White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 AM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 29,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
That's a silly straw man argument- the overall customer experience and satisfaction is an important part of building/maintaining a fan base- and for those of us that have visited alot of the other major league ballparks- there are some pretty big gaps with the White Sox.
No question. Agree completely. You really notice where the Sox are lacking when you attend other MLB parks around the country.

The Sox routinely do things that are head-scratching, annoying or downright infuriating with regard to the customer experience. The thing that's maddening is I've repeatedly pointed out the things I dislike to them in the numerous surveys they've sent me over the past several years, but I don't feel as if much has changed.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; 2015: 10-10; 2016: 13-10; 2017: 7-5; Total: 155-124.
Next game: Sept. 24 vs. Kansas City

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
In this week's installment of "*** are the Sox thinking?!", I received the mailing for the annual Father/Daughter Day promotion, which is scheduled for June 24 -- also known as the day they're retiring Mark Buehrle's number. The usual Father/Daughter Day pregame parade around the field isn't listed on the flyer as one of the perks of the day for obvious reasons, which is disappointing but understandable. What's even more disappointing is the fact that I can't go to this annual event with my dad and sister this year because I've had tickets to the June 24 ballgame for a couple months already.

I understand that the Sox are on the road for what seems like the entire first half of the season, but what would be wrong with having Father/Daughter Day on June 25 or even the following weekend? There's just no reason to have this usually well-attended promotion on the same day as what will be the last number retirement ceremony for many years.

The flyer lists lower box, lower reserved, and upper box tickets as being available at discounted rates, but I can't imagine there are a lot of tickets available for June 24. I'm sending my flyer in tomorrow so my dad and sister can get tickets and go together, but that's assuming tickets are still available when the Sox receive my order.

This is among the dumbest decisions the Sox have made in some time and personally angers me.
I completely agree with you on this. I, too, am disappointed as I look forward to this event every year.

They messed up the parade for last year's Father-Daughter game, too if I remember correctly. They had another on-field pre-game event going on and made everyone there for the Father Daughter parade wait in line for a long time because the other event wasn't completed. It was soooo hot that day and we were stuck waiting in the hot sun at the Gate 1 area. By the time we finally got in to do the warning track parade, I was feeling ill from cooking in the sun and we ended up leaving the game early that day.

If saying this makes me a "whiner" or exposes me as a "wuss" (for feeling sick after standing in the hot sun), so be it. Nonetheless I was very disappointed in the crappy way the Sox dealt with people attending this annual, popular event.

...and regarding your point about them perhaps going with another date, I totally agree. At some point, the Sox promotions department got it in their heads that Father Daughter Day *must* be right before Father's Day and Mother-Son Night *must* be before Mother's Day. Now, it's almost always crappy, freezing cold weather on Mother-Son Night. One year, they even did it on a week night in early May because the Sox didn't have a weekend homestand in early May. We had to skip it because no way could we make it to a game on a school night. Apparently, Sox management can't think outside the box and the idea of having Mother-Son game at any time other than early May must just blow their minds.

When they first did these events, they weren't pegged to those days. The Mother-Son game was in September one year. The weather was wonderful for that game! Since then the event has always been in early May and the weather has almost always sucked for that event. No reason IMO that the Mother-Son game has to be in early May.

Okay, I've said my piece. Others can flame away for my nerve to complain.
__________________



White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!


*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016

Last edited by Hitmen77; 05-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I think it's pretty silly IMO to stress out over the nature and scheduling of a promotion or promotional schedule.

What do I know though? Here, I thought the most important thing about the Chicago White Sox was the Chicago White Sox. But no. It's how the organization carries out promotions. That's the glue that holds everything together.
This kind of argument comes up every time someone makes any complaint about some ballpark amenity, promotion, etc.

Quite frankly, the Sox don't have nearly the following of many other teams in MLB. They can't just take a "worry about the product on the field and shut up about the ballpark experience" attitude with their fans.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 PM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 3,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The Sox routinely do things that are head-scratching, annoying or downright infuriating with regard to the customer experience. The thing that's maddening is I've repeatedly pointed out the things I dislike to them in the numerous surveys they've sent me over the past several years, but I don't feel as if much has changed.
Exactly. For example, I've told multiple people in the organization exactly how to prevent the annual SoxFest Friday entry debacle. It involves using a simple wristband system that's been used by years at concerts and can be implemented with minimal effort. Yet nothing changes. The organization seems to have a disdain for listening to suggestions.

A couple weeks ago, I left a simple message inquiring about buying a ticket to Picnic in the Park, repeated my phone number a couple times and even said they could just text me a short answer if that was easier. I didn't hear anything back. Keep in mind I'm interested in buying a ticket that costs $175, and yet they can't even bother to return a message. There are a couple of good people in the organization who've helped me through the years, but the organization as a whole is brutal when it comes to fan relations.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 29,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
This kind of argument comes up every time someone makes any complaint about some ballpark amenity, promotion, etc.

Quite frankly, the Sox don't have nearly the following of many other teams in MLB. They can't just take a "worry about the product on the field and shut up about the ballpark experience" attitude with their fans.
And, the ballpark amenities and promotions, etc., become that much more important in a season such as this where on-field expectations are low.

I think we all are bracing for the reality that the Sox will lose more games than they will win this year, perhaps significantly more losses than wins. Nobody is going to the ballpark this year because they are expecting greatness from the team. The Sox need to give fans other things to be happy about during a day at the ballpark, and quite frankly, they need to improve in that area almost as much as they need to improve on the field.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 AM
beasly213 beasly213 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 4,814
Default

I hope they do something for the Moms that come to the game Sunday. So far the promo only says "Family Sundays" Last year they gave all Moms fun Sox tote bags.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:29 PM
WhiffleBall WhiffleBall is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 688
Default

I thought they would add the 1/2 way to St Pats promo back on to the schedule but then I realized that it has always been sponsored by Miller Lite so it's probably not coming back anytime soon. The caps and hats given away the past few years for that promo have been excellent.

I will also say that the quality of the free t-shirt Thursday giveaways are very nice and fairly high quality.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 1,482
Default Sounds of Silence

I've written JR a number of times about certain promotions. None of my letters were mean spirited. I was simply trying to point out how to make some promotions better. I stopped getting responses from him. I don't bother writing him anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:14 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
This kind of argument comes up every time someone makes any complaint about some ballpark amenity, promotion, etc.

Quite frankly, the Sox don't have nearly the following of many other teams in MLB. They can't just take a "worry about the product on the field and shut up about the ballpark experience" attitude with their fans.
The thing is- the teams that LEAD MLB in attendance do a GREAT job with promotions and the fan experience- on top of the product on the field.

The Cubs have some really cool promotions this year- and they don't need to between the popularity of Wrigley Field and coming off a World Series win. The Giants do a great job at their ballpark- and they have no attendance issues to be concerned with.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2017 Record: 2-2
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 AM
beasly213 beasly213 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 4,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I hope they do something for the Moms that come to the game Sunday. So far the promo only says "Family Sundays" Last year they gave all Moms fun Sox tote bags.
They didn't have anything for Moms. Thumbs Down.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:20 PM
wdelaney72 wdelaney72 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,116
Default

I've been to a number of other ballparks, but cannot say I pay attention to their promotional events. I think the ballpark itself makes for a great experience because it's comfortable and a good environment.

The product on the field is the only thing that will directly translate to butts in seats. There's plenty of evidence to support that. I find ad slogans and cheesy marketing campaigns juvenile and wasteful...but they all do it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.