White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Interleague opponents, the Yankees being in town during the week (instead of on weekends) and getting better opponents on weekends overall to help attendance have been the issues singled out to me.
Interesting stuff. I always thought the Yankees and Red Sox being here during the week was done by design to maximize drawing power on weekdays.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I guess they could either schedule an off-day for any road team after a Sunday Night Baseball appearance or schedule any series featuring a game on Sunday Night Baseball as a four-game series with a "wrap-around Monday" day game, but that probably would not help.
I don't know if that'll work since the Sunday night participants aren't necessarily written in stone - I can think of a few times where the Sox have been moved to the Sunday night game during the week.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
I don't know if that'll work since the Sunday night participants aren't necessarily written in stone - I can think of a few times where the Sox have been moved to the Sunday night game during the week.
What I have always loathed about Sunday Night Baseball is its inconvenience. I used to drive from Arizona to Anaheim to see the Sox play the Angels for weekend series. I did that for about 20 years. I had to be at work Monday morning. There was no way I could do Sunday night baseball. When I lived in suburban Milwaukee, I used to drive down to Chicago for Sunday Sox games because it was pretty much my only window. I had to be at work at 5:30 a.m. the next day.

Sundays have long been days when people would come from out of town. There really is no reason to ever play baseball on Sunday night.

I haven't watched Sunday Night Baseball in more than a decade, perhaps not since the 20th century, and when I did, it certainly was a White Sox game. I am not inspired to watch two teams that are not the White Sox play on Sunday night. I might have missed a few Sox games, but I'm probably driving home from the Bay Area and wasn't around Now that there are so many games on during the week on MLB, and fans are generally watching their own teams play on Sunday afternoon.

I am a huge baseball fan and watch a lot of baseball. I find it hard to believe anyone watches Sunday night baseball unless their team is playing.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I am a huge baseball fan and watch a lot of baseball. I find it hard to believe anyone watches Sunday night baseball unless their team is playing.
Isn't it usually the most-watched game of the entire week? I'm more likely to have the Sunday night game on than any other given its time and my TV habits.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Isn't it usually the most-watched game of the entire week? I'm more likely to have the Sunday night game on than any other given its time and my TV habits.
Of course, except for Sunday nights, the baseball that MLB and ESPN shows is competing with baseball people would rather see in many markets. Really, it depends on who is playing and what city you're measuring the viewership. On the West Coast, live Sunday night baseball starts three hours earlier than the East Coast so the time is very inconvenient. There was an ABC affiliate station in El Centro, California, in the 1980s that ran Monday Night Baseball, when that was on ABC, on a delay to fit their prime-time schedule, but that didn't help because people want to see their live sports live.

The ratings for regular season baseball in generally is dwarfed by dramatic television. What is unique about Sunday night baseball is that it's the only baseball on television at the time. Most people, even most baseball fans, aren't watching it unless it's their team. For most people, especially people with families and commitments, baseball on Sunday nights that isn't your team is inconvenient.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM
WSI High Priest

I do think that TBS having the Sunday afternoon games in the second half of the season did take away some of the appeal of Sunday night baseball. Since it is a national audience, nothing wrong with putting the popular teams out there.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Anatomy of a hit job

Monday night I caught a bit of the Padres radio broadcast of the Padres vs. Cubs game. The Padres broadcasters were quite livid about Rizzo taking out the Padre's catcher. In the post-game the Padre's manager didn't mince words he called it a "cheap shot" amongst other comments. Before going into diatribes about "that's how the game is played..." and "old time baseball..." remember that MLB instituted rules to protect the catcher. Rizzo clearly went out of his way to take out the catcher, who had no idea he'd be hit by Rizzo since the catcher gave him a clear lane to the plate. Rizzo would have been safe had he slid. Rizzo was called out, but not because of his dirty play but because he was out. The SD catcher had to leave the game.

Now if the Padres retaliate, their pitcher and manager will no doubt get tossed and fined. That DRB Rizzo gets to parade around like an aggrieved person.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-20-2017, 01:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Here is the photographic proof.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hit Job Cheap Shot 01.jpg (77.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Hit Job Cheap Shot 02.jpg (87.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 06-20-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Monday night I caught a bit of the Padres radio broadcast of the Padres vs. Cubs game. The Padres broadcasters were quite livid about Rizzo taking out the Padre's catcher. In the post-game the Padre's manager didn't mince words he called it a "cheap shot" amongst other comments. Before going into diatribes about "that's how the game is played..." and "old time baseball..." remember that MLB instituted rules to protect the catcher. Rizzo clearly went out of his way to take out the catcher, who had no idea he'd be hit by Rizzo since the catcher gave him a clear lane to the plate. Rizzo would have been safe had he slid. Rizzo was called out, but not because of his dirty play but because he was out. The SD catcher had to leave the game.

Now if the Padres retaliate, their pitcher and manager will no doubt get tossed and fined. That DRB Rizzo gets to parade around like an aggrieved person.
Here's hoping that a Padres hurler takes care of "suspending" Rizzo, especially after reading Maddon's comments.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really am not as much a Cub hater as some other Sox fans but what Maddon said was bull****. You can't watch a player injure a catcher to the point that he leaves the game and then literally say the words, "I loved it."

I never could stand Maddon with Tampa Bay and now that he's here I really can't stand him.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
I really am not as much a Cub hater as some other Sox fans but what Maddon said was bull****. You can't watch a player injure a catcher to the point that he leaves the game and then literally say the words, "I loved it."

I never could stand Maddon with Tampa Bay and now that he's here I really can't stand him.
Had Rizzo made an attempt to reach HP, he may have been safe. Rizzo choose to try to score by running over the catcher and dislodging the ball. However had the SD catcher dropped the ball, I'm sure the ump would have ruled Rizzo out.

I think Rizzo's play here was illegal but I believe the only remedy would have been if the ball was dropped.

If MLB had any balls they'd suspend or fine Rizzo. But as the "Posey Rule" was set to protect a star player MLB will also protect Rizzo a star MLB player and protect Rizzo by no MLB punishment.

And for anyone reading my comments saying it's because I'm a Cubs hater, let me assure you that I'd say the same if it was a Sox player instead of Rizzo.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 PM
WSI Regular

I'll admit I'm a Cubs hater but I'm really tired of the "genius" Maddon and his b.s.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 AM
WSI Guru

Maddon is a senile old man who has no idea *** he's talking about. Sickens me that he got a World Series ring. You hate to see good things happen to bad people.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 PM
WSI Guru

By the way Torre ruled it was a violation of the rule but no discipline will be forthcoming.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoxfan View Post
I'll admit I'm a Cubs hater but I'm really tired of the "genius" Maddon and his b.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Maddon is a senile old man who has no idea *** he's talking about. Sickens me that he got a World Series ring. You hate to see good things happen to bad people.
Maddon's comments were Ozzie Guillen level and beyond idiotic.
Closed Thread