his injury history and the fact that he is already 32 and I think you have to hope he can turn it around...so the Sox can get something for him at the deadline.
Its not that unusual for good setup men and middle relievers to rack up blown saves. Pitch three innings give up one run with a one run lead, that's a BS. If I'm not mistaken, in a hold situation, the reliever gets a BS even if the team ends up winning. Jones was the best setup man, so he was the guy in with one run leads, so he racked some up because he gave up a few runs over 70+ appearances. Cant really compare it to closers. No way you can look at Jones's stats that year and make the argument he had anything less than a very good season. Its basically like looking at a starting pitcher's losses and arguing they were ineffective on that alone.

Last edited by TheVulture; 05-10-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Also, a reliever can be charged a BS for allowing an inherited runner to score the tying run, so theoretically Jones could have gone all year without allowing a run and still have blown six saves
Old 05-10-2018, 02:30 PM
WSI Guru

Statistically, I believe the home team in MLB wins 69 percent of the time when it scores first. The Sox didn't just score first Tuesday and Wednesday -- they took a 4-0 lead in both games. Yet they did not win either game.

I was prepared for another losing season, but I was not prepared for historical levels of ineptitude such as this: 3-15 at home, 4-23 against clubs not named Kansas City, still not in double-digit wins on May 10.

With respect to Jones, I think he has what I like to call Mike Timlin Disease. Put him in the seventh or eighth inning, and he's a pretty solid reliever. Put him in the ninth inning, and he'll crumble. The Sox played eight pretty strong innings yesterday, and it just went to hell in the blink of an eye. What was it, eight or nine pitches and the lead was gone?

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-10-2018, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
With respect to Jones, I think he has what I like to call Mike Timlin Disease. Put him in the seventh or eighth inning, and he's a pretty solid reliever. Put him in the ninth inning, and he'll crumble. The Sox played eight pretty strong innings yesterday, and it just went to hell in the blink of an eye. What was it, eight or nine pitches and the lead was gone?
This is just a perception thing. His career splits from baseball-reference.com show that his 9th inning performance is not appreciably different from his performance in other innings.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
What was it, eight or nine pitches and the lead was gone?
I counted 10 and that's what I saw in the game recap story at the Sox web site.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Statistically, I believe the home team in MLB wins 69 percent of the time when it scores first. The Sox didn't just score first Tuesday and Wednesday -- they took a 4-0 lead in both games. Yet they did not win either game.

I was prepared for another losing season, but I was not prepared for historical levels of ineptitude such as this: 3-15 at home, 4-23 against clubs not named Kansas City, still not in double-digit wins on May 10.

And to think, we may have one of our worst seasons ever and still not get a top-2 pick. It will be interesting to see what teams at the bottom sell off first.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 PM
WSI Prelate

I sure hope we can manage to get at least one win against the bad guys on the North Side this weekend.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
I counted 10 and that's what I saw in the game recap story at the Sox web site.
I don't see why this is a negative. Aren't you sick of the slow death watching Infante and Minaya throw ball after ball well out of the strike zone? I give Nate credit for attacking the strike zone and getting ahead. The Diaz ground rule double came after three sliders low in the strike zone, 0-2, on a 97 mph fastball at the top of the zone. I consider that good pitch selection. Most batters will swing right under that pitch.

At some point you need to count on BABIP and figure 7 times out of 10 the batter will get himself out. The Pirates are lucky, good, or both. I'm not down at all about Nate.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W

Next Game Jun 1
Old 05-10-2018, 11:36 PM
WSI Guru

The Sox are officially the only team without 10 wins. They also have the lowest winning percentage in baseball. Gonna be a long summer and early fall.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:35 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I don't see why this is a negative. Aren't you sick of the slow death watching Infante and Minaya throw ball after ball well out of the strike zone? I give Nate credit for attacking the strike zone and getting ahead. The Diaz ground rule double came after three sliders low in the strike zone, 0-2, on a 97 mph fastball at the top of the zone. I consider that good pitch selection. Most batters will swing right under that pitch.

At some point you need to count on BABIP and figure 7 times out of 10 the batter will get himself out. The Pirates are lucky, good, or both. I'm not down at all about Nate.
I was answering JB's question on the number of pitches thrown not making a comment one way or the other on it.

Personally I wouldn't give you a bag of balls for the entire Sox bullpen, lock, stock and barrel including Jones. Throws 100 MPH and doesn't intimidate anybody, that is when he's healthy which he hasn't been in three of the four previous years.

If the Sox can get anything for him at the deadline God bless them.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The Sox are officially the only team without 10 wins. They also have the lowest winning percentage in baseball. Gonna be a long summer and early fall.
Well if they keep up this pace it'll be over for me by July 4th and I can start getting ready for football.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well if they keep up this pace it'll be over for me by July 4th and I can start getting ready for football.
For me, the interesting part of the season starts September 1 when rosters expand. Looking forward to seeing the a preview of the 8-peat.

273-235.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
For me, the interesting part of the season starts September 1 when rosters expand. Looking forward to seeing the a preview of the 8-peat.
I dont expect that the Sox would promote any truly interesting top tier prospects, and thus start their service clocks, in September. I think wed be more likely to get secondary prospects who already are on the 40-man roster, like Cordell and Tilson, and a third catcher like Smith.

Anyone truly interesting, like Kopech and Eloy, will already be on the team before September.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Bear football? That likely will offer more of the same.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I dont expect that the Sox would promote any truly interesting top tier prospects, and thus start their service clocks, in September. I think wed be more likely to get secondary prospects who already are on the 40-man roster, like Cordell and Tilson, and a third catcher like Smith.

Anyone truly interesting, like Kopech and Eloy, will already be on the team before September.
I think Jiminez and Kopech are promoted on or about August 1. I may be wrong here, but for players that are Sept call-ups, that time does not count against service time clocks.