And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2017, 11:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Joe View Post
Yes, RF gate is open (by the bullpen bar entrance). I tend to always go to gate 2 or 1. Gate 5 is always a mess.
OK, So gate 1 does open to everyone or just Patio Party Folks.

I really miss not renewing my Stadium Club access. Using that entrance with elevator access during the 2006 madhouse was the greatest.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Glad they are doing a 1917 jersey day. I have a soft spot for the pinstripe version of those uniforms.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM
WSI High Priest

In this week's installment of "*** are the Sox thinking?!", I received the mailing for the annual Father/Daughter Day promotion, which is scheduled for June 24 -- also known as the day they're retiring Mark Buehrle's number. The usual Father/Daughter Day pregame parade around the field isn't listed on the flyer as one of the perks of the day for obvious reasons, which is disappointing but understandable. What's even more disappointing is the fact that I can't go to this annual event with my dad and sister this year because I've had tickets to the June 24 ballgame for a couple months already.

I understand that the Sox are on the road for what seems like the entire first half of the season, but what would be wrong with having Father/Daughter Day on June 25 or even the following weekend? There's just no reason to have this usually well-attended promotion on the same day as what will be the last number retirement ceremony for many years.

The flyer lists lower box, lower reserved, and upper box tickets as being available at discounted rates, but I can't imagine there are a lot of tickets available for June 24. I'm sending my flyer in tomorrow so my dad and sister can get tickets and go together, but that's assuming tickets are still available when the Sox receive my order.

This is among the dumbest decisions the Sox have made in some time and personally angers me.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
In this week's installment of "*** are the Sox thinking?!", I received the mailing for the annual Father/Daughter Day promotion, which is scheduled for June 24 -- also known as the day they're retiring Mark Buehrle's number. The usual Father/Daughter Day pregame parade around the field isn't listed on the flyer as one of the perks of the day for obvious reasons, which is disappointing but understandable. What's even more disappointing is the fact that I can't go to this annual event with my dad and sister this year because I've had tickets to the June 24 ballgame for a couple months already.

I understand that the Sox are on the road for what seems like the entire first half of the season, but what would be wrong with having Father/Daughter Day on June 25 or even the following weekend? There's just no reason to have this usually well-attended promotion on the same day as what will be the last number retirement ceremony for many years.

The flyer lists lower box, lower reserved, and upper box tickets as being available at discounted rates, but I can't imagine there are a lot of tickets available for June 24. I'm sending my flyer in tomorrow so my dad and sister can get tickets and go together, but that's assuming tickets are still available when the Sox receive my order.

This is among the dumbest decisions the Sox have made in some time and personally angers me.
What did the Sox front office say when you called and explained your situation?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideSox View Post
What did the Sox front office say when you called and explained your situation?
Why would I call the front office and explain my situation? It's not as if I'm the only daughter who is affected by this example of promotional scheduling incompetence. It's not like I'm a fan who deserves some kind of special treatment.

Father/Daughter Day is always a well-attended event, and having it conflict with Mark Buehrle Day is just ridiculous, especially when the only other promotion happening a day later is Family Sunday. Ticket availability will be extremely limited on June 24, and the pregame on-field parade isn't happening (again, for obvious reasons).

Once again, this board has proven why my posting has decreased so much over the last couple years. All I did was merely vent my frustrations about a popular promotion being planned on a day when one of our favorites is having his number retired, yet here I am defending myself.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Once again, this board has proven why my posting has decreased so much over the last couple years. All I did was merely vent my frustrations about a popular promotion being planned on a day when one of our favorites is having his number retired, yet here I am defending myself.
The pattern here is more focused on how why our standards are too high or why we don't give the Sox a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance to address their mistakes vs. why the White Sox don't get their head out of their asses.

Seems silly to me the way they tack on promotions throughout the first few months of the season...vs. having a well thought out calendar ready to go by the time individual tiz go on sale.

And don't get me started on the whole "1st 10000 fans", "1st 20000 fans", etc.- should be for every fan in attendance-
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18

Last edited by TomBradley72; 05-09-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Why would I call the front office and explain my situation? It's not as if I'm the only daughter who is affected by this example of promotional scheduling incompetence. It's not like I'm a fan who deserves some kind of special treatment.

Father/Daughter Day is always a well-attended event, and having it conflict with Mark Buehrle Day is just ridiculous, especially when the only other promotion happening a day later is Family Sunday. Ticket availability will be extremely limited on June 24, and the pregame on-field parade isn't happening (again, for obvious reasons).

With all due respect, all the previous poster did was ask a simple question. I assume what he was getting at is what would the explanation be to hold both promos on the same day.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The pattern here is more focused on how why our standards are too high or why we don't give the Sox a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance to address their mistakes vs. why the White Sox don't get their head out of their asses.

Seems silly to me the way they tack on promotions throughout the first few months of the season...vs. having a well thought out calendar ready to go by the time individual tiz go on sale.

And don't get me started on the whole "1st 10000 fans", "1st 20000 fans", etc.- should be for every fan in attendance-
Quote:

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I think it's pretty silly IMO to stress out over the nature and scheduling of a promotion or promotional schedule.

What do I know though? Here, I thought the most important thing about the Chicago White Sox was the Chicago White Sox. But no. It's how the organization carries out promotions. That's the glue that holds everything together.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I think it's pretty silly IMO to stress out over the nature and scheduling of a promotion or promotional schedule.

What do I know though? Here, I thought the most important thing about the Chicago White Sox was the Chicago White Sox. But no. It's how the organization carries out promotions. That's the glue that holds everything together.
That's a silly straw man argument- the overall customer experience and satisfaction is an important part of building/maintaining a fan base- and for those of us that have visited alot of the other major league ballparks- there are some pretty big gaps with the White Sox.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
WSI Guru

This year is the 40th anniversary of that incredible summer of the South Side Hit Men. I hope the Sox do something to honor one of the best loved teams in franchise history...maybe bring some of the guys back for it.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This year is the 40th anniversary of that incredible summer of the South Side Hit Men. I hope the Sox do something to honor one of the best loved teams in franchise history...maybe bring some of the guys back for it.
From what I know Ritchie Zisk still holds a grudge against the White Sox for whatever reason. I know they have contacted him in the past about coming back here to no avail.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
From what I know Ritchie Zisk still holds a grudge against the White Sox for whatever reason. I know they have contacted him in the past about coming back here to no avail.
Zisk played one year with the Sox, ran up his numbers and then went on to sign a free agent contract with Texas and made boatloads of money. Why on earth would he hold a grudge against the Sox? Similarly, why would the Sox care to bring him back that much? Herbert Perry has a bigger legacy with the Sox than Zisk.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Maybe they'll do something unique like wear the old throwback uniforms.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Zisk played one year with the Sox, ran up his numbers and then went on to sign a free agent contract with Texas and made boatloads of money. Why on earth would he hold a grudge against the Sox? Similarly, why would the Sox care to bring him back that much? Herbert Perry has a bigger legacy with the Sox than Zisk.
When Zisk came back the following year with the Rangers, Sox fans absolutely destroyed him when he was in the outfield and when he was at bat.

They took it very personally that he left. And he's taken it personally that they went after him like they did.

I don't know if that is still the case but it was for a very long time.

Veeck during the season was quoted as saying along the lines of "we have to be prudent" as far as dealing with Zisk's upcoming free agency. That was code for 'are you kidding? we don't have that kind of money...'

As far as his legacy "the Polish Prince" was the face of the Hitmen. If you were going to do something to honor that club you would have to at least reach out and see if he'd participate.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Maybe Buehrle gave them the 24th as the only day he could make it.

But I agree, for a special circumstance like this why not postpone Father/Daughter day to the next day? All it takes is a simple announcement on the telecast and social media.

Makes sense.