White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default 2018 Draft

Early I know...

However, looking at the top hitters that will be available next year, I LOVE our chances to land a huge prospect. There are 6 hitters that I would consider as game changers. Of course, it is way too early, but here goes:

Brice Turang SS
Jarred Kelenic OF
Joe Gray Jr OF
Seth Beer 1B
Tristan Casas 1B/3B
Luken Baker 1B

Looking like a much better 2018 class than 2017.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Early I know...

However, looking at the top hitters that will be available next year, I LOVE our chances to land a huge prospect. There are 6 hitters that I would consider as game changers. Of course, it is way too early, but here goes:

Brice Turang SS
Jarred Kelenic OF
Joe Gray Jr OF
Seth Beer 1B
Tristan Casas 1B/3B
Luken Baker 1B

We seem to have decent third base and first base prospects in the minors. I would say a short stop would be an amazing get.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Unless there is a bona fide ace starting pitcher available, draft the best hitter regardless of position, even if that position is 3B or 1B. Even if Burger and Sheets become 10-year franchise cornerstones at the corners, we would still need a DH (or a third hitter to DH by committee).
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Unless there is a bona fide ace starting pitcher available, draft the best hitter regardless of position, even if that position is 3B or 1B. Even if Burger and Sheets become 10-year franchise cornerstones at the corners, we would still need a DH (or a third hitter to DH by committee).
Best Player available is the way.

You have to have pieces to trade down the line for when you eventually get good and need to buy for a pennant push.

The Cubs are going to get bailed out this year because of this added depth they have. They are going to buy a pitcher or two in the next weeks.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Best Player available is the way.

You have to have pieces to trade down the line for when you eventually get good and need to buy for a pennant push.

The Cubs are going to get bailed out this year because of this added depth they have. They are going to buy a pitcher or two in the next weeks.
They should (and probably will) but the recent comments by Epstein and Hoyer indicated that wasn't the preferred plan. (May be smoke and mirrors though...)
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Baseball America's look ahead at 2018:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...0UHrIPXXBGd.97
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

If the season ended today, the Sox would have the #3 pick in next year's draft. We're 1 game worse than the Reds and Padres and 3 games better than the Giants. The Phillies are firmly entrenched with the worst record at this point.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/group/overall
Old 07-20-2017, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Donwe draft by best available or by need?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

MLB you ALWAYS draft best available.

I personally still prefer Beer because I think his Bat is going to play very well.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

When in doubt about who is best you go for the one at position of need. I think we've seen that the last couple years when we've been drafting much needed position players at catcher and third and first, etc in drafts where a bunch of players ranked out very similarly.

With the system as deep as it is now I think you absolutely draft best available regardless of position. Yes, the system is weak in middle infielders compared to other positions now but I would not let that drive my draft. If best available is a pitcher or an outfielder where we are very strong then that is who you draft.

It's all about stockpiling quality.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:31 PM
WSI High Priest

The Sox now have the 2nd worst record in MLB. A half game worse than the Giants and only 1.5 games ahead of the Phillies for the worst overall record.

The way this team has been playing, it sure looks like we're heading for our first #1 pick since the Sox selected Harold Baines as the #1 overall pick in 1977.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
MLB you ALWAYS draft best available.

I personally still prefer Beer because I think his Bat is going to play very well.
Ditto. There's a few very interesting arms, too, but first overall I almost always want to grab the best bat regardless of position.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Early I know...

Brice Turang SS
Jarred Kelenic OF
Joe Gray Jr OF
Seth Beer 1B
Tristan Casas 1B/3B
Luken Baker 1B

So the question becomes... who is the best pick?

As of 8/6/17, the White Sox have the second worst record in baseball and appear to be headed to ending the season with the worst record and therefore the 1st pick. So who is best? I've looked at a couple different mock drafts and player rankings and there doesn't seem to be a consensus #1 pick at this point. The names I see come up most often in peoples top 3 are college pitcher Brady Singer, high school pitcher Kumar Rocker, high school SS Brice Turang, Seth Beer, and occasionally high school outfielders Jarred Kelenic and Joe Gray but there doesn't seem to be a clear order to them. And Beer, the only college hitter among them, drops farther down some peoples lists because of his defensive issues.

The good news is that the Sox minor league system is deep enough now that they can afford to draft a high schooler and wait a few years for him to mature. So perhaps Turang, Kelenic, or Gray while waiting until the 2019 draft to replenish the supply of pitchers.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
The good news is that the Sox minor league system is deep enough now that they can afford to draft a high schooler and wait a few years for him to mature. So perhaps Turang, Kelenic, or Gray while waiting until the 2019 draft to replenish the supply of pitchers.
I don't want to draft any high school player with the #1 pick. Given the level of competition there is just not enough to go on. Give me the best college bat.

Apr 3/4 L
Apr 9 L
Apr 22 L
May 13 W
May 26 W
Jun 13 W
Jun 15 W
Jun 23 L
Jul 15 L
Jul 26 L
Aug 10 W
Sep 2 W
Sep 27 W

Next Game: Apr ??

Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I don't want to draft any high school player with the #1 pick. Given the level of competition there is just not enough to go on. Give me the best college bat.
I wouldn't go that far. There have been some fine high school position players in the top few of the draft and several #1 overall.

I wouldn't draft a high school pitcher #1, including this kid Kumar Rocker this year, but would have no problem drafting a position player if it was felt he had the most talent.