Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2017, 05:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Default *Official* 6/18/17 Dad's Day Downer Postgamer

James Shields looked pretty good the first two times theough the order. It was a shame that he suffered that mini meltdown in the 6th after retiring the first two batters. Meanwhile, I think we can say that the clock officially has struck midnight on Anthony Swarzak's Cinderella story. The rough days for Avi and Davidson at the plate had "last game of a road trip" written all over them, too.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
James Shields looked pretty good the first two times theough the order. It was a shame that he suffered that mini meltdown in the 6th after retiring the first two batters. Meanwhile, I think we can say that the clock officially has struck midnight on Anthony Swarzak's Cinderella story. The rough days for Avi and Davidson at the plate had "last game of a road trip" written all over them, too.
Road trip is not over, 3 games in Minny.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL
Road trip is not over, 3 games in Minny.
Yikes.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Further evidence that you really can't win them all. On to Minnesota.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
271-233.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Just an impression but it seems to me the Sox give up a lot of two out runs.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Last day in Canada, anyway. Farmer used to talk about how he didn't even change his money for the Canada trips, and he seemed offended that they played "Oh, Canada" before the games. But It's been awhile since I've heard Farmer, and I might be mixing in home games against the Blue Jays.

A winnable game, though. The trip to the mound after the two-out hit with the 3-1 lead suggested Shields was tiring, regardless of his pitch count. But in the end, this and the loss to Baltimore in the previous series, was a game where the Sox were in control but didn't have the bullpen to back up a faltering starter. Teams like the Orioles and Blue Jays can exploit that weakness, even thought their own pitching problems have them playing around .500.

Any chance the Sox had of coming back were severely dimmed when the Jays kept scoring after taking the lead. Today's story was the story for most of last year.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:22 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I think we can say that the clock officially has struck midnight on Anthony Swarzak's Cinderella story.

I am thinking the same thing but hopefully its now next man up. I guess thats petricka for now and maybe Putnam or Jones but who knows when and if they come back.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:54 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I am thinking the same thing but hopefully its now next man up. I guess thats petricka for now and maybe Putnam or Jones but who knows when and if they come back.
Yeah, I feel like Renteria has used Swarzak and Jennings a lot to cover up for starters not going deep into games. Today, those two relievers faltered.

He's going to have to start giving more opportunities to Petricka, who should have the fresher arm. Maybe they can use Holmberg in some of those situations once Rodon comes off the DL -- I'm assuming he'll take Holmberg's spot in the rotation.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
Yeah, I feel like Renteria has used Swarzak and Jennings a lot to cover up for starters not going deep into games. Today, those two relievers faltered.

He's going to have to start giving more opportunities to Petricka, who should have the fresher arm. Maybe they can use Holmberg in some of those situations once Rodon comes off the DL -- I'm assuming he'll take Holmberg's spot in the rotation.
Wouldn't Holmberg be the guy optioned to Charlotte to make room for Rodon on the roster?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Wouldn't Holmberg be the guy optioned to Charlotte to make room for Rodon on the roster?
Holmber's pitched well and has a WHIP under 1. What about Petricka?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I nominate Gregory Infante.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yikes.
Saw a story in the Tribune today (won't link it because it is a pay wall) that quoted Robertson as saying this is "the worst schedule he's ever been a part of..."
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Saw a story in the Tribune today (won't link it because it is a pay wall) that quoted Robertson as saying this is "the worst schedule he's ever been a part of..."
Maybe so, but haven't we in previous years complained about too many home games early in the season, when the weather was cold and wet and kids were still in school? Seems like MLB gave us what we wanted, and now we're complaining?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Maybe so, but haven't we in previous years complained about too many home games early in the season, when the weather was cold and wet and kids were still in school? Seems like MLB gave us what we wanted, and now we're complaining?
As I stated the last time an individual brought up your exact point.

There has to be a middle ground between 13 April home games, which the Sox have had in recent seasons in lousy weather and playing roughly 60% of the entire road schedule for the season...before June 23rd.

It's not rocket science...we're not trying to split the atom here.

Also again the Sox themselves under JR's orders have brought scheduling inequities or areas they are upset about to the notice of MLB. They have been unhappy about things for years regarding interleague opponents, when the Yankees come to town and the overall quality of weekend opponents specifically.

Obviously MLB (or someone) doesn't feel its worth adjusting the computer determined schedule to address them.

My solution? Simple...either go back to 154 games (which MLB has discussed) and start a little later in April or keep 162 games but still start later in April and play some split DH's (since MLB will never again go back to real DH's like in the old days...)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Also again the Sox themselves under JR's orders have brought scheduling inequities or areas they are upset about to the notice of MLB. They have been unhappy about things for years regarding interleague opponents, when the Yankees come to town and the overall quality of weekend opponents specifically
Every team , outside the AL East, wants the Yankees for weekend games, huge attendance.
How do you accommodate all those teams?