Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I hope he recovers quickly, he certainly can. Guys in the NFL come back from these tears all the time.

That said, there is zero change they would have not bid on an elite 3b in FA like Nolan or Machado because of Burger.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Achilles tears are impossible to predict. Just one of those things, I guess.

If Burger can mean back, great. If not, the Sox will have to move on. Nothing else to do.

This does make it more likely that the Sox ultimately target a free agent third baseman. If they do, I hope they ultimately get Nolan Arenado.
I would commit to buying a third baseman anyway. The only position player I would try to develop in the infield would be a first baseman since Abreu is beginning to age. The loss or Burger doesn't make me THAT upset given we have Sheets/ Seby down there.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Default 2018

A nightmare season for sure. Are Moncada and Lopez the only 2 guys that will be part of the 2020's not currently in AAA, AA, or A ball?
Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshanahanjr View Post
A nightmare season for sure. Are Moncada and Lopez the only 2 guys that will be part of the 2020's not currently in AAA, AA, or A ball?
Without the benefit of a crystal ball, I'd also add Tim Anderson. Maybe Yolmer will still be here, too.

I know some people are writing these guys off already, but Lucas Giolito and Carson Fulmer are possibilities despite their struggles.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I hope he recovers quickly, he certainly can. Guys in the NFL come back from these tears all the time.

That said, there is zero change they would have not bid on an elite 3b in FA like Nolan or Machado because of Burger.
I don't think the bold part is true. Here's a quote from an article regarding Achilles tears among NFL players:

"From 2011 to 2015, 46 NFL players reported they had torn an Achilles tendo; 24 of them never played again professionally or retired shortly thereafter."

Obviously, football puts more of a strain on the tendon with blocking and more explosive movements, but still...
Old 05-09-2018, 05:44 PM
WSI Personality

This has unequivocally been my least favorite White Sox season of all time. It started right away with every freaking day being somebody new getting hurt during Spring Training. Then the season starts and I realize how hard it is to sit down and watch this team because they are SO bad in every aspect of the game. The defense really has been disappointing. There's one bright spot and that's Moncada starting to turn it around and he freaking gets hurt. And this news today punctuates the Sox awfulness when it comes to drafting. Out of Rodon, Fulmer, and Burger what are we getting? Answer: not much. Maybe Rodon can stay healthy and Fulmer can develop and maybe Burger does make it back but those are too many "maybes"

They have got to hit on their draft pick this year. Got to.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
This has unequivocally been my least favorite White Sox season of all time. It started right away with every freaking day being somebody new getting hurt during Spring Training. Then the season starts and I realize how hard it is to sit down and watch this team because they are SO bad in every aspect of the game. The defense really has been disappointing. There's one bright spot and that's Moncada starting to turn it around and he freaking gets hurt.
Somewhere Lip is smiling... :')
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-09-2018, 06:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
They have got to hit on their draft pick this year. Got to.

Yes, they need to have success with their draft pick this year, but we won’t know for several years if that player will pan out.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Do MLB teams even target positional need in the draft? Aside from the split between pitchers and hitters, I mean. So many drafted players are moved to other positions that such a narrow approach would seem misguided. It's a lot different than the other three major sports.
The bust rate is so high that, IMO, it makes micro-managing based on position a sucker’s bet. I imagine that teams do everything possible with each pick to draft a player who they think is least likely to bust.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Somewhere Lip is smiling... :')
Actually I'm not. Never want to see guys get hurt and damage the Sox overall chances. My concern is why it is happening so often the past three (now) years bucking the trend they had for a number of seasons.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Actually I'm not. Never want to see guys get hurt and damage the Sox overall chances. My concern is why it is happening so often the past three (now) years bucking the trend they had for a number of seasons.

Not because of the injuries. That was really a bad post on my part.

I mean the injury bug seems to follow this team. Whether preparation, or player discipline to training, the injuries seem to always be there.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Feel bad for the kid.

That said, even if Yolmer's offense to date is a mirage, he's a 2-3 WAR player based on his glove alone. So it's not like 3B is a position of concern, really. The OF and pitching staff, despite the minor league depth, are where the White Sox will probably struggle for at least a few years to find the right bodies to plug in and find success.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Yet another example the Murphy's Law has not been repealed.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Feel bad for the kid.

That said, even if Yolmer's offense to date is a mirage, he's a 2-3 WAR player based on his glove alone. So it's not like 3B is a position of concern, really. The OF and pitching staff, despite the minor league depth, are where the White Sox will probably struggle for at least a few years to find the right bodies to plug in and find success.
Third base though is one of those power-type positions where you expect / need a player to produce via HR and RBI's. I don't think Sanchez has that ability. He's OK for now but long term, the Sox need someone a lot better.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Third base though is one of those power-type positions where you expect / need a player to produce via HR and RBI's. I don't think Sanchez has that ability. He's OK for now but long term, the Sox need someone a lot better.
I agree that we probably don't want a slap hitter at third base, but Yolmer's doubles and triples, plus his speed on the base paths, plus his good defense and clubhouse presence, means that I'm willing to give him a longer opportunity to earn the third base job.