White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Madvora Madvora is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tom:

Just like hockey say isn't popular in Latin America, baseball is not going to ever be popular in Europe or Africa. Baseball has been trying this for literally over a century.

In the early part of the 20th century the White Sox and Giants made a pair of round the world tours to try to promote the sport. It just didn't work. You can't force people in countries with no history or connection to the game to embrace it.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Lip
Oh come on. Nobody's being forced into anything. If people are exposed to the sport and want to watch it, then great, they can. If they organized a World Cricket Classic with games in the US, would you be upset or just ignore it? I don't follow cricket, but I'd be casually interested in seeing a little.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
Oh come on. Nobody's being forced into anything. If people are exposed to the sport and want to watch it, then great, they can. If they organized a World Cricket Classic with games in the US, would you be upset or just ignore it? I don't follow cricket, but I'd be casually interested in seeing a little.
When I was in Australia in Feb. 87' I was invited by channel 9 in Sydney to come with them for the England-Australia match. It was interesting for a few hours but for me that's as far as it goes.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 AM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 461
Default

This U.S. vs. DR game is unreal.
__________________
GO WHITE SOX


CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Madvora Madvora is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
This U.S. vs. DR game is unreal.
Yeah, just finished this. The last three US games have all been great. I'm glad the US is doing well. This is getting good.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tom:

Just like hockey say isn't popular in Latin America, baseball is not going to ever be popular in Europe or Africa. Baseball has been trying this for literally over a century.

In the early part of the 20th century the White Sox and Giants made a pair of round the world tours to try to promote the sport. It just didn't work. You can't force people in countries with no history or connection to the game to embrace it.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Lip
The world has changed alot in the past 100 years since that White Sox world tour- and especially in the past 10-15 years- with technology like satellite, apps, internet, etc.- there is alot of revenue to be generated by creating fans and interest outside of MLB's "mature markets" (USA, Japan, Latin America,etc.)- and one 3 week tournament every 4 years to capitalize on that opportunity is not a huge investment.

Based on the general reaction to this year's WBC, the quality of the baseball, sold out Petco Park last night, I think it's a pretty clear success.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2017 Record: 2-2
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The world has changed alot in the past 100 years since that White Sox world tour- and especially in the past 10-15 years- with technology like satellite, apps, internet, etc.- there is alot of revenue to be generated by creating fans and interest outside of MLB's "mature markets" (USA, Japan, Latin America,etc.)- and one 3 week tournament every 4 years to capitalize on that opportunity is not a huge investment.

Based on the general reaction to this year's WBC, the quality of the baseball, sold out Petco Park last night, I think it's a pretty clear success.
Great. No worries. Enjoy it. I'll continue to ignore it and concern myself when the games actually mean something.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:55 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The world has changed alot in the past 100 years since that White Sox world tour- and especially in the past 10-15 years- with technology like satellite, apps, internet, etc.- there is alot of revenue to be generated by creating fans and interest outside of MLB's "mature markets" (USA, Japan, Latin America,etc.)- and one 3 week tournament every 4 years to capitalize on that opportunity is not a huge investment.

Based on the general reaction to this year's WBC, the quality of the baseball, sold out Petco Park last night, I think it's a pretty clear success.
That game last night had be on the edge of my seat, just a pleasure to watch.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Madvora Madvora is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,030
Default

Netherlands vs Puerto Rico Monday night.
US vs Japan Tuesday night. This is the one I've been waiting for.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tom:

Just like hockey say isn't popular in Latin America, baseball is not going to ever be popular in Europe or Africa. Baseball has been trying this for literally over a century.

In the early part of the 20th century the White Sox and Giants made a pair of round the world tours to try to promote the sport. It just didn't work. You can't force people in countries with no history or connection to the game to embrace it.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Lip
Baseball is actually fairly popular in Italy, and I once saw a rack of White Sox jerseys for sale at Harrod's in London and Sox caps for sale in a sporting goods store around the corner from Trinity College in Dublin.

The World Baseball Classic isn't forcing baseball on people in other countries as Charles Comiskey and John McGraw did on the eve of World War I, but the two world wars exposed more of the world to baseball, just as the Civil War spread interest in baseball. Exposing the rest of the world to baseball as a participatory thing certainly has an upside to the sport.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Marqhead Marqhead is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Shadow of the Sears Tower
Posts: 9,196
Default

Why is a guy who hit 40 home runs last year bunting with 2 on and nobody out?
__________________


Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 26,340
Default

Robby is on the mound when the U.S. wins it! Very cool.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Why is a guy who hit 40 home runs last year bunting with 2 on and nobody out?
Most likely because his previous 6 at bats - 6 strike outs. Just trying to get something going.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.