And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-SideTrifecta View Post
Plus now Oakland announced a new ballpark today.
No actually they did not.

They hinted on Twitter that they have found a new location for a PROJECTED new stadium. And that location would be revealed later this year.

As the stories I've read on this have said, they've said in the past a new ballpark was coming a few times...and each time, the hard part...the funding, fell through.

The Raiders leaving may change the dynamics of this situation, we'll have to see.

History shows though that building stadiums in the Bay Area has been a real challenge taking a long time, many public votes and most importantly having an owner willing to put up the majority of their own money (a la the Giants Peter Magowan) to pull it off.

Lip
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
No actually they did not.

They hinted on Twitter that they have found a new location for a PROJECTED new stadium. And that location would be revealed later this year.

As the stories I've read on this have said, they've said in the past a new ballpark was coming a few times...and each time, the hard part...the funding, fell through.

The Raiders leaving may change the dynamics of this situation, we'll have to see.

History shows though that building stadiums in the Bay Area has been a real challenge taking a long time, many public votes and most importantly having an owner willing to put up the majority of their own money (a la the Giants Peter Magowan) to pull it off.

Lip

This is the main reason why I don't think the Sox are going to get a new stadium deal, unless they are willing to stay where they are at 13 years from now. No way will the state of Illinois build a new ballpark for the White Sox with the current deal they have. I doubt a new owner will put up any money either, they will look for any city that will. I'm worried, 10 years from now things will be interesting.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:27 AM
WSI Personality

Default New Stadium

I'm sure that the White Sox will be playing in a new stadium somewhere in the Chicagoland area when the present lease expires. Nobody ever talks about this but I've read a number of times that the present White Sox stadium has been a money maker for the State of Illinois with the hotel/motel tax. Stadiums are built with the intention of making money. People seemed to have forgotten that the City of Chicago offered to build a stadium for the White Sox in the South Loop in the 1980s. Unfortunately JR stupidly rejected the offer. A few years ago Rosemont and Cicero offered to build a stadium for the bad guys on the Northside. Both the White Sox and Bears will be playing in new stadiums when there leases expire. Somebody will figure out a way to make money with new the stadiums and it will be done.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 04-22-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think the poster meant competition between teams not competition as you are referring to as in free market competition.

Thanks.
Actually, what I meant was competition for product to show on the air. Lack of product is real.
Thinking about the Cub channel thats coming, if they don't have other teams, sports, schools, etc. That would leave 162 times four hours, over 365 days. Without alternatives, they would be left to show 5 replays on date of games, and god knows what on the others 203 days x 24 hours.
Hope this clears up what I meant.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Actually, what I meant was competition for product to show on the air. Lack of product is real.
Thinking about the Cub channel thats coming, if they don't have other teams, sports, schools, etc. That would leave 162 times four hours, over 365 days. Without alternatives, they would be left to show 5 replays on date of games, and god knows what on the others 203 days x 24 hours.
This is an excellent point actually and thanks for clarifying. In that respect it truly is a free market. All channels are free to bid on all products.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Just a point to add regarding replays, CSN does that right now especially with the Bulls and Blackhawks. They'll show the game live, the replay it that night, then show it again the next day. I know they also replay the baseball games at least once.

Pretty standard for all the regional sports networks, I've seen this often scanning the other channels via DirecTV.

To me that's not that big of an issue if the Cubs are starting their own network (or should I say when...)

Lip
Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'm sure that the White Sox will be playing in a new stadium somewhere in the Chicagoland area when the present lease expires. Nobody ever talks about this but I've read a number of times that the present White Sox stadium has been a money maker for the State of Illinois with the hotel/motel tax. Stadiums are built with the intention of making money. People seemed to have forgotten that the City of Chicago offered to build a stadium for the White Sox in the South Loop in the 1980s. Unfortunately JR stupidly rejected the offer. A few years ago Rosemont and Cicero offered to build a stadium for the bad guys on the Northside. Both the White Sox and Bears will be playing in new stadiums when there leases expire. Somebody will figure out a way to make money with new the stadiums and it will be done.
Yes, I agree. Someone will figure it out. I think the ballpark will be downtown, as part of a larger entertainment development. Does anyone realize that Chicago is a summer tourist town? As much as some may not like it, there will need to be an effort to attract that market to the ballpark, which there is no way that's going to happen in their present location. I don't want a suburban ballpark, it will be too long of a trip for me, because I doubt it would be South.