White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tom:

Just like hockey say isn't popular in Latin America, baseball is not going to ever be popular in Europe or Africa. Baseball has been trying this for literally over a century.

In the early part of the 20th century the White Sox and Giants made a pair of round the world tours to try to promote the sport. It just didn't work. You can't force people in countries with no history or connection to the game to embrace it.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Lip
Oh come on. Nobody's being forced into anything. If people are exposed to the sport and want to watch it, then great, they can. If they organized a World Cricket Classic with games in the US, would you be upset or just ignore it? I don't follow cricket, but I'd be casually interested in seeing a little.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
Oh come on. Nobody's being forced into anything. If people are exposed to the sport and want to watch it, then great, they can. If they organized a World Cricket Classic with games in the US, would you be upset or just ignore it? I don't follow cricket, but I'd be casually interested in seeing a little.
When I was in Australia in Feb. 87' I was invited by channel 9 in Sydney to come with them for the England-Australia match. It was interesting for a few hours but for me that's as far as it goes.

Lip
Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 AM
WSI Regular

This U.S. vs. DR game is unreal.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
This U.S. vs. DR game is unreal.
Yeah, just finished this. The last three US games have all been great. I'm glad the US is doing well. This is getting good.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Tom:

Just like hockey say isn't popular in Latin America, baseball is not going to ever be popular in Europe or Africa. Baseball has been trying this for literally over a century.

In the early part of the 20th century the White Sox and Giants made a pair of round the world tours to try to promote the sport. It just didn't work. You can't force people in countries with no history or connection to the game to embrace it.

Lip
The world has changed alot in the past 100 years since that White Sox world tour- and especially in the past 10-15 years- with technology like satellite, apps, internet, etc.- there is alot of revenue to be generated by creating fans and interest outside of MLB's "mature markets" (USA, Japan, Latin America,etc.)- and one 3 week tournament every 4 years to capitalize on that opportunity is not a huge investment.

Based on the general reaction to this year's WBC, the quality of the baseball, sold out Petco Park last night, I think it's a pretty clear success.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The world has changed alot in the past 100 years since that White Sox world tour- and especially in the past 10-15 years- with technology like satellite, apps, internet, etc.- there is alot of revenue to be generated by creating fans and interest outside of MLB's "mature markets" (USA, Japan, Latin America,etc.)- and one 3 week tournament every 4 years to capitalize on that opportunity is not a huge investment.

Based on the general reaction to this year's WBC, the quality of the baseball, sold out Petco Park last night, I think it's a pretty clear success.
Great. No worries. Enjoy it. I'll continue to ignore it and concern myself when the games actually mean something.

Lip
Old 03-19-2017, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

That game last night had be on the edge of my seat, just a pleasure to watch.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Netherlands vs Puerto Rico Monday night.
US vs Japan Tuesday night. This is the one I've been waiting for.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Tom:

Lip
Baseball is actually fairly popular in Italy, and I once saw a rack of White Sox jerseys for sale at Harrod's in London and Sox caps for sale in a sporting goods store around the corner from Trinity College in Dublin.

The World Baseball Classic isn't forcing baseball on people in other countries as Charles Comiskey and John McGraw did on the eve of World War I, but the two world wars exposed more of the world to baseball, just as the Civil War spread interest in baseball. Exposing the rest of the world to baseball as a participatory thing certainly has an upside to the sport.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Why is a guy who hit 40 home runs last year bunting with 2 on and nobody out?

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 PM
WSI Guru

Robby is on the mound when the U.S. wins it! Very cool.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Why is a guy who hit 40 home runs last year bunting with 2 on and nobody out?
Most likely because his previous 6 at bats - 6 strike outs. Just trying to get something going.